Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
this is GReat NEWS!! i KNEW ANOTHER muppet movie wasn't to far along now :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
After all the hype and the excitement and how much of a Muppet fan he is...I just don't see why he would not be involved. I mean almost every interview I see of him...he mentions something about puppets or the Muppets.
The toughpigs article quote has a very good reason...

TIME

it was nothing short of miraculous that he even had time to write and star in this movie when he's in like everything, especially a highly popular weekly television sitcom. I'm sure he also has at least one other project he'd work on as well. So if he can add some notes to the project, that's fine... if he manages to find time to get a pass of the script in that's also good... but if he can't, he can't.

But the confirmation alone is pretty good news. I mean, sure... now you get news that a sequel is happening a week after the movie comes out at the latest. There was no doubt Disney would have another Muppet film in the wings somehow. It was very much a low budget film, an no matter how it did, it wasn't a huge loss of money if no one saw it (unlike G-Force)... and it managed to almost double it's budget domestically.

That said, I really hope this isn't a direct sequel, but rather a follow up with another type of movie, like the Muppets usually have.

Alvin

Reaction score
Ok I can understand that. He's busy...but would be good to have him along again. I know what they should do they should have at least one scene in the movie that includes all of us die hard Muppet fans!!!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm not surprised Jason Segel isn't going to be involved with the sequel because his star is probably at its hottest right now and he's got a lot of other projects in the works (I think at least 2 movies plus How I Met Your Mother). I'm sure he'd like to write another script or something, but the guy is busy. Having Bobin and Stoller still involved is great, because they are two dedicated fans who won't toss the Muppets down any Studio DC-esque waters. The Muppets appear to still be in good hands. Plus this leaves the opportunity open to do something completely different for their next project.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not surprised Jason Segel isn't going to be involved with the sequel because his star is probably at its hottest right now and he's got a lot of other projects in the works (I think at least 2 movies plus How I Met Your Mother).

I don't know why it didn't take when I typed it... but like I forgot to put in the post above, right next to the very article on cinema blend was the story: On The Set Of The Five-Year Engagement With Jason Segel And Emily Blunt. Basically, you can't even talk about a movie he was in without seeing an article about a film he's currently working on right next to it. He's THAT busy!

zoebell

Reaction score
good news! i figured this would happen, given how successful and highly praised this movie was. and esp after an oscar win and all

and i'm not that worried, frankly, that jason won't be writing it, because nick and james bobin are still there and they were a big part of the success of this one too. i'm sure they can do fine without him. and who knows, nick may still ask him for ideas and what he thinks of the script and stuff. and i bet anything he'll have a cameo

i'm just happy it appears to be going forward! i wonder what they would do for a story this time, if they're going to stick with that whole "unrelated" sequel thing. i don't necessarily think they HAVE to do that- maybe they could do that this time, just for something different?

beaker

Reaction score
I pray Segel DOESNT have anything to do with it. Yes, I credit him for single handedly bringing the Muppets back and making the movie happen. But his grin happy, 4th wall breaking fantasy stuff ALL THE TIME, sappy sacarin "Muppet movie" is not something I want to see again. Ok, he made his movie his way. Great.

Can we please move the Muppets back to the independent filmmaking realism of the first three films? Especially the first and third? I see so many indie and foreign films that still embody the magic from that style of filmmaking and I don't see why they can't employ that. That "The Help" movie should have been a very serious, intense look at the effects of racism...but it has that all too modern, bright look and doesnt look truly period or serious at all. Thats the problem with all these modern films.

beaker

Reaction score
That said, I really hope this isn't a direct sequel, but rather a follow up with another type of movie, like the Muppets usually have.
If it's a sequel to the world established in the new film, I already have lost interest. Not only because I do not like that world, but because Muppets don't do sequels. They have zero canon. To break that just is bad form.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
If it's a sequel to the world established in the new film, I already have lost interest. Not only because I do not like that world, but because Muppets don't do sequels. They have zero canon. To break that just is bad form.
There's just one thing I would have a problem with. Would Walter be in the new movie? If he was then that will be a sequel.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I can confirm that this is true. Bobin and Stoller are indeed writing a script for another movie! NO ONE is "excluding" or "pushing out" Jason Segel. He virtually CANNOT be a part of the writing team because of his massive amount of commitments elsewhere. Don't go bashing Disney or anyone else. Jason is pursuing a successful film and television career in other areas. He brought the Muppets back into the spotlight... he did what he set out to do.

I have no idea if it will be a "sequel" or just another Muppet movie--and I doubt Bobin and Stoller do either. It sounds like they're just now in the very, very early stages of writing.

I for one am thrilled by this news! We're just FIVE MONTHS out from the release of The Muppets and already another movie has been picked up by Disney? That's HUGE, people. Segel or not, we're in for another wild ride.