Spencer's Muppet Merchandise

beaker

Reaction score
i know which one your talking about and it surprised me to see it too

but i have yet to see it in a kids size, and the turtle design is the older turtles im more surpised it Passed the peter laird(one of the creators) test at the time. the turtles were his babies
I have noticed an emphasis, almost entirely on the late 80's turtles. I believe I know what piece of merchandise Drtooth is referring to, something so adult I doubt any kid could pick up the message. However I just love the iconography of the turtles and pizza!

I find it curious Sesame Street writes up these official letters saying 'bert and ernie are absolutely not gay!' but then
release an official line of bert and ernie rainbow merchandise for Hot Topic's LGBT line. So I think what we are seeing is major iconic children's characters used in a variety of ways that to some could be seen as taboo pushing, but done in a wink and nod cutesy way.

Spencer's is a bizarre stuff. They have a lot of novelty/junk stuff, a lot of racy and "adult" stuff, and then you find fun/nostalgia type stuff like the Muppet items mentioned here (I gotta go get Kermit socks now)

I'm also a big Rocky Horror fan and in the past have gotten some cool Rocky Horror merchandise from Spencer's that I haven't seen anywhere else.
What did you think of that Glee Rocky Horror episode? I couldnt believe they did a whole episode of that, tho I know some people took issue with Frankenfurter not being protrayed by a more suited actor

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
yea i think if it was the current turtles , the 2k3 ones we wouldnt see the shirt with the innuendos and what not, i mean i personally have no issue with them... outside the price sometimes

and i totally agree with you on the bert and ernie ones

beaker

Reaction score
yea i think if it was the current turtles , the 2k3 ones we wouldnt see the shirt with the innuendos and what not, i mean i personally have no issue with them... outside the price sometimes

and i totally agree with you on the bert and ernie ones
I myself find the 2k3 April way more attractive, but then again I found the mousy receptionist on The Real Ghostbusters to be quite a looker:3 Still, I gotta give it up for the yellow jumpsuit!

Btw, did you see the Turtles Forever animated movie?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
indeed i did and i shared it with all my friends it was a great send off to both series

muppfozz

Reaction score
Spencers has Muppets ! I get go excited when any store has Muppets stuff. I have not been in Spencers for a very long time but it had some very weird stuff back when I would visit the Mall. :rolleyes:

muppfozz

Reaction score
They also have Kermit and Animal footie pj's for adults, a Fraggle Rock Snuggie, a Fraggle rock wall clock, and Fraggle Rock hats!

My best friend works at a Spencers! So I get first pick sometimes.. hahahahha!
:confused:just looked on
spencers website and could not find the fraggle wall clocks... where did you see it again? spencers? maybe store and not website.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
yea, most of the Merch mentioned is in store, which i know some people dont like going in there do to the other things they sell

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have noticed an emphasis, almost entirely on the late 80's turtles. I believe I know what piece of merchandise Drtooth is referring to, something so adult I doubt any kid could pick up the message. However I just love the iconography of the turtles and pizza!
Lemme tell you something. Sometimes I see something so incredibly "I can't believe they got away with that" my heart stops and I get the goofiest look on my face. I almost fainted or laughed myself to death looking at said T-shirt. And this is the same anime dub company that was so overly obedient to American BS&P that every 15 year old in the US wanted to blow the place up (but was content making passive aggressive videos on Youtube). you ever try to talk sense to any of them? Anyway... well, now that I see it, they had an AWFUL lot of innuendos on Ultimate Muscle and Funky Cops.

Though, I will say I'm totally conflustered by the "Turtles don't do drugs" Beer can cosies. :eek:

I find it curious Sesame Street writes up these official letters saying 'bert and ernie are absolutely not gay!' but then
release an official line of bert and ernie rainbow merchandise for Hot Topic's LGBT line. So I think what we are seeing is major iconic children's characters used in a variety of ways that to some could be seen as taboo pushing, but done in a wink and nod cutesy way.

Like, I KNOW, right? As long as we don't have any Cookie Monster= junkie type stuff. Though, I wish Sega embraced the "SnooPING AS Usual" meme on T-shirts the way Sesame Street embraced the Ernie and Bert rumor.... think Dr. Eggman actually said that in a game or comic or something... But I STILL wanna Telly T-shirt that says "Neutortic" on it.

What did you think of that Glee Rocky Horror episode? I couldnt believe they did a whole episode of that, tho I know some people took issue with Frankenfurter not being protrayed by a more suited actor

Off topic, that's one of 2 episodes I willingly sat through the full way. I know what they were going for, though... the whole "You can do whatever you want and be whatever you want and do whatever you be and be whatever you is (as long as it's a hobby! You're gonna work as an accounted or data entry drone and LOVE IT and that's an order)" message of the show. I dunno... that song is really something that you have to sing a specific way or it doesn't sound right. Shouting it loudly took the ...well... tension out of it. That said, I try very hard to watch and like that show, but either the music interrupts the plot when the plot is good, or the plot interrupts the singing when the singing is good. It's not a bad show, mind everyone, but I just can't get into it.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I had mixed feelings about the Glee episode. I thought the music was done very well. I had no issue with the girl playing Frank, because many females do play Frank at the local theaters. My biggest gripe was the changing around/cutting of some of the lyrics to the songs and not enough screentime for guests Barry Bostwick and Meat Loaf. I thought it was a cute tribute, but I don't get the whole "Glee" thing and the popularity of the show, but I guess I'm not it's target audience, either..

beaker

Reaction score
I had mixed feelings about the Glee episode. I thought the music was done very well. I had no issue with the girl playing Frank, because many females do play Frank at the local theaters. My biggest gripe was the changing around/cutting of some of the lyrics to the songs and not enough screentime for guests Barry Bostwick and Meat Loaf. I thought it was a cute tribute, but I don't get the whole "Glee" thing and the popularity of the show, but I guess I'm not it's target audience, either..
I dont like the show either, though I LOVED last week's The Office episode about Glee watching parties. But I just liked Rocky Horror was introduced to a whole new generation of tv goers with Glee