Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Whitmire: Rizzo
Vogel: Constantine

I love when second generation performers get their own characters.
I don't consider Steve a second generation preformer. Sure he was not with Jim at the beginning, but he is not A second generation preformer.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I don't consider Steve a second generation preformer. Sure he was not with Jim at the beginning, but he is not A second generation preformer.
It's debatable. Personally I consider any performer who joined after The Muppet Show to be second generation. Steve, Kathy Mullen, Louise Gold and a couple of others just make it into the first generation category.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Okay, he's not a "second generation" performer, but he didn't have any prominent roles until MTM and it wasn't until the 90's that he rose through the ranks.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I liked Uncle Deadly more in the 2011 movie than the 2015 show.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Y'know, at the risk of contradicting myself, I got to thinking about things, and I guess, in some small way, despite the writing, Steve could be partly at fault for Kermit's personality and performance, if only because I remembered an example that I'm sure @fuzzygobo and @JimAndFrank would understand:

So, when Gary Burghoff chose to leave M*A*S*H, he wanted to be finished with the series altogether and expected to have his character Radar properly written off the show at the end of his final season, when the network decided to persuade him to return at the beginning of the following season to lead up to a to a big send-off for sweeps. When he came back, he apparently was really irritable, and it apparently showed through his performance enough that episode writer Ken Levine has complained about it on his blog years ago.

So, I guess yeah, maybe it's partly the fault of the writers and partly the fault of Steve.