SS humans with last names

Katzi428

Reaction score
Ever notice that until the 80s or 90s,the human characters on SS didn't have their last names mentioned? The only one that had one the whole time was Mr. Hooper & that was only because he ran Hooper's Store.
One time I was watching SS with one of my younger siblings & one of Gordon's students called Gordon "Mr. Robinson" So I was like "OK...finally a last name has been pinned on Gordon (and Susan & Miles naturally) I figured they gave Gordon the last name of Robinson because Matt Robinson originally played Gordon.
The other last names of the characters on the show are in the SS Unpaved book.I'm just curious why these characters weren't given last names in the first place.

BEAR

Reaction score
Katzi428 said:
Ever notice that until the 80s or 90s,the human characters on SS didn't have their last names mentioned? The only one that had one the whole time was Mr. Hooper & that was only because he ran Hooper's Store.
One time I was watching SS with one of my younger siblings & one of Gordon's students called Gordon "Mr. Robinson" So I was like "OK...finally a last name has been pinned on Gordon (and Susan & Miles naturally) I figured they gave Gordon the last name of Robinson because Matt Robinson originally played Gordon.
The other last names of the characters on the show are in the SS Unpaved book.I'm just curious why these characters weren't given last names in the first place.
Well, you are right about why they gave him the last name of "Robinson". I think that for characters like Bob and Linda (since those are their real first names) they would just use their own last names. I am guessing it is the same case for Alan and Savion and Ruthie (even though the actress goes by the name "Ruth" Buzzi). There was an episode where Mr. Hooper was getting his diploma and they needed to give him a first name, so it became Harold.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Characters with last names (according to Sesame Street Unpaved)

Gordon and Susan Robinson (Robinson in honor of the first Gordon, Matt Robinson)
Maria and Luis Rodreguiz
Gina Jefferson
Bob McGrath
Linda Bove
Harold Hooper

Katzi428

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Characters with last names (according to Sesame Street Unpaved)

Gordon and Susan Robinson (Robinson in honor of the first Gordon, Matt Robinson)
Maria and Luis Rodreguiz
Gina Jefferson
Bob McGrath
Linda Bove
Harold Hooper
Maria's maiden name was (and I hope I spell this right.Someone feel free to correct me. My SSU book is around somewhere ...I just don't know where) Figureoa.
And BEAR & D'Snowth you're right about Bob & Linda

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Katzi428 said:
Maria's maiden name was (and I hope I spell this right.Someone feel free to correct me. My SSU book is around somewhere ...I just don't know where) Figureoa.
And BEAR & D'Snowth you're right about Bob & Linda
You're right Kathy, and I believe that's the correct spelling.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually... As a semi-fluent Spanish speaker, I'm here to say that it's incorrect.
María's full name should be spelled "María Figueroa Rodríguez".
"Figureoa" is something entirely incorrect within the Spanish language. It'd have to be "Figueroa" since that's an actual Spanish name.
Hope this helps.

Katzi428

Reaction score
The Count said:
Actually... As a semi-fluent Spanish speaker, I'm here to say that it's incorrect.
María's full name should be spelled "María Figueroa Rodríguez".
"Figureoa" is something entirely incorrect within the Spanish language. It'd have to be "Figueroa" since that's an actual Spanish name.
Hope this helps.
Yes...it helps a lot Ed..thanks!:smile: I knew it was something like that.

BEAR

Reaction score
We can also assume that Olivia's last name was also Robinson since she was Gordon's sister and she was unmarried.

Gina Jefferson is correct because that is what it says on her office.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I think the first mention of Gina's last name was in an episode from the 1991-1992 season when she was sick and Herry Monster wanted to send her a get well card and Savion was helping him mail the letter by writing down the information. As he was writing it down he said the information outloud.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Can anyone give me Alan's last name as I have forgotten it.