Still looks like foam.....

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
i made a foam puppet and i painted it. it ended up looking like Sam from Sam & Friends as opposed to Sam from Today's Special (which i was aiming for). that was until i added the cap and creasent shaped eyes. I think the puppet's great but i'm not completely satisfied. I wanted him to be a SOFT puppet. so how do i make the foam a certain color but still have it all soft and foamy (ie, the muppet show pigs)

BorkBork

Reaction score
the way i understand it is that you have naked painted foam.

The pigs are flocked. It's a technique where they spray flock on to the puppet with a gun. I think that could be explained in more detail, but i don't know anything about it. Buck Beaver maybe knows?
Maybe that's the look your'e after? Or did i missunderstand it completely???:big_grin:

/Anders

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I talked a little w/ Amy Van Gilder @ Muppetfest and from what I remember they spray glue on the foam and then stick it in an "oven" (that is definately the wrong word -- kids, don't try this at home!) or some such thing that, by means of static charge, sticks a bunch of little nylon fuzzies to the foam. I've heard another way to do this is to just roll the nylon on, but it tends to clump and won't be as smooth as statically charging it. This is all I can remember. I haven't had any experience with it and don't know where to get supplies, but I'd really love to try it out some day too.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

pdbooch

Reaction score
hey punkNpuppets,
Depending on what type of foam you used, I do believe you can dye the foam
with rit dye. You'd get a more Janice look than the velvet-y look of the Muppet Show pigs. I spray painted an Audrey 2 puppet I made with both regular spray paint and a spray paint that is used in flower decorations. I forget that name off hand, but I'll check later. Check out my link below to see what I mean with the Audrey 2.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-Beaver
Check out this link at Axtell Xpressions for more information on flocking equipment & where to get it.

WOAH!!! 500 DOLLARS!!! ummmm....i'll pass

what's the stuff that's used for the sesame street cows? the look smoother and stuff

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yeah, it's quite the investment. I'm not sure what brands of product the Muppet workshop uses (maybe ToastCrumbs can tell?) but it's essentially done with either the same equipment or something very similar.

Like most processes, the more talent & money you have the slicker the end product usually ends up looking. The Muppet workshop has some of the most talented puppet builders in the world (as we all know) so of course their flocked puppets look better!

That being said, Steve and the folks at Axtell Xpressions are awesome. :wink:

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
i looked at a picture of Buster The Horse, and it got me thinking. what is that stuff? i have some of it in my garage i think, it's black. i think its something u do sit ups on. its really smooth and nylon-like but i know it aint nylon. what is it?

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by BorkBork
the way i understand it is that you have naked painted foam.

naked painted foam? well i used modge podge after i painted, which i sort of regret cuz hes pretty hard.

ToastCrumbs

Reaction score
SOFT FOAM HEADS AND PUPPET BODIES

Here are all the answeres to your questions. First of all I really don't recommend using any type of spray paint on soft foam. If you've done this you probably know that it makes the foam hard and brittle not to mention it hurts the life of the foam over all. Most soft foam heads or soft foam animal bodies like Sesame Street horses and cows are flocked. There's no way around it. If thats the look you want, that's how it's done.
Unfortunetly the guns do run up around the $500 range. Here's a suggestion, try either using Rit or even Tintex dyes. You can even mix different shades of the same colors to match what you're going for. After your dye job, try a little bit of grinded up pastel. You can brush this on but you'll have to lightly spary it with some type of a seal. I believe hairspray works well. But remember quick and light and from at least 12 inches away. You just need a dusting. Also try airbrushing with acrylic in certain areas for highlights. I believe you may be able to add something called pros aid so that the paint bends with the foam and doesn't crack. Hope this helps... And remember boys and girls, Happy Puppet Building.