Spirited Away Finally

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I finally saw Animation Academy Award winner Spirited Away. I must first state that I have never liked Japanese animation of any sort. This film is different.

Bear with me. I have to get my general gripes out of the way first.

It is well known that I have high standards for animation – especially in feature films. In case some of you guys are not aware, film is projected at 24 frames per second. In the highest quality of animation (Disney feature standards) the image changes in each of the 24 frames. In cheaper animation the image changes every-other frame or sometimes even less. This creates an unattractive choppy effect that throws me out of the film. Much of anime falls victim to this because of their shoestring budgets and, to some extent, so did this film. There are some breathtaking scenes scattered throughout the production that are made even more beautiful juxtaposed to others.

Another issue is character animation. There isn’t much of life in the characters’ eyes or face. I’m not sure if it is a cultural influence or a budgetary one, but the faces of the characters are cardboard and unexpressive. I can’t see why that would be intentional, but when compared to the rest of the film it certainly is strange.

Watching this film I couldn’t help but wish they had some of Disney’s artist working on some of the key character close-ups. However, the old lady was amazingly expressive, so I guess they just reserve that element for the evil characters. The rest have almost Speed Racer style vacant expressions much of the time.

The pacing could also have been tighter. It is over two hours. Maybe if they’d economized some of the shots they could have raised the bar to 24-frame animation. Even though it’s long, I really didn’t feel it.

Now that I’ve cleared the air about the details, I highly recommend this film. It has more wonderment than a Harry Potter film and an original, imaginative story to tell. The characters are memorable and a definite departure from anything you would expect. As for the story, you never know what wacky thing is going to happen next. There isn’t much of a formula to this film and it’s great. Also, not all of your questions about this world will be answered. I like that too.

Miyazaki is a master artist in my opinion and has opened my eyes to an entirely new style of animation. There are also previews of Kiki’s Delivery Service and other interesting films he has made. The animation is much more crude in my opinion, but the story and artwork are interesting enough to make me want to check them out. You can’t fault a film for having a low budget, but it’s difficult for me to watch 6-8 frame animation. We’ll see.

I don’t want to give much away, but this film deserved the Oscar and gets a definite B+ from the Frogboy. If you liked Labyrinth, Alice in Wonderland, The Neverending Story or Harry Potter, you'll love this film. I'm glad tho have the DVD. I hope Miyazaki continues to work with Disney and maybe work with them next time. Not likely, but from what I have learned from Spirited Away – a person can always dream. :smile:

B+

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Yeah! Already on DVD too! I am a great cartoonist! I will show some of my work to ya guys a k!
from
BARRY LEE
(Ps: Getting my own art exibihit too!)

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I don't know how much of it is Miyazaki working with Disney and how much is just Disney and Miramax (or whoever) doing the dubbing for the film. I'm sure he had to have had some degree of input for the dubbing to come out as well as it did.

Spirited Away, like Miyazaki's other films, is Japanese anime which means it was animated, produced, released, etc. in Japan first, with Japanese voice actors providing the voices.

Just clearing up what seemed to me to be a misconception. If it wasn't, I apologize.

-Kim

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, this is a quality Anime film. I'm not sure you know this, but anime films are basically cranked out like no ones business in Japan (why do you think we have 5 Pokemon movies?)

Usually, these are short movies (about 50 minutes or less) and based on television shows (roughly the equivillant of Powerpuff Girls the Movie, or Wild Thornberries). i mean, a mildly successful cartoon (lets say Kinnikuman) would have at least three movies, and something increadably popular Like Dragon ball Z would have many many more.

Spirited Away, Princess Monanoki, and films like that are of a higher quality (the afore mentioned ones are basically longer theatrically released episoes, with slightly better quality animation). So, It's like basically A Disney animated Movie vs. like Hey Arnold the moive or something.

I have yet to see it since Diz practically hid it away in art house theaters, while junk like the Jungle Book 2 got a national release.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Well, this is a quality Anime film. I'm not sure you know this, but anime films are basically cranked out like no ones business in Japan (why do you think we have 5 Pokemon movies?)
That's nothing. Digimon has seven movies, and it's doubtful that Toei will be coming out with an eighth now that Digimon is officially over and done with (as in, no season 5).

I have yet to see it since Diz practically hid it away in art house theaters, while junk like the Jungle Book 2 got a national release.
Well, you've got two chances now. I know that after the Oscar win Spirited Away was re-released in theatres nation wide, with more places showing it. And it was released on VHS and DVD on Tuesday.

-Kim

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Disney's connection to the film is explained in the featurette. They basically just released it and provided the translated track. That was my point. I would like to see them involved in some of the character animation in a future project. They would keep it from being quite as stiff. I felt at arms length with the lead character because her face wasn't that expressive - barely even blinked. Disney has brilliant way of communicating a character's feelings with subtle facial gestures. Miyazaki lacks this skill, but has many others, as you will see in the film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet
That's nothing. Digimon has seven movies, and it's doubtful that Toei will be coming out with an eighth now that Digimon is officially over and done with (as in, no season 5).
Well... they only released one over here, and it did quite poorly (I can't even say I saw a commercial for it, and If I still didn't have the lousy Fox News letter , which I got back when Eek the Cat was on the air, I never would have heard of it) Of course, guess who's releasing Poke movies now... DIZNEY!!!!

Disney's connection to the film is explained in the featurette. They basically just released it and provided the translated track. That was my point.
Yes, but it would have been nice to actually see it at the theaters for a week! :mad:

Jungle Book 2 was a complete DISGRACE!!! I mean, Baloo was Bearable, and the vultures were okay, but they completely CRAPPED ALL OVER THE CLASSIC!!!! They could have at LEAST had Louie in the movie. I had to take someone to that, an I snuck into Harry potter, and I hated both! I was too late to sneak into Lord of the Rings afterward!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
They promoted it a lot in this city, but maybe only major cities received that sort of treatment. A few theaters in the area showed the film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, over here it was at one art house theater. They only ran it a few times, mostly at Midnight (and I don't even want to stay out that late for Rocky Horror!!!) and aout a week after it won an oscar. i Missed the ONLY showing, and that day, I had to take my sister to friggin Harry Potter and Junky Book 2! (Well... I didn't want to see HP, but I expected JB2 to be mildly enjoyable for a crappy film and it was a disappointment even for a purposeful waste of time!

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Been meaning to see this, actually...Along w/Princess Monanoki & a couple of other anime films that look pretty good to me....My bro's a major classic film buff, and I'm an animated movie buff, so hopefully these'll kinda make for a pretty hsppy medium!!!