SST Fan Fic: The Search for Bert

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
It's alright. I've never seen Follow That Bird, so I won't know the difference. This is a great story, by the way, and I hope it will inspire you to create more stories in the future. You're off to a wonderful start!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Here's Chapter Four. It's a little shorter, but I hope to update again either later today or tomorrow.

Chapter Four:

After hours of hard work unloading and setting up the circus, Bert and the other circus members were allowed to go to sleep. However, it wasn’t until about 6:00 in the morning and Amazing Al wanted them all up and at rehearsal by 9:00 am. Bert decided to ask Amazing Al when he’d be getting his pigeons.

“Well, I actually have something else in mind for you,” said Amazing Al when Bert asked.

“Oh, really? What’s that?” asked Bert.

“Well, I’d like you to join our acrobatic squad,” said Amazing Al and pointed to a group of large, mean looking guys. (Author’s note: picture several fat, large purple Anything Muppets)

“I thought you wanted me to train pigeons and show what they can do,” said a concerned Bert.

“Yeah, well that’s cute, but these guys needed someone about your size to be the top of the pyramid. You’ll love it. You’ll still be famous beyond your wildest dreams,” said Amazing Al.

“Ok, I guess I can try it,” said Bert.

“Good! Go get started on practicing, I’ll come see you in a bit,” said Amazing Al while pushing Bert toward the Acrobatic Squad. It was at this moment that Bert realized he didn’t know where he was and began to wish he had never left Sesame Street.

Back on Sesame Street, Ernie woke up early after a fitful night sleep. Gordon and Susan were already awake. Susan was feeding Miles in the kitchen and Gordon was talking on the phone working on tracking down Bert.

“Good morning Ernie. Would you like some breakfast?” asked Susan.

“I’m not that hungry,” said Ernie.

“How about a small bowl of cereal?” suggested Susan.

“Ok. Has Gordon found anything yet?” asked Ernie.

“Not yet, but don’t worry, he will,” said Susan as she went to the cupboard to take out a bowl.

Ernie knew he should be patient and try to stay out of Gordon’s way, so he ate his cereal and then went with Susan into the other room and sat down on the floor with baby Miles. They were playing with building blocks when Gordon came to join them.

“Ernie, I have some news and it’s not great,” said Gordon.

“Is Bert ok?” asked Ernie frantically.

“I haven’t found Bert yet. But, I found out about this Amazing Al’s Circus. It turns out that they’ve been in trouble several times in the past year for overworking employees and maltreatment of animals. They have a tendency to set up the circus in small towns where the police will be less likely to find them. The name has also changed several times as well. If Bert is with them, he could be in danger,” explained Gordon.

“Oh no!” shrieked Ernie as tears welled up in his eyes.

“Hold on,” said Gordon, “The good news is that the police are aware of the situation. I told them all about Bert and how he ran away and they’re going to work really hard to track them down. So far they’ve found out that the circus was heading south of New York and is most likely camped out in northern Pennsylvania right now.”

“So they’re going to rescue Bert?” asked Ernie.

“Well, they’re certainly going to try, but they can’t do it alone,” said Gordon.

“Does that mean what I think it means?” asked Ernie.

“It means that we’re going to gather up all of our friends here at Sesame Street and form a search party and then we’re going to look for him,” said Gordon.

“It will be just like when we went looking for Big Bird when he was trying to get back to Sesame Street!” said Ernie.

“That’s right, and I’m sure everyone will want to help, because they all really care about Bert,” said Susan.

“I’ll make some calls and we’ll meet at Hooper’s Store in an hour to set up our game plan. Don’t worry Ernie, we’re going to find Bert,” said Gordon.

“I’ll go and get a few things for the trip!” said Ernie. He was excited to go on an adventure, but he wished it was for another reason. He headed down to his apartment to grab a few things, especially Rubber Ducky. If he couldn’t go on a trip with Bert, Rubber Ducky was the next best thing. As he was leaving, he paused by the picture of him and Bert that hung between their chairs.

“Hang on buddy, I’m coming to save the day!” exclaimed Ernie then rushed off to Hooper’s Store.

(Author's note - sorry for the inconsistacy in where the circus headed. I originally had them head west and realized they'd end up in Canada, and I wanted to keep the story in the US, so they've now headed south into PA)

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<twiddles thumbs>

I don't have any homework to distract myself from. Or any homework to distract me from this. Or something. Anyway, my point is I'm vaguely bored at the moment and was hoping for some more story.

But patience is a virtue...
(that I don't seem to have much of when it comes to fanfic.)
..... well rewarded.

By the way, I LOVE it! Poor Bert... Poor Ernie... and yay for that one big happy family that lives on Sesame Street.

I will be patient. I will. <rereads> "Friday at the latest". Sounds good. I can wait.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words everyone! This is a work in progress, but I appreciate you bearing with me! Keep letting me know how you like it! Probably won't update again until Monday!

Chapter Five:

Bert was exhausted. He’d only been practicing with the Acrobatic Squad for about two hours, but after not sleeping real long, he was really tired. He tried making friends with the big guys, but they were not very friendly. Finally, it was lunchtime. Bert ran over to the lunch line to get his food. He was the first one there.

