Star Trek

Beauregard

Reaction score
Star Trek strange new worlds.

Hey, I thought I'd start a thread.

Who's your favorite crew?

I'd say Enterprise (though I';ve only read the books of this series) and TNG both tie as favorites. You?

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
The original would have to be my favorite, but I love TNG as well. I never really got into DS9 or Voyager, and I've never seen Enterprise. Don't get the right channel. I''ve always been a big Star Trek fan but I really haven't watched it much in a long time. My brother used to be one of those stereotypical ultra-Trekkies, and now he thinks Star Trek and anyone who likes it is super-lame, so our family Star Trekness has rather diminished in the past few years... :frown: I have trouble deciding which movie is my favorite, II or IV. II is incredibly moving, and IV is hilarious. I guess it depends on my mood. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
which crew is my favorite?....probably deep space nine.

to quote odo and quark:

quark: really odo, sometimes i think there's no pleasing you. i help you track down a notorious smuggling ring, yet you still insist on treating me like your enemy.

odo: you are my enemy

another one- after sisko and odo find a surveillance device-
odo: i plan on investigating the klingons, the bajorans, quark, the visiting terrelians..
sisko:you think quark had something to do with this?
odo: i always investigate quark.

none of the other trek shows had funny stuff like that. the relationship between quark and odo is priceless.

now, as for the best trek show, it's deep space nine all the way! if you haven't seen the show, it's great! the writers even make starfleet go into war with the dominion where millions of starfleet officers lose their lives. lot's of character exploring, tension, and a lot of great primary and secondary characters from obrien, sisko, quark to martok, garak, dukat, etc.

i'd suggest downloading an episode if people are curious about this show.

ryan

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I think part of the reason the first crew is my favorite is because it's the simplest. Even in TNG, things start to get really complicated, but in the first series everything was centered around these seven major characters and their interactions with the more minor chraracters on the crew and whom they encountered in their travels. It was just very straightforward, and it really allowed the characters and their relationships to shine. And Spock is the greatest... :halo:
Erin

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
DS9 was a great series, mostly because it wasn't like the other Trek series, which is why I think a lot of fans hated it. It was less about "outer space" and more about "inner space" - the characters and their relationships. I especially like the long, multi-year plot arcs about Bajoran politics and the Dominion War storyline (even though it was blatantly ripped off from Babylon 5). And since Voyager was off in the Delta Quadrant, it was nice how they tied the continuity of the TNG movies to the series.

I'm also a fan of Entreprise and Voyager had it's moments, though it wasn't my favorite I enjoyed watching the Doctor and Seven of Nine.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Oooh, I almost forgot - there was a great quote awhile ago from Joss Whedon (the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) he was being asked about doing a second Buffy spin-off and he joked:

"Yeah, I'm going to call it 'Buffy: Deep Space Nine'...it's gonna be really character-driven, dark and misunderstood."

Guess he's a fan of the show too. LOL

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i have deep space nine seasons 2 and 6 on dvd. i got the 6 season a month aho and watched that and yesterday i got the 2nd season and have watched 6 episodes of the show so far. it's a huge contrast from season 2 to 6, especially with sisko. he's seems more friendly with his officers and even smiles where as in season 6, he's gets mad real easily and never shows a smile or a bit of happiness to him. but i never really liked sisko that much. he was probably the least favorite captain because of his attitude.

ryan

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
The original series as the best??????? While it's a fine show, the effects, sets and non-existant acting by William Shatner is practically laughable. To me, Shatner didn't really start to become a good actor until The Wrath of Khan.

As for my favorite series, DS9, with TNG close behind. DS9 has the best acting, best storylines and best sets.

Although, I must say: I am just loving the whole Xindi escapade on Enterprise.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
since there is a "what starfleet captain are you" thread going on, i wanted to add some more stuff to this thread.

the science officer- do you need this person as part of your senior staff? yes/no?....

i said no because i never really liked the science officer in the first place. besides, what can a science officer say that an operations officer or another crewmember can't say? "there's a comet dead ahead captain"...well duh science officer, that's why it's on the view screen!.... while the science officer is a part of the crew, i just don't think i need another blue uniformed person sitting in a meeting. leave that for the doctor and counselor.

ryan

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
The ops officer is responsible coordinating the various departments on the ship. The science officers responsibility is to provide scientific info to the captain.

I need a life... :smile: