1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GonzoMan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

You're not alone, really, I notice a number of people here who have noted a difference in Kermit's personality with Steve as well - a mellow, almost subdued personality in comparison to Jim's easily flustered Kermit who was quick to fly off the handle.

2. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Despite being sad about Steve leaving, I'm happy this means that Peter Linz gets more roles (most likely) he really deserves it. Also, Statler has got to be the most recast muppet

Jerry Nelson 1975
    Richard Hunt 1976-1991
    Jerry Nelson 1992-2003
    Steve Whitmire 2003-2016
    (?) Peter Linz 2017-present

LaRanaRene and Mo Frackle like this.
  3. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Pig's Laundry and D'Snowth like this.
  4. D'Snowth

Quite an extensive guide there.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  5. Mo Frackle

6. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

I love how Dave Goelz is the sole Gonzo performer aside from 2 one-off performances.

7. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

When Dave leaves (which should NOT happen in a very long time) I think Peter would be a good recast. I hear a similarity in his voice for Gonzo.

Duke Remington likes this.
  8. Mo Frackle

Frank did him for a promo for the Sex and Violence pilot - though he wasn't really "Gonzo" at that point. Not at all unlike his role in The Great Santa Claus Switch.

Muppet Master likes this.
  9. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Well, it's sad when you think about it, because Link and the Newsman had just returned to the spotlight recently after being retired for so long after Jim's death. I'd hate to see them be phased out again, but we'll see what happens.

Oh, okay. I listened to that and I noticed the slight difference in :)'s voice there, but maybe it's just my ears because I just read Duke's post about Steve rerecording those lines. So I'm not sure about that one.

10. D'Snowth

11. Mo Frackle

Yeah, he re-recorded them later on. The "fake" Kermit voice was kept in for this early edition of the game, though. You can hear the redubbed version here.
    11:57

12. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Oh, okay. That makes more sense then. Lol. I'll listen to that and I'll listen to the first one again as well when I get a chance and make some comparisons.

Well, Steve's :) had his share of outbursts too, specifically in MTI and VMX, but I see what you mean. It was more common with Jim's :).

I could actually picture Marty as :concern:. I noticed in 90s movies, Gonzo's voice does sound a bit like Telly's, but I'm not sure Marty really does any characters outside of Sesame Workshop.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Duke Remington likes this.
  13. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

14. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

So Disney made this decision not Steve.

15. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

I will say that it is very encouraging that Steve is still dedicated to the Muppets, and is willing to continue working with them if Disney and him can see eye to eye on these issues.

16. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I screamed so you didn't have to.

17. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

18. JT Yorke

JT Yorke Active Member

This is so heartwarming to read.. he even feels like he failed us fans, Steve is such a great person.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  19. Mo Frackle

Anyone else having trouble posting on Steve's new blog? I keep trying to post a nice comment, but I keep getting taken to a coding error page.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    BobbyBenson64 and Duke Remington like this.
  20. D'Snowth

Figures.
    I got the same error message, but my comment still went through anyway, so I guess there's no real concern there.

LaRanaRene likes this.