“Hold on there, newbie,” growled one of the Acrobats.

“What’s the problem?” asked Bert.

“New people go to the BACK of the line,” explained the Acrobat.

“Oh…” said Bert sadly. Things were really not going the way he wanted them to. He was finally beginning to see that he had really made a mistake. Finally he got to the lunch table. All of the food was gone, only one small half of a sandwich was left. He grabbed it and ate it quickly.

“I’ve GOT to get out of here,” he thought. But, he didn’t know where he was. He walked around the circus area a little bit. They had set up in a large grassy field. Suddenly he spotted a small gas station across the street with a pay phone in the parking lot.

“That’s it! I can call Sesame Street!” he thought excitedly and quickly sneaked across the street.

Back at Sesame Street a crowd had gathered at Hooper’s Store. Monsters, people, animals and kids were all waiting to find out what had happened to Bert and what was going to happen next. Kermit the Frog was outside with a news crew.

“This is Kermit T. Frog with Sesame Street News. We are outside Hooper’s Store waiting to hear about a search and rescue effort to find one of our very own residents, Bert, who ran away to the circus last night. Let’s listen in to what Gordon has to say,” said Kermit.

“Ok, so what we know is that the circus group headed south into Pennsylvania and probably didn’t get real far and is somewhere along the border. We’re heading out in three search crews. The Count, Grover, and Olivia will go in the Count’s Countmobile. Maria, Big Bird and Oscar are going in Oscar’s Sloppy Jalopy,” started Gordon.

“I don’t know why I have to go on another wild goose chase, we’ve already got a turkey,” interrupted Oscar.

“Because, this is partly YOUR fault Oscar. If you hadn’t pushed Ernie into arguing with Bert, maybe he’d still be here!” exclaimed Maria.

“Oh all right, all right. But there will be no singing Bird!” exclaimed Oscar. Big Bird just smiled at him.

“Can I get back on task here?” asked Gordon.

“Sorry,” muttered Oscar.

“Ok, Ernie, Cookie Monster and I will go in our new Volkswagon and Cookie has promised not to eat it this time. Bob and David will man the command center here at Hooper’s Store. Any questions?” said Gordon.

“Yes, what is the capital of New Mexico?” asked Oscar.

“OSCAR!!!” exclaimed everyone in the store.

“Well folks, there you have it. Three search parties heading out to find Bert. We will continue to follow this developing story,” said Kermit.

“That’s three, three wonderful search parties, Ah, Ah, Ah!” exclaimed the Count. Everyone started heading towards their cars.

Bert made it across the street and tried calling Ernie at the apartment.

“Come on Ernie. Answer the phone!” said Bert. When Ernie didn’t answer, Bert tried really hard to remember the number to Hooper’s Store.

“What is it? I just can’t remember. Wait, yes I do!” thought Bert and quickly dialed.

David was standing near the door getting ready to wave goodbye when he heard the phone ring. “I’d better grab that” he thought.

“Hooper’s Store, can I help you?” said David.

“David! David help me! It’s Bert, I’m at a gas station called Gas and Eats and I need to get home!” shouted Bert.

“Bert! Hang on!” exclaimed David. He ran outside to the crowd to Gordon’s car.

“Bert is on the phone! He needs help!” yelled David.

“Oh ok, hang on everyone, don’t leave!” exclaimed Gordon. He ran into the store with Ernie at his heels.

“Bert! Where are you?” asked Gordon.

“I don’t know! I’m at a gas station across the street from this awful circus!” exclaimed Bert.

“Can you see a highway number?” asked Gordon.

“Hang on,” said Bert and looked out at the street. He saw a sign that said 61. “Highway 61!” he said.

“Ok, good! Listen Bert, stay where you are, we’re coming to get you!” said Gordon.

“Ok, I will, I’ll stay right here!” said Bert.

“No you won’t! You’re coming back to work!” said Amazing Al who suddenly crept up behind him. “Say goodbye to your friend!” he growled.

“Gordon! Help!” said Bert and hung up the phone.

“Gordon, what happened?” asked Ernie.

“Amazing Al came back and took the phone away. But don’t worry Ernie, we have a path to follow now. I’m going to update the police on what we know and then we’re going to get him!” said Gordon.

Ernie gave Rubber Ducky a squeeze. “I hope he’ll be ok!” he said.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
BERT!!!!!!!!
Oh, old buddy bert needs help! ohhhhhhhhhh............................
(I will not cry. I will not cry. I already cried at the school musical tonight, I will not cry!)
<runs off, presumably to not cry.>

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Good story. I didn't think Al was such a bad guy until this chapter. I can't wait to see what happens next!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
....so, um..... <cough> when do we get more?
I'm not being impatient. I'm not being impatient. I'm not being impatient. I'm not being impatient. I'm not being impatient. I'm not being impatient. I'm not being impatient. (I figure if I say it enough times it will be true.) I'm not being impatient. I'm not being impatient. I'm not being impatient. I'm not being impatient...