star trek

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
ok...a few months ago, one of the threads started trailing off, as usual, and got on the topic of star trek. i decided it is now time to discuss it. so here we go.....

we're going to be discussing star trek voyager. i decided to just pick it for some odd reason and we'll be discussing about the characters in star trek voyager so try not to get to off topic by going off to another star trek series!

synopsis: the starship voyager goes on its first assignment which is to capture a maquis ship in the bad lands but in doing so. it gets stranded in the delta quadrant and is forced to combine with the maquis in order to survive and get home. the crew of the voyager will contiue their mission of exploring strange new worlds and to explore space while they try to get home!

the 3 major characters that were featured the most; more than what i wanted to see:
captain kathryn janeway- ok, we get to the captain, who is the first woman in the history of a star trek series, not star trek in general cause there has been women who have been captains in the history of star trek, to be captain. i thought this character was a great leader to her crew and would sacrafice herself in order to save her crew which she did several times in various episodes. she was like a mother to the crew, especially to people like 7 of 9, and b'elanna torres. i really enjoyed her during the first 3 or 4 seasons until she got on my nerves during the last 3 seasons. also, the writers gave her more story lines during the last 3 or 4 years of the show because they found her easy to write for. to me, i felt that janeway had more of a natural, scientific feel to her during the first several seasons than she did in the last 3 seasons. she just got kind of bland to me in the later years because of all the stories she was getting.

the doctor: for the first several years, especially the first season, the doctor was the least developed character because they really couldn't do a lot with him cause he was in sickbay and couldn't go anywhere around the ship. that kind of made him a boring character right there. also, he was annoying as heck cause he was a jerk to the crew ( a very good reason why robert picardo, who played the doctor, didn't want to play him in the first place). then by half way through the 3rd season, the doctor got a mobile emmiter from the 29th century that helped him leave the medical bay and roam around the ship and join away team missions. then all of a sudden, the doctor starts getting episodes. an epsiode i liked that had the doctor was the 4th seasons message in a bottle where the doctor transfers to the alpha quadrant and explains to starfleet that the crew of the voyager is alive and well. however, as the 5th season goes on til the 7th season, we get to see a lot of the doctor, in episodes written for him or written to include him as a major character for the episode like 5th seasons episode timeless. however, as fun as the doctor is he to begins to drag because the writers start writing a lot of episodes for him. i liked when the doctor wanted to do more than just be the doctor everyone comes to see. i liked that the writers were trying to make him more of an officer that can take command in a situation like in the 6th seasons tinker tenor doctor spy and in the 7th seasons workforce parts 1 and 2. but i would i have thought since the command stuff was now in his programing that janeway would actually give him a rank, say like commander, but they never did. and over the years the doctor did start to act nicer to the crew, although i doubt he thought highly of paris since he always poked fun of him!

7 of 9- i really hated this character. ok so she wounded up replacing kes at the begining of season 4 and she looks quite pretty, thanks to jeri ryan's looks, but boy did this character get old. ok so the 4th season was kind of like the season for 7 of 9 cause people need to see her grow and what she is like, but by the 5th season, a lot of episodes started to go to this character. i think in the last several seasons of voyager people started to get tired of her being in the spot light and wanted other characters to get the attention they deserved. i liked the conflict between her and torres and janeway causing her to think differently than the rest of the crew when they ran into problems. seeing torres arguing with 7 was kind of like seeing to kids having differences and fighting. i never got the impression the torres liked her at the end of the series either. i also thought the writers should have had her and the doctoer get into a romance instead of her and chakotay because her romance with chokaty was a little to sudden in the last episode. i liked her relationship with the borg children that came on board during the 6th season too. she was tackling a subject of being a teacher/parent to this chirldren and she knew nothing about it and i thought it was cool to explore with the 7. but again, she was heavily shown throught the last few seasons of the series and made some of the other actors upset when the writers wrote more stories for her than say chakotay or harry kim....

ok, it's getting really late so i'll finish the rest of the characters tomorrow; until then, discuss this and add your own thoughts about these 3 characters.

ryan

Gonzo

Reaction score
If a thread dies in the woods and no one is around to read it, does it make a noise?

