1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Spammers at MC...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Fozzie Bear, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Hi, gang.

You know I'm always here at the boards through the week (and, yes, while I should be working!), but I can't always keep up with every thread that's posted.

If something looks as though it could be SPAM, please post a link to that thread here and, unless it's just blatant obvious SPAM, explain the reason you think it might be.

I think that'll help me keep a better eye on things and I can report these to Phil and the other moderators better; plus, this will help them locate such SPAM as needed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kev
    MuppetLuver2000 likes this.
  2. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Anything this dude posts. And he usually creates a simillar user name.
  3. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

Thanks Kevin.I know your busy with work.You've been doing a great job moderating.:excited:
  4. Fozzie Bear

Same spam as before, too; but the newest ones have been locked and the links deleted! :)
  5. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

I admit that I'm partly replying here so as to be in the same thread as two of my favorite MC posters (Fozzie and Vic, you guys still rule). But I'm also here to embarrasedly ask: What is spam (and I don't mean the lunchmeat or Muppet Treasure Island character)? And here's to the hopes that I haven't spammed as of yet (and my apologies if I did).
  6. Fozzie Bear

SPAM---internet scams. Don't know how it got the name, but when folks come to a place and post something that is more advertisement than anything, and the sole purpose of joining is to post "spam."

You also get "spam" mail. The guy in Africa who wants your bank account so he can direct deposit millions of dollars in your account--only to DEPORT your funds from you!

A case of spamming would be if I signed on only to post:

See Muley the Mule and Friends Comix at
    www.picturetrail.com/muleythemule
    And buy your Muley Gear at
    www.cafepress.com/muleythemule

Well, I'm on these boards all the time and I have posted those links when it was appropriate because someone asked about seeing a photo of the Mahna-Mahna I built, or about a Muley T Shirt--I've responded. In those cases, it's not SPAM.

Here's a thread (without the link) that was one of the many Spams:
    http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21738

Does that help any?
  7. anythingmuppet

anythingmuppet New Member

SPAM: Definition 1:
    A disgusting lunch meat
    Definition 2:
    The worthless posting of gibberish (eg. hwergkjldsl;kfaj!)

Sorry if I spammed when trying to define spam!
  8. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

You rock, Jay.

SPAM is also fake ham in a tin and Monty Python sings about it!
    I don't like SPAM!
  9. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Thanks for the education, guys! Oh, and don't forget to buy my stuff at....Bah ha! Kidding!
    ShanaynayXD and MuppetLuver2000 like this.
  10. Fozzie Bear

SPA...! Okay, you stopped in time. ;)
  11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Definition 3: An insult to America's best food.
    Greengables95 likes this.
  12. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Also, a note to anyone who comes across a Spam thread. It's kind of a personal peeve on my part, but PLEASE, DO NOT reply to it! It bumps it up and just brings more attention to it, which is what the spammer wants in the first place. And since we're a very family-oriented forum, I mean, we're such a tight community, that we are more likely to trust our fellow members and click the links, if they don't realise right away that it is spam. So please, again, do not bump up the topics. It will clutter the forum and we don't want to give our business to these people who just junk up the forum and want to take our money.
  13. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

We had lots of spam on the muppets downunder forum at one stage, theres special programs that act as robots and sign up as a different user and just post rubbish.
  14. anathema

anathema Active Member

Almost :) Spam is 'unsolicited commercial email', also known as UCE. The name comes from a classic Monty Python sketch set in a cafe, where every dish on the menu included spam (the food :). The point was, you got spam with everything, and so it is with email :-(

These are indeed scams. The specific one you mention is called the '419' after the section of the Nigerian penal code that deals with it (the majority of these scams originated in Nigeria, although these days they come from all over the place).

Never open emails you do not recognise. Even the simple act of reading a spam mail in programs such as Outlook can have unfortunate consequences: a common trick is to send HTML emails (which are evil in themselves) containing 1x1 pixel graphics. The graphic is hosted on a website run by the spammer, and when Outlook displays the email, it will download this graphic from the site. When this happens, the spammer is able to determine that your email address is active - that is, there is someone reading email at it - and the deluge of spam will increase. And of course, viruses travel by email...

If you don't know who sent it, delete it!
  15. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

16. Fozzie Bear

My mom tried that, then my dad told her about the birds and bees and, well...here I am.
  17. Fozzie Bear

Handled! Thanks for helping keep an eye on things, gang.

Okay, let's try to keep this thread only for reporting SPAM/SCAMS from here on out.
  18. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm getting those same e-mails a lot lately, this dude also either sends then under different aliases, or he has friends jumping on the bandwagon, because I'm getting a ton of e-mail from this guy! Only he's saying that I need to collect my inheritance, or they need my finacial/spiritual help.

And then lately, I've been getting e-mail from Viaagra! What in the world do I need Viaagra for?
  19. Fozzie Bear

There are tons of emails going out with the medication names misspelled so they can make it through your spam filter--you see those in your subject line, so you automatically know you can delete them. Anything that says "FW:" "FWD:" or "RE:" gets deleted from my email automatically by me. Another thing, too, is that if you can open your mailbox/inbox as wide as your computer screen, at the far right of the subject line are always a mix-n-match bunch of letters and numbers, and I've noticed that's always on spam emails.

I wish whoever the people are that is spamming MC would have their computers crash!
  20. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

That's been happening to me more recently lately. Of course, the spammers deliberately misspell everything so that it can make it through the filter. The one that I get most frequently is for "Ci-alis", but I've had the "Viaaggra" emails that D'Snowth talked about once or twice as well. You figure these spammers would have a better way to make a living... :(