1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sony's repackaged Muppet DVDs

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by panmanthe2nd, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

While I'll agree that it's too bad to be good, it's also to good to be bad. In other words, it's too good to be bootleg. If it were bootleg, the photoshop job would probably look terrible, along the lines of slapping a photo on another photo. Or worse, stretching out a photo on google images so that it fits the size of a DVD package.

The goal of front covers is to draw the audience's interest. Show them something weird, like Kermit and the gang running from government agents, the Muppets wrecking New York, anything that won't make the average buyer go, 'meh'.
  2. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

These aren't gonna look pretty on shelves. :p
  3. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

The large portraits and over-saturation are designed to "pop" on store shelves more so than the original cover art. I understand why they did it. It just doesn't have to look so crude.
  4. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I get what your saying. If you were to look at a huge wall of various movies, The bright saturation Kermit blinding ouchie cover is going to get more attention than other movies.
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  5. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I found the covers on amazon.co.uk and since then I've seen them in lots of shops, so it is real.

I've been thinking the same thing about the Kermit cover.
  6. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

When I said they would attract attention in more ways than one, this is what I was hinting at. But because they look so amaturish, they'll get attention, then probably laughed at and thrown back on the shelf. They will draw attentin because they are colorful, but also draw atention to how bad they really are.

Although, the MTM one is probably the best looking one...which isn't saying much.

I would say MFS if it wasn't for the terrible photoshop job on Gonzo.
  7. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

"We now present to you, Kermit's Swamp Years! This time. Starring Radioactive Kermit!!!"
  8. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

wow these are shocking covers:eek:I recently went to a shop with my mates and they had these on the shelves and when my mates saw them they thought they were bootlegs because of the awfull covers
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

But the problem is, these are marketed directly to little kids (something I hate in the Muppets, but works fine with Elmo), and they want a simple, non-cluttered, colorful cereal box look so they can pop out from the other overly colorful, cereal box looking DVD's....

where in-lies the FLAW. They make DVD's to stand out from the others that look exactly the same. I wouldn't see any Drew wuzzizface looking artwork (not that any of these films actually got them) for anything except an adult collector's edition... but we just can't have nice things.

I honestly don't see why the original covers aren't good enough, but I guess the whole point is to trick people into thinking these are new releases when they clearly aren't.
  10. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I'd be interested to know if the 'Muppets From Space' is a signal sided disc, or double sided like all the previous UK editions.

I'm guessing it's a signal sided disc, because on the back of the cover it only talks about it being in widescreen.
  11. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I still can't get over how bootleged these look. :skeptical:
  12. Drtooth

Uh... actually...

Bootlegs tend to have the actual movie posters on them. Low res ones, fuzzy ones...ones that are often printed off a home computer, but the actual movie poster.
  13. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

And sometimes the wrong movie poster. Ha!
    Mo Frackle and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  14. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Good point. But they still look really fake.
    They look like these fan-made things you would see on deviantART. And a really bad one too!
    Mo Frackle and jvcarroll like this.
  15. CaseytheMuppet

Mo Frackle does better photoshop than this! (He's really good, btw)
    jvcarroll and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  16. Drtooth

It's a shame when the official looks worse than the fake.

I'm not going to subject you to the Hong Kong VCD of Muppets From Space again, but it's Here if anyone's curious. You'll know it when you see it. There's like 2 Kermits in it. And that's the least of your problems. And THAT looked like a better effort than these.
    panmanthe2nd likes this.
  17. CaseytheMuppet

Oh, no please don't show us THAT again! :laugh:
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  18. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

i know, you could probably give a child this job and they could do a better cover than these ones ;):)
  19. Drtooth

It's not so much bad for me as terribly bland.

Disney FINALLY made some new posers, and I'm sure that we're going to see them on way too many products in no time. I'm guessing Disney didn't give Sony access to these.
  20. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

So I guess I'm the only one who likes them? I don't really like the fact that they are essentially "tricking" people into buying them, but I DO love that they are front and center in the (discount) shelves of the main stores. its good exposure for the Brand. I always rearrange them so that if there is more than one in a pile, I take it and put it in front of other dvds so it looks like there are more and you have no choice but to see them.

However, like I said, this is a bit like taking a current photo of Julie Andrews or a screen-cap from Princess' Diaries and slapping it on a dvd-edition of Sound of Music.
    Mo Frackle likes this.