Starting a Puppet Team

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
I'm excited to announce that I'm starting a puppet team this fall among some of the folks in my church. We are "Armed and Dangerous."

Does anyone else here belong to such a team, or lead one?

If anyone has any wisdom and advice, who have been down this road before, I'm happy to take it. This isn't a 9-11 call, but I'm glad to know you're all out here.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
I'm sorry Cap'n, I don't have any words o' wisdom for ya, but I'm excited and happy for ya! Congratulations! :smile:

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
Well, I attend a puppet club every month, and hopefully I'll somehow be able to get into a show sometime!

Good luck in your puppet show, and remember: have fun!
And ditto, like Capt'Crouton said: Congrats!
::makes a cheesy grin::

DirthNader

Reaction score
I'm new here, Cap. I also live in Michigan, and while I have no knowledge, no puppets, and my religious affiliations are...questionable, I am happy for you and would like to know more about your "team".

I wasn't aware that there were clubs of any kind in the area.

Please feel free to pm me with more.

Thanks and good luck :smile:

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Okay, I'm gonna feel dumb for this... But what does pm mean?

I know p.m. means evening.

I can also think of post mark and post-mortem.

I even know what AIM means (AOL Instant Messanger... see?) Wait... private message? Is that it? I can do that I think.

Random alternatives
Print Master? Postman? Pre Made? Peach Marmalade? Pistol Pete Maravich? Pregnant mouse?

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Okay here's what the deal is.

I've got nine people signed up. I'm in the midst of planning a 15 week semester.

I'm not a complete novice, but Armed and Dangerous evolved into a drama group and I'm returning to my roots. I've been to several Puppet Festivals sponsored by One Way Street and I'm planning to attend the one in Grand Rapids, Michigan in November. They offer song and skit competitions, training workshops, etc. not to mention teams similar and more experienced than mine.

Ultimately I want to produce some videos, though I've never done anything like it before. This seems like the natural first step to making my dream a reality, to create a team of capable puppeteers. I guess I'll also need alot of money, but I haven't solved that yet.

My oldest puppeteer is 33, and my youngest is in the 5th grade. While I love kids, I chose 5th grade as the lower limit because of motor development, hand sizes, and so I don't, out of niceness, become somebody's babysitting service.

We'll meet two hours every Thursday from 6:30 to 8:30 from now til like Christmas time, then hopefully pick it up again after the holidays in January.

We'll begin with the puppet ministry in our local childrens ministry and occassionally in Big Church (as I call the adult service). Then do community stuff when we're good enough, (nursing homes, company picnics) I've already got someone who wants us to do a birthday party. I don't know if we'll be ready but hey, it's something to shoot for.

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Okay here's what the deal is.

I've got nine people signed up. I'm in the midst of planning a 15 week semester.

I'm not a complete novice, but the first generation of Armed and Dangerous evolved into a drama group and I'm returning to my roots. We now have a new drama group as well. I've been to several Puppet Festivals sponsored by One Way Street and I'm planning to attend the one in Grand Rapids, Michigan in November. They offer song and skit competitions, training workshops, etc. not to mention teams similar and more experienced than mine. This is not really a commercial for One Way Street but it occurred to me that f you're a local MCer it'd be a great excuse for me to meet you!

Ultimately I want to produce some videos, though I've never done anything like it before. This seems like the natural first step to making my dream a reality, by creating a team of capable puppeteers. I guess I'll also need alot of money eventually, but I haven't solved that yet.

My oldest puppeteer is 33, and my youngest is in the 5th grade. While I love kids, I chose 5th grade as the lower limit because of motor development, hand sizes, and so I don't, out of over- developed niceness, become somebody's babysitting service.

We'll meet two hours every Thursday from 6:30 to 8:30 from now til like Christmas time, then hopefully pick it up again after the holidays in January.

We'll begin with the puppet ministry in our local childrens ministry and occassionally in Big Church (as I call the adult service). Then do community stuff when we're good enough, (nursing homes, company picnics) I've already got someone who wants us to do a birthday party. I don't know if we'll be ready but hey, it's something to shoot for.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hey CaptCrouton,

You might want to check out Chrtistpup which is an online group devoted to Christian puppet ministry. Also, Axtell Expressions probably has links to more resources on their website.

I hope this helps!

DirthNader

Reaction score
Hey there Cap. *lol* Yeah, pm means Personal Message. I didn't know that they can't be sent in this forum. Actually, this place seems pretty restrictive. I replied to a board yesterday and wanted to recant some of what I said so I wrote another reply. I went to send it but was told that each person may send a reply only every 180 seconds?!?

Anyway. Grand Rapids is only a short jaunt from here. I live in Kalamazoo.....yes there really is a Kalamazoo.

However, I guess that it would be too hard for me to attend your classes. My wife and I are expecting our first baby next month and I, being completely filled with aprehension about my ability as a father (I'm more like a second child), will more than likely have my hands full. No room for puppets *hahahaha*

Let me know if you happen to be showing anything here, though. It would be nice to see the results.