Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Another article wondering about the future of The Muppets:
http://screenrant.com/muppets-kermit-voice-actor-fired-future/

It's interesting to see an article like this from something that isn't a Muppet fan site. But, more importantly, it states that Muppet Guys Talking will get a wider release this fall. I hope it's true.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I find KSY has a certain Film School 101 charm to it, and considering it came out a year after the Muppets inspired me to be a puppeteer (and it was the first Muppet movie we had since MFS), it felt like the kind of movie that I could probably make: small budget, but still enjoyable just the same; not to mention the new characters were all fun - Googles was especially a typical neurotic, yet lovable Joey Mazzarino character.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Regarding VMX, MFS, and KSY, I honestly think they're enjoyable in their own rights. C'mon, it's the Muppets! :stick_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I think that MFS is a surprisingly underrated film. To me I think it's actually a very good one, and a very Muppet-esque one as well. Honestly, it's probably my favorite of the ones I've seen outside of The Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan. (Yes, I even prefer it over TGMC - sue me.)

As for they other two, they fall under the 'weak yet somehow great' category. As an example, Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark album has undoubtedly some of the band's weakest songs, yet, said songs I actually really love. It's the same with these two films. Yes, they're weak, but that doesn't mean they're not good too. I know I'm not making any sense, but I tried. :stick_out_tongue:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I personally think all the post Jim films got worse with each consecutive release. Treasure Island wasn't as good as Christmas Carol, and MFS was easily worse than either of them. For those who don't simply give Muppet films passing grades for including a lot of older characters, VMX was far below any of the previous theatrical films. Meanwhile KSY and Oz were definitely bottom of the barrel. The BIG upswing was the 2011 film, easily the best full-length Muppet product since Christmas Carol. Muppets Most Wanted, while also better than anything since Christmas Carol, wasn't quite as good. Personally, I think if Disney WAS to make another theatrical film, it would continue the downward slide.
What I meant about VMX is that it was great to see Kermit front & center instead of Gonzo or Rizzo. It's not a great movie, but it's still enjoyable.

Honestly, none of the post-Henson muppet movies are great aside from the Muppets and MMW.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Regarding VMX, MFS, and KSY, I honestly think they're enjoyable in their own rights. C'mon, it's the Muppets! :stick_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I think that MFS is a surprisingly underrated film. To me I think it's actually a very good one, and a very Muppet-esque one as well. Honestly, it's probably my favorite of the ones I've seen outside of The Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan. (Yes, I even prefer it over TGMC - sue me.)

As for they other two, they fall under the 'weak yet somehow great' category. As an example, Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark album has undoubtedly some of the band's weakest songs, yet, said songs I actually really love. It's the same with these two films. Yes, they're weak, but that doesn't mean they're not good too. I know I'm not making any sense, but I tried. :stick_out_tongue:
Muppets From Space is okay. Jeffrey Tambor and Bobo the bear are great in it and there are some funny moments. It's at least more entertaining (but not necessarily better) than Muppets take Manhattan for me, but doesn't come close than the first two.

I completely agree with your 'weak yet somehow great' statement, because even if VMX, MFS, etc aren't great, they're still the forking muppets, and they'll almost always be enjoyable.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Interesting article, though I don't think I'd call "MTM" the greatest Muppet Movie of all. I finally watched the whole thing last night, and I'm sorry, but I didn't find it that great. A good movie, to be sure, don't get me wrong, it just wasn't my thing. I actually liked MFS better (and don't get on my case about that, people, saying that you liked it better is NOT the same thing as saying it was better). MTM did have an awesome soundtrack, though. You have to admit, Steve was great at scat.

Then again, this is typical of me. What I don't like, the majority loves, and what I love, the majority doesn't like.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I don't think I'd call "MTM" the greatest Muppet Movie of all.
Of course it isn't. Nothing has ever beaten, nor ever will beat, The Muppet Movie. It's flat-out pretty much perfect. Probably in my overall Top 10.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Of course it isn't. Nothing has ever beaten, nor ever will beat, The Muppet Movie. It's flat-out pretty much perfect. Probably in my overall Top 10.
I'd say Great Muppet Caper is the best. If I were to rank them

The Great Muppet Caper
The Muppet Movie
Muppets Most Wanted
The Muppets (2011)
Muppets From Space
The Muppets Take Manhattan
Muppet Treasure Island
Muppet Christmas Carol (Good movie, not a good muppet movie though).

Interesting article, though I don't think I'd call "MTM" the greatest Muppet Movie of all. I finally watched the whole thing last night, and I'm sorry, but I didn't find it that great. A good movie, to be sure, don't get me wrong, it just wasn't my thing. I actually liked MFS better (and don't get on my case about that, people, saying that you liked it better is NOT the same thing as saying it was better). MTM did have an awesome soundtrack, though. You have to admit, Steve was great at scat.

Then again, this is typical of me. What I don't like, the majority loves, and what I love, the majority doesn't like.
Ya, that's what I said above. MTM is a lot less fun compared to MFS, but I don't think it was a better movie. MTM is just dull with the muppets separated for a good bit of the movie and all that.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
If we're just ranking the theatrical films...

Great Muppet Caper
The Muppet Movie
Muppets Take Manhattan
The Muppets
Muppet Christmas Carol
Muppets Most Wanted
Muppet Treasure Island
Muppets From Space

JT Yorke

Reaction score
Great Muppet Caper
The Muppet Movie