Spirited Away

beaker

Reaction score
Well, last night I finally got to see the highly awaited new film by Miyazaki(Princess Mononoke, Totorro, Kiki's Delivery Service), "Spirited Way". And oh my, more astonishing it could not be. Thankfully that Pixar head Lazzeter got involved a year ago, for which Disney might not even had gotten involved. While it does say 'Walt Disney Pictures presents a Studio Ghibli film' the mouse thankfully keeps its paws off this one.

Hailed as one of the best films of the year, and winner of too many festivals to count(and is even the #1 grossing film in Japan of all time) Spirited Away has to be seen to believe. Some people might just think of 'anime' as scantily clad gore bimbos or kiddy stuff...but just 5 minutes into this beutiful and wonderment epic you'll find a new appreciation for this art form.

Sadly Disney has once again gone out of their way to under promote this film...most Disney fans might not even know of this films release(on the contrary, the PR campaign to that Don Bluth looking Treasure Planet is in full swing) I cant answer why Disney has chosen to under promote this, though I suspect it might be due to the perception middle America wont embrace very Japanese traditions or ideals(The 'national centric mentality companies percieve) and thats a shame. I wonder if anyone on laughingplace.com is even talking about this.

forget any Disney film youve seen, this is the one that should set a new standard in not only animation...painstakingly hand drawn animation(not cheap cells over cgi) but vivid storytelling. Like a mix of Neverending Story and something we havent seen before, this film explodes with the most dreamlike visuals and even this really abstract but infectious sense of humour.

This probably wont be in theatres too long, given the fact people might think it to be too out there or existential...but as a film for kids...it brings back that sense of wonder and awe ya saw in theatres in the mid 80's...with the astonishment of the most beautiful japanese paintings come to life.

This is truly a treasure that has to be seen on the full screen to
be appreciated. While I feel bad for the kids whose parents made em see recent Disney abominations Country Bears and Return to Neverland, taking your kid to see this more than makes up for that...and really needs to win next years oscar for best animated feature.

BigSPEEGS

Reaction score
I just saw this last week in digital projection on one of the biggest screens in the city.

WOW.

I don't understand why Disney would want to underpromote this film like they are... this could really make a lot of money. Anyway, great film.

-SPEEGS

grail

Reaction score
WHY WON'T THEY SHOW THIS HERE?!?!?!?!?!?!

ahem...sorry...i really want to see this, but as of yet, we do not have a local theater playing it. we've got one showing the new cut of the original Metropolis soon, but still no Spirited Away. it just isn't fair, i wanna see this so bad...

BigSPEEGS

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
WHY WON'T THEY SHOW THIS HERE?!?!?!?!?!?!

ahem...sorry...i really want to see this, but as of yet, we do not have a local theater playing it. we've got one showing the new cut of the original Metropolis soon, but still no Spirited Away. it just isn't fair, i wanna see this so bad...

See Metropolis. That still topples ANY film's visual effects. Seeing it on the big screen is crucial.

-SPEEGS

SammieRose

Reaction score
Originally posted by BigSPEEGS
See Metropolis. That still topples ANY film's visual effects. Seeing it on the big screen is crucial.

-SPEEGS
I haven't seen the movie yet (it'll be years before it even reaches here) but I do have the soundtrack. The music is absolutely beautiful. My boyfriend introduced me to Miyazaki through Princess Mononoke, and I really loved that movie, so I cannot WAIT to see this one!

grail

Reaction score
speegs - don't i know it! trust me, as soon as it opens (here in a couple weeks) i'm there. i have one of the various cuts of the movie on DVD, but i guess they cobbled together like a whole new half hour or so of the original footage.

it's a real shame that there's STILL some missing because i'd love to see the actual whole thing, the Lang originally made it. but alas, i shall have to wait. does anyone know what music they're using with it this time out?

sammie - i love Princess Mononoke. it's a really weird movie, but it's just facinating. if i think about it too hard, i could probably make myself get bored, but as it is, i just can't look away. it's one of those DVDs that i watch again and again, and never get tired of...

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
I too love Princess Mononoke. The thing I really liked about was the fact that neither side was good or evil. Both sides had reasons, but both were flawed. And the animation was just really... fast paced and exiciting! I wanna see it again now.

And, in Canada, I've seen a bunch of posters at theatres for "Spirited Away"... I don't know if it's playing here yet, though, I gotta check it out! Oooooooooh... if it is, maybe I'll go see it tonight! I just hope Disney didn't butcher it too much.

^_^ Debo

crazy ernie

Reaction score
Disney didn't butcher it at all,It was part of the agreement that Disney made with Tokuma(It owns studio ghibli,the company that made the movie)

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I just got back from seeing "Spirited Away". I went to a late show with Rachel, my girlfriend, and two other friends of ours.

Rachel went into the film highly skeptical at best. She's been tainted against japanese animation by the shows that you can find on Cartoon Network...not really her cup of tea.

Anyway, both of us (I can't speak for our friends) were just in awe at the extraordinary creativity, love and beauty of this film. I found that several times throughout the film my eyes were just wide in wonder at the images I was beholding on the screen. The animation was simply incredible.

Halfway through the film I looked at Rachel and saw her leaning forward in her seat absolutely riveted by what she was experiencing.

The story itself was wonderful and imaginative but not your typical good vs. evil plot. Saying that much, I think that's a very good why this film won't do well with American audiences which is unfortunate. Your average movie-goer wants something clear-cut, distinct and familiar when they go out to the movies. I have sneaking suspicion that this film will only confuse viewers who buy a ticket expecting to be able to sit back and not think...of course...that's exactly why I loved it.

It's made my top ten film list for 2002. Go see it! It's around you just have to search for it a little bit.

Ornery

Reaction score
I heard about this film from someone on-line. A friend and I had to drive over hours to find somewhere that it was playing. It was well worth the drive! I don't think I even blinked while I was watching it (lol). Now I'm wondering how long til it is available on VHS or DVD, so that my son and mom can watch it. What I really liked most about the movie, was that it was a kind of fairy tale, without having a prince or princess romance. It was more like a Grimm fairy tale and had more excitement and danger.