1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Statler and Waldorf on ESPN Classic

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by vernali, Oct 4, 2005.

1. vernali

vernali Member

:boo: :sleep: TWO GRUMPY MUPPETS FROM THE BALCONY PUT THEIR SPIN ON ESPN CLASSIC’S MOVIE NIGHT
    Statler & Waldorf to Introduce Reel Classics Extra On ESPN Classic
    Burbank, Calif., August 26, 2005 – Statler & Waldorf, the Muppets’ famous duo of curmudgeons in the balcony, will introduce ESPN Classic’s weekly sports-themed movie series, Reel Classics Extra, beginning Sunday, August 28 at 8 p.m. EST.
    From movie theme to starring casts, nothing is safe from the grumpy pair’s signature no-holds-barred heckling, including a few hilarious jabs at each other along the way.
    Reel Classics Extra is ESPN Classic’s weekly Sunday movie series that gives viewers a chance to watch classic sports-themed movies, while also learning interesting, entertaining and humorous facts about the movies, the stars and more through on-screen pop-ups with tidbits and little-known details.
    “This is a perfect opportunity for Statler & Waldorf to once again show off their talents,” said David Spingarn, Director of Creative Business Development for The Muppets Holding Company LLC. “We are thrilled to extend the Muppets brand and characters on a recurring basis to a great ESPN platform.”
    Added Jodi Markley, senior vice president of international production, ESPN Classic and ESPNEWS, “Reel Classics Extra is a chance each Sunday for sports fans to relax, unwind and wrap up their weekend with a great sports movie. Statler & Waldorf are a perfect fit to introduce these movies because, like the movies, they are classics in their own right. They are going to bring our fans some good laughs and kick off these movies in a great way.”
    In addition, the twosome are up to their usual antics in “Statler & Waldorf – From the Balcony,” an exclusive bi-weekly online program on Movies.com that offers visitors access to vignettes from the cranky pair. In each episode, the grumpy duo entertains movie fans with witty commentary and provides their hilarious take on upcoming film and DVD releases. Each episode also features a special guest star, including the Swedish Chef, Rowlf the Dog, and Pepe the King Prawn.

2. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Well-Known Member

So this is a weekly thing? Or did we miss it?

3. vernali

vernali Member

Yes, this is an ongoing thing on ESPN Classic!!! :)

4. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Well-Known Member

Cool, nice find, now I just wonder why we haven't heard of this sooner!:sing:

5. vernali

vernali Member

I saw it last week, and they were funny! :)

6. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry Well-Known Member

I have a reason to watch ESPN?

7. vernali

vernali Member

It's only a :15 intro, but from what I understand, it will be longer in the future.

8. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Well-Known Member

its on when the Simpsons are on not good

9. vernali

vernali Member

Last week, it was re-aired afterwards. Looking ahead, I noticed that some of the re-airs are on the the next day too.

10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Dang, I wish I had cable...

11. Stulz

Stulz Well-Known Member

When is this ON!!??

I tried looking it up on my DVR and got nothing. What does ESPN call this show??

12. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Well-Known Member

Stulz, it's called Reel Classics. Basically, it's a classic sports movie.

Trust me, I know from experience.

BJ

13. mikebennidict

mikebennidict Well-Known Member

think it used to have more classic sports programming including classic ABC's Wide World of Sports. but you know how these things go.

14. unclematt

unclematt Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. Anyway they can get exposure is good

15. Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel Well-Known Member

These clips are Yerrid and Massey, not Goelz and Whitmire. MHC tried to slip it under the radar.

secret squirrel

16. unclematt

Thank you Secret

17. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius Well-Known Member

Stars! So many ESPN channels, I hope I find it. Do you think they'll show the clips online?

18. unclematt

They ar on Stars as well?

19. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius Well-Known Member

Oh no! Stars is just my word for exasperation, surprise, confusion, etc, instead of cussing or sounding like a comic book character. Or maybe I do if I say it too often.

20. vernali

vernali Member

These spots are now online!! But only a few! They still air before the movie!! Good exposure! :)