Sonic Generations

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, to celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog's 20th anniversary, Sega is making this, which stars the modern, skinny, green-irised Sonic teaming up with his classic, chubby, black-eyed counterpart in Green Hill Zone.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1162323p1.html

This certainly looks promising, especially considering how well-received Sonic Colors was with its colorful levels and lack of a Werehog. I could give two craps about what color Sonic's eyes were, but at least the fanboys are happy... for now.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
One thing I cant tell is if this is going to be a full game on a disk or download only. Anyway, I am looking forward to this (if its a disk, I cant download anything at home).

Though, I know I am in the minority when i say I liked Sonic Heroes, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Sonic Unleashed. Haven't played Colors yet. Sonic Rush was just...blah. The levels were ugly and the physics were horrible.

Sonic Advance is still the best modern sonic game though. (If you want to call it modern). I have yet to locate #2, but #3 seemed more like a quick cash grab. I mean, the levels had identical blocks with a pallet swap and the music was horrible. it just wasnt polished at all like the first one.

I'm not a Sonic snob though. Its like...get a life if all you feel like doing is complaining he has green eyes.

Though, I admit, I am a Knuckles fangirl and want him to be in everything :stick_out_tongue:

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I loved pretty much everything about this game. The graphics, voice acting, and gameplay were all fantastic. (but some people thought otherwise)

It doesn't really matter what eyecolor Sonic has, it all depends on how he plays.

I thought Knuckles and Tails' voice actors were superb (specifically for those characters)

Drtooth

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter what eyecolor Sonic has, it all depends on how he plays.
The fact that people complain about a video game character's redesign is freaking ridiculous... especially since that character changed his looks well over a decade ago.

How come I never hear anyone complaining about how Mario's Overalls and Shirt swapped colors since SMB 3?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The fact that people complain about a video game character's redesign is freaking ridiculous... especially since that character changed his looks well over a decade ago.

How come I never hear anyone complaining about how Mario's Overalls and Shirt swapped colors since SMB 3?

Or that they never complain that Mario's hair and mustache changed colors from black (on the Super Mario bros. 2 artwork) to brown?

AquaGGR

Reaction score
There's actually this thing called "The Sonic Cycle", which shows the cycle fans go through when a new Sonic game is announced. Sonic Generations broke the cycle because it was well received by fans, until people started complaining about how Sky Sanctuary isn't yellow or how the Sonic 1 port was horrible (the Sonic 1 port was a BONUS in the game! They complained about it despite the fact it was a little addition for when you finished the game! )

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Not to mention the original genesis games are available on nearly every electronic device available several times over. And there are nice little things called ROMS. I haven't even played the Sonic 1 bonus. I've got the Mega Collection and I have roms.

Anyways, seeing how my last post in this thread was before I ever played the game, might as well post my thoughts on it.

Ok, I am in the minority when I say I think there needs to be more fully 3D games. Not this weird 3D switching to 2.5D. I know they can do it. The 3D sections in Generations proves they can.

Minor gripe out of the way, I LOVED THIS GAME. I think I prefer the Modern Sonic stages over Classic Sonic. Classic Sonic is nice, but the Modern Stages I think were better designed and stuff. I just really despised Planet Wisp.

I wonder how far behind I fell in rankings for Modern Chemical Plant. Last year I was around 75. Last time I checked I dropped to like...90 something. Meh.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Sgt Floyd said:
I just really despised Planet Wisp.
Most people despised Planet Wisp.

I actually prefer Modern Sonic over Classic Sonic as well. Modern Sonic controlled very well in this game, and wasn't as slippery as he was in Sonic Adventure and Sonic '06 (that's why I can't finish either of them).

The only problem I had with this game was that it's kind of on the short side. The game could've been longer, or had some bonus levels.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The only problem I had with this game was that it's kind of on the short side. The game could've been longer, or had some bonus levels.

True. The mission levels or whatever they were called were...meh...at most. Game filler. But the fact that its still my most played ps3 game says something and even beating it 100% I still want to go back to it. Adventure doesn't make me want to do that. Never understood why everyone says Adventure is so great. Adventure 2 is just...meh. I like the Tails/Robotnik stages, but the treasure hunting stages are just awful and tedious. I spent almost an hour in that Pumpkin area and that space station area with knuckles :s I have the gamecube versions and the controls really are super slippery, and overall i think the gameplay is just tedious.

Sonic 4...I don't know if I can truly give a good opinion on it since I've only played the demo of Episode 2 and hated it. Might have a different opinion if I actually played the whole game and not a minute of a level :/

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Sonic Generations is pretty popular with the hacking/modding community. People have been hacking the game to play as other characters, as well as characters not even in the game, such as Mario. I've also seen levels from Shadow the Hedgehog imported into the game.

There's even some guys working on importing all the daytime levels into Sonic Generations. It's called "Project Unleashed".