1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

SST General Store?

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Oscarfan, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of this place? I have a bag from it. Here's some photos:

Side 1

Side 2

Was store in Sesame Place or was it an actual store in various places?
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I had a bag like that when I was little..I always thought it was used when you bought SS things at a normal store somewhere..like an ad for one of their anniversaries in the 80's :)
  3. Mokeystar

Mokeystar Member

I went to the Sesame Street General Store many times when it was still around. Unfortunately, I think all the stores closed in the late 1990's. They were kind of like Disney Stores you see in the mall, except they were Sesame themed, of course. You could buy items for both kids and adults. During my trips there, I purchased several shirts, a "monster" watch, Grover socks and coffee mug, and a few other items. I was like a kid in a candy store. We would make special trips down to Portland just to go there.

I remember they had a big animatronic Oscar who would pop out of his garbage can out in front of the store, which I thought was cute.

The two I went to were in at Lloyd Center in Portland, Oregon, and in Torrance, Ca., but unfortunately, like I mentioned, the stores are long gone.
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I never went there then..but then maybe I did and was still a baby or something :)
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I believe you can see that store in the old "Henson's Place" documentary. I remember seeing it years ago and thinking, "I wish I could go there!"
  6. heralde

Oops, never mind, I'm thinking of the Muppet Stuff store. As opposed to the Sesame Street General Store.
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Those were open for a very short while. They were like tiny versions of the Disney store. I remember buying a high-end Fossil-type Ernie and Bert color changing mood watch with a mood ring included for an ex of mine. They sometimes would carry a Kermit plush or two, but it seemed they were constantly asked questions about the Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock characters.

The Muppet Stuff Store was the most amazing experience in the world. It was a tiny little corner of heaven for this Muppet fan. :halo:
  8. heralde

I know! Even just seeing it on Henson's Place used to get me excited, lol.
  9. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I wonder why?

I would think they were beneficial to the Sesame Workshop.
  10. Mokeystar

Mokeystar Member

That's a good question. Every time I was there, they seemed to be busy. Due to them selling items for both kids AND adults, they pretty much covered everyone. There was something for the Sesame fan in all of us! :) You'd think SW would have been all over trying to keep it open. Who knows...... :p
  11. heralde

This is purely speculation, but maybe the brand was just too narrow and didn't bring in enough revenue. Even the Disney stores have been in danger of closing from time to time.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

What do you mean in danger? I keep seeing them close left and right. And this is during the high sales of HSM and Pirates stuff. Of course, the Ratatoullie stuff didn't go over....

Anyway, years and years ago, I went to this Mall I've never been to in my life, and I clearly was never able to go again. I saw the SS store, but I didn't go in because I thought it was like Gymboree or Children's place and only carried SS kid's clothes. I never went in, and I've always regretted it.
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Flagship stores are tough in general. The focus of business of that sort has changed for a while but few brands have caught up. The smart strategy is in licensing your brand to established key outlets both in stores and online. I miss the old WB stores. The Disney Store here just closed down a few months ago. Tower Records has been dust for a while and Virgin Megastore is in on life support. The fact that not even Disney could make it work demonstrates the difficulty Sesame Street had. They were smart to quit when they did rather than linger. Many stores tend to give them a section anyway. Still I miss Muppet Stuff and the Sesame Store. :(
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It is a disappointment... though, to be fair, Disney was pretty much the only one of those stores to focus exclusively on exclusive merchandise (at least lately). Though I tend to think they focus way too much on what's popular. They did recently, at least of last year, had a Disney Studio line that actually had Mickey, Goofy, Donald, and various others on T-shirts and those fake printed canvas things.

That said, I bet if the SS store was still about, it would focus mainly on items you could get anywhere else anyway (unless they did some borrowing from Sesame Place's gift shop) and have few, if any, exclusives.

So, it's a sad thing, really, but you can find SS stuff virtually everywhere, even adult clothing.
  15. zns

zns Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that the Muppet Wiki dosn't have any info about this place. We should try to find photos of that place as well as the original Muppet Stuff boutique. ;)
  16. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

17. zns

zns Well-Known Member

Oh..... thank you. :D