Sticky figure question

Reaction score
I'm moving here in a week or two and while packing I found that one of them had paint that was still sticky. So I checked another one that I knew was sticky and found it was also still sticky. My question is, is this normal? Is there a way to get rid of the tackiness of the paint? I'm just worried about dust or something ruining it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... If you're talking about the Series 8 figures and Super Beaker, then yes... The sticky or "tacky" paint was a problem that persistently clung to that batch of figures. You should let them dry in a place where the paint can harden and settle... Either that, or take a washcloth with just a minimal drop of lubricant and go over the figures gingerly. Hopefully, that'll take some of the stick away while leaving the paint job undamaged. Course, I can't say if this'll work fully... You might want to ask around and get some replies from other people who've had experience dealing with this problem.

Hope this helps.

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
Actually.....Something that might even work just as well, is if you bought yourself "Dull Coat" it's spray can made by Testors....the model paint (little bottles) if ya give them a quick spray which I DID it takes away the stickiness, and since its clear you would be able to tell they were even touched. Everything will still move and turn the way it is supposed to. Only thing is to use it in a well vented area....Hope it helps

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Thanks for the tip Zoot. Maybe if my guys are still in need of a bit of unstickifying touch-ups... Again, thanks for the suggestion.

TK1994

Reaction score
I was about to start my own thread on this (but did a search first).

I'm glad this isn't just my problem. I have had a lot of Muppets figures in storage for years, and when I opened up more tonight I started finding that several were sticky. Sam the Eagle was, Super Beaker actually got red paint from his hair on my hands....

Wow....this was common? I also don't understand after so many years how the paint can still be wet.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Some figures emerge from the box stickier than others. This was a factory issue. It has to do with the process and order of the paint application. It likely wouldn't matter how long they were sealed in the clamshell. Super Beaker was especially sticky. My advice is to shelve him in a cool dry place for several days. It is an unfortunate part of the collectible industry and happens more often than it should. :eek:

Dearth

Reaction score
I have a very sticky white-shirt Lips figure (and his Java Muppets), so I sent an email to Ken Lilly. He said it's not the paint, it's a problem with the soft-goods plastic itself being unstable, due to a glitch at the factory on the amount of plasticizer in the mix.

I tried Krylon sealant, but that didn't seem to help much.

Let me say this, though! Don't wash them. I ran this figure under PLAIN TAP WATER for a couple of seconds, and some of the black paint ran. I had to do a touchup before I sealed him.

Dearth