Stephanie D'Abruzzo responds about Caroll Spinney

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
I'm really amazed that Spinney's still doing it. I mean he's had some help since perhaps the mid-2000's and you can tell in some of the later segments that Big Bird does sound a bit more slurred and tired. But he still enjoys his work and I'm glad he's going to receive special honors.

HiHo3892

Reaction score
Is it sad for me to say I did have the chance to meet him at RI cc but actually chose not to?

I mean, don't get me wrong. While it's always nice to meet your heroes, I just feel like his time is coming to the end of the road and I hate to see him suffer from just trying to speak.
That's kind of the reason why I chose to meet him - I've always wanted to, but always had the lingering concern in the back of my mind I would never get the opportunity. But I did, and I didn't want to pass it up. I could be a selfish butthole and say I wish he hadn't gotten to a point like this so I could converse with him a bit more, but I'm just grateful I got to see him in person, face-to-face, and thank him for playing an intregal part in inspiring me to become a puppeteer, which he thanked me for telling him.
Did either of you get a chance to see Caroll's public speaking event on November 7th?

OscarandTelly

Reaction score
I actually spoke to Tyler Bunch on Facebook and he said Carroll did loop a few lines for season 48 but not many, and they only have a week left of taping for season 49 and he hasn't seen Carroll at all this season. So I'm guessing we'll still hear his voice a few more times but not at all in season 49. However I'm sure he'll be involved in season 50. So in season 48 we'll probably hear Eric and Matt perform :wisdom: and :grouchy: about 90% of the time.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I actually spoke to Tyler Bunch on Facebook and he said Carroll did loop a few lines for season 48 but not many, and they only have a week left of taping for season 49 and he hasn't seen Carroll at all this season. So I'm guessing we'll still hear his voice a few more times but not at all in season 49. However I'm sure he'll be involved in season 50. So in season 48 we'll probably hear Eric and Matt perform :wisdom: and :grouchy: about 90% of the time.
So Season 49 is almost done already?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Just great. :mad:

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
Can't watch sesame but in the last 10-15 years it has gotten harder for the man to do things.But hearing Vogel do Big birds voice doesn't seem right even hearing his Kermit first time was better on the ears than his big bird
Yeah, I mean, end of the day, Carroll's health is more important than his career. End of the day, nothing lasts forever and his performances as Oscar and Big Bird were great for the 30+ years he was on the show while they lasted.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I've actually adapted Matt's Big Bird.

Matt's Kermit I'm pretty much learning to just accept now as well. End of the day any Kermit voice is a Kermit voice if it has the nasally effect to it.

HiHo3892

Reaction score
Exact same thoughts. We of course saw him on set in August in the above picture. I figured he was just visiting and supporting his fellow muppeteers. But there's no way he isn't involved in season 50. I don't think he's completely retired.

Last edited: