1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GonzoMan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

muppetperson likes this.
  2. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Re-read the (edited) post.

3. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

That is the where, but what about the when?

4. wiley207

wiley207 Active Member

Just think of it being like if Jerry Nelson performed Kermit! :zany:

gavry3 likes this.
  5. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

*shrug* Got me. Last month, I'm thinking.

muppetperson likes this.
  6. zns

zns Well-Known Member

I'm all out for giving Matt Vogel all the encouragement I can. And best wishes to Steve Whitmire in his future. As long as these characters can continue onward without certain people, I am happy. :):):)

7. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Wow this was not the news I was expecting this morning, didn't have time to respond earlier....Not the worst news we could have got but jeez. Was getting ready for work reading Twitter and saw Muppet Mindset had posted their article and I was shook with emotions, didn't know how to feel just put me in down mood for the day.

Really gonna miss Steve as he was the Kermit I grew up with, I was born after Jim's passing. And of course who could forget the other countless characters and laughs and great moments that he brought us? Watching several interviews with him, he seems like the sweetest most kind hearted person in the world, and that's the kind of character Kermit is. He brought that essence that Jim had to Kermit and at one point I couldn't tell the difference.

That's all I have for now and I hope the rest of you are good. We will overcome this though. I'm not saying theres a big revival of The Muppets coming or anything like that, or maybe there is? We wont know and sadly we have to wait, but hopefully they will attempt some sort of Youtube/TV show again or a movie but we will see.

8. Cookie Chris

Cookie Chris Member

I just heard the news about ten minutes ago. I am in shock. I was born after Jim Henson's death so Steve Whitmire was the Kermit the Frog that I grew with. Like everyone else, I'm curious who will take the rest of Steve's characters. Nevertheless, I do hope Matt Vogel does justice to Kermit for now, but it's going to take time getting used to for me. Finally, my appreciation for Dave Goelz has just shot up. He is now the last of the "Old Guard" of the Muppets having done them for over forty years.

On the other hand, as usual, the news reports show their ignorance of the Muppets. TV Line and The Hollywood Reporter claim Steve was "the voice of Kermit the Frog" or has "voiced Kermit" in past productions. I'll cut them some slack because they may not be huge fans of the Muppets, but puppeteering an iconic character is mostly physically operating the character and ten percent of it is doing the voice as I seem to recall from past interviews from the Muppet performers.

Muppet Master likes this.
  9. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

So....what's next for Steve? I can't see him going back to Sesame Street for any reason. Maybe he can join the team for Happytime Murders or Age of Resistance? Possibly begin running puppetry workshops and teach instead? I honestly have no idea what the circumstances are in his life, so it's hard to come to a conclusion.

10. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Steve performed Kermit in

The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson
    The Muppet Christmas Carol
    Muppet Classic Theater
    Muppet Treasure Island
    Muppets Tonight
    Muppets From Space
    It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
    The Muppets' Wizard of Oz
    A Muppet Christmas: Letters to Santa
    The Muppets (2011)
    Muppets Most Wanted
    and The Muppets (2015)

What a legacy. 2 shows. 5 feature films. 3 direct-to-TV movies. Countless television appearances.

11. MuppetGuy75

MuppetGuy75 Active Member

So sad to hear this news. I can't wait to hear more about his reasons for leaving. Until then, I will look forward to Matt Vogel's new role. Let's hope he does a good job and nails not only Kermit's voice but his mannerisms too.

muppetgem likes this.
  12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Looking at what little info has been leaked so far, I'm starting to wonder if maybe Steve's departure is on similar grounds as Joey's was for leaving SST?

GonzoMan and muppetgem like this.
  13. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Maybe who knows hopefully he works for Henson like Joey and Kevin do now?

scooterfan360 likes this.
  14. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Do Joey and Kevin work for Henson now?

15. GonzoMan

GonzoMan Member

I was thinking the same thing myself.

16. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Kevin does. Joey was just director of the new Julie's Greenroom series.

scooterfan360, LaRanaRene and gavry3 like this.
  17. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

If I do recall, Steve's last appearance was a bit raspy.

18. ChickyBoy37

ChickyBoy37 Well-Known Member

I was in shock when I heard about this! I can honestly say that he was a great performer in his own right and I wish him the best of luck.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  19. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I wonder about that too. I was watching MCC last night as a tribute and it seems like Steve's :) was pretty dead on there, but in Steve's most recent appearances as :), I've noticed the raspiness in his voice. I worry about that because Disney has let go of Paul Winchell as Tigger because they thought his voice has gotten to raspy to properly portray the character, but I don't know. Just a theory. A GAME THEORY! Lol. Just trying to lighten the mood here.

gavry3 likes this.
  20. GonzoMan

GonzoMan Member

I just hope Dave Goelz doesn't leave next because of this. He's really the only performer left who was one of the originals on TMS.

Muppet Master likes this.