SpongeBob SquarePants

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Lol I saw the Monday number on IMDB and it gave me such a happy feeling it reminded me of the last movie.XD

I can't believe this movie is already coming out next month!! But I'm still not sure if it looks good enough if I want to go see it or not.:stick_out_tongue:

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I wonder what the overall ratings will be. It looks great from the previews I've seen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't you guys think this movie will be much better than the current episodes?
Dude, if the Simpsons could pull it off, Spongebob can. I mean, those were some pretty meh episodes of The Simpsons before the movie came out and that one was brilliant.

I have faith in this project. The CGI actually looks like it syncs up with the 2-D Spongebob animation. That's usually an impossible transition. Look at any time they made Mickey Mouse CGI. He never looked right. Rocky and Bullwinkle were kinda stiff in their movie, but not in the Mexican animated show from the 60's kinda stiff. But somehow, they managed to give the characters the right timing and bounce in their animation here. I'm actually quite impressed.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Look at any time they made Mickey Mouse CGI. He never looked right.
Supposedly the Epic Mickey games had an engine that made sure Mickey's ears always appeared in profile no matter what angle he faced.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. A video game. Not the actual cartoons, but a video game.

I really didn't like how he or Minnie looked in MMCH. The other characters were okay I guess, but Mickey looked off. Slightly less off in that Christmas thing, but still off.

I'm really impressed that Spongebob and Co transition to 3-D so well. That and Peanuts for their movie. The one thing everyone neglects when it comes to Spongebob is the massive amount of squash and stretch the show has. I'm happy that translates pretty well in CGI. The theatrical Wile E. Coyote cartoon (before that dreadful Yogi movie) and that Daffy Duck Rhapsody one also managed to add that style of bouncy, cartoony animation in CGI as well. I'm always glad to see that. We've come a long way from the much stiffer CGI from the mid-90's.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm really impressed that Spongebob and Co transition to 3-D so well. That and Peanuts for their movie. The one thing everyone neglects when it comes to Spongebob is the massive amount of squash and stretch the show has. I'm happy that translates pretty well in CGI. The theatrical Wile E. Coyote cartoon (before that dreadful Yogi movie) and that Daffy Duck Rhapsody one also managed to add that style of bouncy, cartoony animation in CGI as well. I'm always glad to see that. We've come a long way from the much stiffer CGI from the mid-90's.
Like I said in the Peanuts thread, there's been a lot of 2D-ification of CGI in recent years whether with the squashy, stretchy movements of SpongeBob to the flat, slightly choppy look of The Peanuts Movie to the overall aesthetic of Disney's features. This sort of phenomenon could lead a big return to traditional animation in theaters in the future. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disappointed in the lack of movie specific merchandising. They have Megablox sets and some of the Fisher Price Imaginext sets (no Sandy, of course because it's freaking Mattel), but nothing in terms of larger scale action figures or collectibles featuring the characters in superhero mode. I'm really liking how Squidward looks in this thing and might just have to pick up one of the Imaginext sets.

They have some Megablox blindpackage figures. It features some of the characters in the Mad Max style Post-apocalypse garb.