Speculation: Muppets Most Wanted Video Game

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem with Muppet Video Games is that by translating it to a CGI medium, you inevitably lose the charm of the Muppets in the first place. You lose the life-like behaviour and spontaneity of the performers, things become very rigid and task based, and it misses the spirit of what the Muppets are and what they represent.
You're kidding, right? You kinda have to translate anything to CGI for a video game. That's like complaining that you have to turn the Muppets into Pixels for an 8 bit game. You're also essentially complaining about video games being video games. Sorry, but I don't get it.

Right now with the positive promotion that the Muppets are getting, I can't help but think a poorly made game would be detrimental to the brand as a whole, as a poorly made game might reinforce the belief that The Muppets are nothing but Disney's corporate puppets.
As opposed to every other Muppet video game made under Henson?

The collection of minigames goes back even further than you think... the first Muppets video game, Pigs in Space for Atari, was essentially Muppet based hacks of 3 Atari ports. In fact, out of the history of all Muppet games, the one thing that stands out is the Once Upon a Monster Kinect game which, shockingly enough, is the opposite of everything you said. And it's amazing.

A good, engaging video game is possible, and I'm sure Disney is racking its brain trying to come up with something (why we didn't get a The Muppets game tie in from the same company that somehow made Hanna Montana one).

Peace

Reaction score
I'm sure a well made engaging game is possible, but what I'm saying is that it's unlikely for such a thing to happen. I don't think that the required amount of effort would be put into such a game.

I'm well aware that you'd have to translate them to CGI for a video game. What I'm saying is that the magic of The Muppets itself might be hard to achieve in that sort of medium, not necessarily the overall look, and I'm questioning whether there needs to be a Muppet game in the first place.

And it's a little silly to compare early Atari games to today's video games. Of course the early games were Muppetized versions of Space Invaders, etc. - Those systems couldn't handle games that were too complex, and they were often rushed for release during beta stages, such as the Atari version of Pacman. Heck, a vast majority of games on Atari were just your generic space shooters. Games hadn't really evolved much at that point, so the point is moot.

The question is how to capture Muppet Magic without actual physical Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And it's a little silly to compare early Atari games to today's video games. Of course the early games were Muppetized versions of Space Invaders, etc. - Those systems couldn't handle games that were too complex, and they were often rushed for release during beta stages, such as the Atari version of Pacman. Heck, a vast majority of games on Atari were just your generic space shooters. Games hadn't really evolved much at that point, so the point is moot.
How is the point moot? I'm just saying that even in the beginning, the Muppet Games were collections of minigames? Pigs in Space... that stupid one where they're in a Carnival for the NES... always has been minigames. Even the Sesame Street games were collected as mingames at some point.

The Muppets don't work in video games because no one has been innovative. Licensed games have that problem. They're either a copy of something that came before it, or they do something completely different to the point where the game is unplayable. Then again, there are truly wonderful licensed games out there that are innovative and clever. It's not impossible for the Muppets to get one, but no one has bothered at this point.

And seriously... check out footage of One Upon a Monster. That captures the Muppets perfectly for CGI motion capture.

Peace

Reaction score
That's precisely what I'm saying. I'm not saying it's impossible for an innovative game, just that it's unlikely we'll get one at this point, because as I said, it's just a licensed game, and as such won't get the level of gaming innovation it deserves.

Combine that with the lack of Muppeteer Magic, and I don't think the end result would be great.

I mean, I'd like them to prove me wrong and design an innovative game, I just don't think it'll happen.

robodog

Reaction score
A Muppets side scrolling beat em' up. Play as Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie and Gonzo. Kermit clocks people with a banjo, Miss Piggy karate chops them, Fozzie tosses pies and Gonzo uses a giant mallet. Go through familiar areas like Kermit's Swamp, The Muppet Theatre, The Happiness Hotel and Pete's Diner. Bosses include Muppet villains like Doc Hopper, Nicky Holiday and Tex Richman. Constantine is the final boss. Enemies include different colored anything Muppets and various Muppet style creatures made up for the game.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The Muppets don't work in video games because no one has been innovative. Licensed games have that problem. They're either a copy of something that came before it, or they do something completely different to the point where the game is unplayable. Then again, there are truly wonderful licensed games out there that are innovative and clever. It's not impossible for the Muppets to get one, but no one has bothered at this point.
The best kinds of licensed games are those that are treated as games first and licensed properties second.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
There have not been many Muppet video games made, but for the most part the ones that have are great. Muppet Race mania, Muppet Monster Adventure, and Muppets Party Cruise are three of the best. The reason is they pull a lot of Muppets who have not been used and give them a small spotlight.

FunnyBear

Reaction score
There have not been many Muppet video games made, but for the most part the ones that have are great. Muppet Race mania, Muppet Monster Adventure, and Muppets Party Cruise are three of the best. The reason is they pull a lot of Muppets who have not been used and give them a small spotlight.
Yes, but was Muppet Party Cruise made for the Xbox? I was wondering about that

Drtooth

Reaction score
The best kinds of licensed games are those that are treated as games first and licensed properties second.
Funny thing is, when it comes to cartoons and movies, outside media is usually considered merchandise first. Even with comic books and novelizations. Some of them are quite good, however, because they're seen as outside media/expanded universe. All the comics based on cartoons I've read recently feel like they're an extension of the series (Adventure Time, especially). That takes vision and a staff that cares deeply for the subject matter.

Meanwhile video games have become a medium for story telling in their own right. Oh, they still rush out adaptions of movies and stuff as merchandise with not a crap given on any account... but Ghostbusters the Game should prove that they can essentially take a movie's worth of storytelling and put it into a game. I'd love to see something like that or wide open sandbox for a Muppet Game.

At this point, what I want to see is a Disney infinity Muppet expansion pack or something. Seems like they could fit movie elements in there, like they did with the pre-existing movies in the game already.