Steve Whitmire with Avenue Q?

hoopless

Reaction score
I never knew any muppeteers were involved with Avenue Q, until last night when I was at a party and one of my friends told me "I saw the guy who does Kermit's voice once"

She went on to say that he was the puppet master for the show and gave an introductory speech when she saw it before it closed in the West End last month. I feel insanely jealous that she got to be in the same room with him and doesn't even know who he is, saying she couldn't remember his name, but he's grey now.

Did anyone else know he was involved?

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I Don't Think Steve would distance himself from the Muppets. He never did since he joined.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I'm skeptical of this. For one thing, I'd think it would be mentioned in the Muppet wikia if he had. Two, how likely is it that someone would not know Steve Whitmire's name, yet know that he "did Kermit's voice once"?

hoopless

Reaction score
I'm skeptical of this. For one thing, I'd think it would be mentioned in the Muppet wikia if he had. Two, how likely is it that someone would not know Steve Whitmire's name, yet know that he "did Kermit's voice once"?
Apparently they know because he said it was him and did the voice. It seems very odd to me too hence why I started the topic. As far as I was aware the only link to the Muppets was the guy who made the puppets once worked at the Muppet Workshop.

And Kuriboh Man, I don't think of it as distancing himself from them if he was involved, I'd hazard a guess that working with the Muppets until recently hasn't been much of a full time job. The man has to make a living.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I never heard of Steve performing in Ave. Q. Because of his busy schedule, it would've been impossible for him to do the show for a certain amount of performances. It's highly possible he was at a performance and they brought him up on stage and he gave a speech. I'm sure he went to see it at some point as many of his coworkers were in it.

hoopless

Reaction score
Oh no, he wasn't performing. From what I was told he was in charge of the puppets and just gave a little speech about that, all the puppets they use in the show,the costumes, how they're shared between performers, and evidently who he was.
Sorry for any confusion there.

The Muppaphone

Reaction score
Also, could have been one of the many "kermit clones" Disney attempted to use on cruise ships and live shows at the very beginning of their ownership. The fan community thankfully nipped that in the bud pretty quickly, but I'm told that they did happen for a very brief period of time. Also remember the "fake" Kermit on America's Got Talent. Could be any of those people. I'm sure just performing Kermit once, for however brief, would be at the very top of their resume

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
well i dont think that was the case this time since they OP said the person was connected to Avenue Q which is why i think they were referring to Rick Lyon