1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Stephanie D'Abruzzo responds about Caroll Spinney

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by HiHo3892, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I totally forgot about that. It's like what someone on the ToughPigs forum said, Peter Linz has basically become the Muppets' military brat.

I mean, he just took over Ernie and Herry, and if Matt Vogel were no longer able, probably Big Bird. Plus, now he's like half the characters ever since Steve's departure (plus Walter). And every time someone speculates about who's going to play certain characters like Rizzo, or even obscure ones like Sal Minella, there's always someone who brings up Peter's name.

I think it's going to become an inside joke within the Muppet fandom. Uh oh, Ryan Dillon's hands fell off, I wonder who's going to be Elmo now? - probably Peter Linz. Bill Barretta's retiring, looks like Peter Linz is going to have to step in as all of his characters.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Well to fully be honest Peter Linz hasn’t had a main character before 2011, so it’s great he’s getting a lot of characters now.

3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

True but, if any more Muppet performers (i'm talking Muppet Show characters, here) leave or get fired, they're definitely going to need to promote one of their secondary performers like Tyler Bunch or whoever else works with them often.

BlakeConor14 likes this.
  4. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Or bring someone through the ranks in to do a character if it gets to that stage

5. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Here's a REALLY recent video (today) of Caroll. He seems pretty quiet and content where he is. Living the old life.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  6. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Oh dear. You can hardly even hear his voice because it's so quiet, but he looks great though!

Nice video too.

7. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

It's sad watching recent videos of him since it basically shows he doesn't have much time left.

But alas, when the day does come, we can always remember his wonderful performances.

8. MikaelaMuppet

I know I may sound morbid (and I apologize if I am), but I don't think that he's going to be around for much longer unfortunately. :(

9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie - that video almost made me cry.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  10. LittleJerry92

To be fair, you're not wrong, even if it hurts to point it out.

11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I've had that same concern lingering in the back of my mind for a long time now, which is why I knew if I didn't take the opportunity to meet him at the Knoxville Fanboy Expo when I did, I'd probably never have that opportunity ever again. Yes, he seemed to be in poor shape; yes, his voice was soft; yes, he struggled to sign my 40 years book; yes, Debbie finished a lot of his sentences for him; yes, Debbie pushed him around in a wheelchair; yes, his handshake was weak . . . but at least I got to meet him in person, face-to-face, and tell him what an inspiration he's been to me as a puppeteer, and how much I thank him for that (which he also thanked me in return), and even give him some artwork as a gift. It's been two months since that day, but I'm still geeking out about it, because it was the biggest highlight of my sad Muppety existence.

Like everyone else, I don't want anything to happen to him, and I hate to think about the possibility of losing him, but it's a reality we all have to face - just as we did with Jerry Nelson: we knew he was living on borrowed time, so while it was still sad that he passed on, it wasn't surprising. I know Caroll said he wanted to at least hold on until Season 50 - let's all hope that he can; that'd make Season 50 all the more special.

12. LittleJerry92

Michael Earl followed afterwards, what with his battle with prostate cancer.

Seeing his Facebook posts mentioning his health deteriorating and his time coming to the end of the road definitely made me teary eyed, and it's deaths like his that make me scared of becoming diagnosed with cancer.

13. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

We all know it's going to be, sadly, very soon. But we can all still know and appreciate that we got to exist at the same time and breathe the same air that Caroll did.

And hopefully we'll all get to see him at the raspberries someday.

14. MikaelaMuppet

Thanks I guess.