Speculation: The Muppets Season 1 Blu-ray Bonus Features

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Since this season is almost over, and will be on dvd and blu-ray in a couple months, what kind of bonus features do you want to see?

I would love a behind the scenes feature with the puppeteers.
Also some puppeteer commentaries on some of the episodes.

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
An in-depth documentary with a long running time that includes the Muppet Performers, and commentaries on some episodes (or even all, but I know that would be even less likely these days unfortunately) would be something I would so love to see!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It has been said that a lot of stuff filmed had to be cut due to time. So extended scenes, outtakes, and a good blooper reel would be nice.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I would like a section on the performers who worked on this thing. Maybe a few topics that I wonder like new characters or going back on TV.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Wait, so is it confirmed that we're getting a DVD set awesome, I've got a lot recorded on a VHS tape, but I'm missing Hostile Makeover and Single all the Way as well as the new episodes, so I would love a DVD set, things I would want.

• Deleted Scenes
  • Behind the Scenes
  • Blooper Reel
  • Trivia maybe something like Muppet Morsels

I hope to buy a DVD set.

jobi71

Reaction score
If there's to be a DVD set I would be very excited. DVD's and even Blu-ray are kind of disappearing in favor of digital copies.

Assuming there will be one here are some thoughts:

1. The 10 minute pitch film. I know most (all?) of us fans have seen it, but I am sure many casual or new fans have not.

2. Deleted or extended scenes.

3. For lack of a better term - rehearsal/waiting for the crew bits. It is well known the puppeteers often keep their characters alive between takes or if there is some technical glitch. A good example is from The Jimmy Fallon show where he brought the Muppets in to sing The 12 Days of Christmas. There is a short (2 mins maybe less?) where they are standing around waiting for lights? sound? camera? Who knows? And they just begin talking and adlibbing and then burst into song. A song that Jimmy Fallon seems not to know all the lyrics.

4. Commentary. It is sorely lacking on so many Muppet projects. It doesn't have to be every episode. Let's say at least one episode per disc. I would want at least some performers involved, but I would like to hear from some writers too. We have often criticized some of the scripts. I am sure the writers did not intentionally misstep, but I'd like to hear/know what they were thinking and it might help me (us?) appreciate some things we didn't like the first time around. Plus at least one if not two character commentaries. Rizzo and Pepe are a natural pair and I think Deadly and Scooter would be a good one. Off hand I do not know which episodes would be best served by this.

5. Behind the scenes tours of the sets. I hear they are amazing to see.

6. Short featurette with some of the guest stars talking about working with the Muppets. During the first season of the Muppet Show they had some difficulty booking guest stars. I would bet money (and I am not a gambling man) that 98% of the celebrities they approached this time said yes right away.

7. Short featurette with the Muppet performers.

8. Short featurette about the new characters and the challenges with them.

9. Bloopers.

10. An Easter egg youtube like video of something - something Muppet fans have been missing. Maybe it is a new duet with Kermit and Piggy. Maybe a Vet's Hospital (although that may come back?) or a teaser for Pigs in Space youtube vids. Or some zany group number like Another Opening Another Show which has tons of Muppets - main and supporting. This video does not have to fit into the "world" of the new show. It would just be a video of some Muppets doing something they do well.

And that's a lot of special features. They better get busy right away. LOL

Drtooth

Reaction score
As long as no one complains that we're getting this before TMS seasons 4 and 5. After all, newer shows are mostly made to be easily licensed to DVD (though there are some stark exceptions), so it won't get caught up in the labyrinth of red tape like the older shows were.

And as long as it has special features period.

mr3urious

Reaction score
After all, newer shows are mostly made to be easily licensed to DVD (though there are some stark exceptions), so it won't get caught up in the labyrinth of red tape like the older shows were.
And then you have Shout! Factory's DVD release of WKRP in Cincinnati, which was able to clear the rights to about 4/5 of the music, which is still a lot more than the later reruns and Fox's flop of a season 1 DVD. If music rights are really an issue for TMS, I don't see what's stopping a big company like Disney.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So far it hasn't officially been announced that The Muppets will get a DVD or Blu-ray release, but I hope it does (I would expect late-summer/early-fall for the release).

I'd like to say that it should be two-discs and have one disc with the first ten episodes and second disc with the remaining 6, but I've read that a disc can only hold up to four hours. Maybe 8 episodes per disc (which wouldn't leave much room for bonus features, though the episodes seem to be around 21 minutes each), or make it a three-disc set with five on disc 1, five on disc 2, and six on disc 3. Or maybe have a bonus features disc.

Bonus features I want:
  • The 10-minute presentation pilot
  • The early promos for the show (with stars from other shows)
  • Comic Con Footage
  • The Muppet Show A Capella promo
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Audio commentaries
  • Some of the special Facebook videos promoting the show
  • The 2007 Muppet presentation pilot (probably unlikely, since the Disney executives hated it so much that they ordered Bill Prady to destroy every copy he had, but if Disney did keep a copy in its archives, or if Prady went against the orders, then release it!)

Thinking more about how to organize the discs.... Let's say make it a three-disc set, two with eight episodes each and the third a bonus disc. The first two discs can have audio commentaries (obviously) and deleted scenes for the respective episodes, disc 1 can have the presentation pilot as well, and then disc 3 can have all the other bonus features on my wishlist, maybe also a big featurette on the show. Or maybe the DVD set can just be the two discs and features I suggested for each disc, and the additional bonus features could be exclusive to the Blu-ray.

Another "third disc" option I'd like would be a "Muppets Pilots" disc. It could have the presentation pilot, the 2007 presentation pilot (again, if it exists), the 2002 pitch tape, and the "America's Next Muppet" pilot. It'd also be cool if it could have the pilot versions of the first two TMS episodes, The Muppet Show Pitch Tape (even though we already have it on DVD), the pilot verison of the MuppeTelevision "First Show", and maybe the first episode of Muppets Tonight (not sure if that got any major changes between taping and airing). But I'm probably just going wild there.