I liked Voyager for a while, but it's honestly the Trek series that burned me out on Trek. I liked Captain Janeway, B'elanna, and Seven of Nine (in moderation), but thought the other characters were incredibly bland. For the premise of the show, which was supposed to be these two disparate groups banding together for their survival in the wilds of the Delta Quadrant, it turned out to be the same happy -friendly -boring show that Next Generation was.

Not that TNG was bad, just that Voyager was supposed to be so different. I watched it through year 5, and then occasionally after that...but most of the characters didn't do anything for me. And after they brought the Borg Babies on board, I tuned out.

Quinnie Quinn Quinn

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
if you want a different star trek show that i thought was the best..watch deep space nine...better characters...ok story lines..but it did a better job with pleasing my tastes than voyager who got boring....

the other reason why the other characters were bland was because none of the writers wrote about them and made them interesting.......that's why you had people like robert beltran who played chakotay and garret wang who played harry kim get angry at the writers and complained to them that their characters needed to get more stuff to do...

why isn't anyone responding to this thread?.....come on people, put something in......

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
rick berman, the guy in charge of the world of star trek said after the recent box office blunder of star trek nemesis, he said there may not be another star trek movie....

ryan

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i loved voyager, my favorite....

it seemed more in depth to me

i liked the doctor i enjoyed the 'jerk' part of him! i mean it was neat when he got to be a person (and even create a family)

7 did get on my nerves at times, but wasn't it awesome when we got to see her drunk! *WE are one* that cracked me up!

now enterpise just has to get some good writing...the characters are great they just need to develop them....

Sarah

Gonzo

Reaction score
Deep Space Nine may have been my favorite Star Trek series in terms of storytelling--both sci-fi stories and personal stories. The secondary characters were better developed there than in any of the other series, and that made it much more well-rounded show. We know a lot more about the tenth-most significant character on DS9 than we did about, say Scotty, Uhura, Dr. Crusher, Geordi, Chakotay....

Deep Space Nine was too dark for a lot of people--I know others didn't like the war arcs in the later years, but I thought it was the best thought-out series, and the one that seemed most epic.

Also, the Daxes and Kira were the hottest Trek chickies.

That's it.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

Gonzo

Reaction score
Hey at least I said Dax and Dax and Kira--they've got some substance! Not like Seven or T'Pol....although they are both yummalicious in their own cold stoic ways.

:rolleyes:

Women.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
although they are both yummalicious in their own cold stoic ways.

yummalicious...is that in the dictionary???

yes DS9 did have lots of substance, but it bored me! if it ain't comedy it has to have comedy in it to make me happy!

Sarah

Super Scooter

Reaction score
DS9 was most defenitely the best Star Trek series of all time. It's sad to hear there may not be another Star Trek movie, because you do SO MUCH with a movie about DS9! You have to bring back Sisko, and if done properly, it won't be stupid. Sisko's already said he's coming back.

Hated Voyager. Watch it occasionally, but, they didn't do enough with tehir good characters. Voyager: The Seven and Janeway show. The Next Generation: The Data and Picard show. The Original Series: Well, we all know who's show that was!:big_grin:

Enterprise and DS9 are the only two Star Trek series that has focused on more than just two characters primarily. Sure, each character has had their show on the others, but not as often as Enterprise and DS9.

That's why DS9 would make such a great movie. It wouldn't just be "Sisko goes to the enemy ship to destroy the bad guy, and Kira rescues him", as every TNG movie has turned out between Picard and Data. Each character would have an important role in the movie, and they wouldn't just be Worf who's just there for the sake of being there. "Oh, I had shore leave, so I thought I'd spend it doing nothing with you guys!" OY!