Steven Colbert to replace David Letterman in 2015

mr3urious

Reaction score
With Dave announcing his retirement from The Late Show next year, Stephen Colbert was chosen to fill his shoes. The writers on his show will go with him, too.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/10/stephen-colbert-letterman/

Steve will be dropping his ultra right wing screen personality in favor of being himself, which I'm curious as to what that will be like. Also, I like how unlike with Jay Leno and NBC back in '09, Dave will just ride off into the sunset and move on to other things.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In so much as what will happen to his Comedy Central gig, I wish I could be happy about it, but I'm not. He may just have some mainstream, non-political, network appeal yet. I'm not worried about that. Just, I think we'll all miss the Colbert Report, and this will be something different.

mr3urious

Reaction score
That's the thing I'm most worried about: Colbert's show coming to an end, as the EW article doesn't make it clear. The Colbert Report and The Daily Show are the main ways I get my news.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get tickets to see Dave one more time, before they become impossible to find. If not, I'm happy to have seen him once.
I'll bet you anything, since Bill Murray was his very first guest, he'll be his last one as well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that having Stephen Colbert replace Dave Letterman was a mistake; Colbert's version of THE LATE SHOW seems heavy-handed on the political humor and guests, which is essentially what his old cable show was. Then again, I never expected Colbert to be Letterman, and I never expected THE LATE SHOW to be like it was when it was Letterman's show . . . but still, I can do without politics.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't seen an episode, but I'm actually glad to see he's probably keeping up his usual schtick.

And let's face it. Everyone's going to do politics because it's just so freaking poisonous now. Some of that becomes ranty because of the level of bile. I never thought that Bush years Family Guy was preachy so much as ranty, and the writers wanted to express their disgust. Colbert came out of the 00's opinionated loudmouth era as a parody of them. Frankly, Obama year loudmouths are more over the top and cartoonish than Colbert ever could be. I'm surprised there hasn't been a parody of Glenn Beck series, but there's no way to out crazy him no matter how hard you parody.

Don't know if he's still doing his exact same bit, but if he didn't do politics to some extent, his original audience wouldn't tune in.