Storyteller/JH Hour--help!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Okay y'all, I'm confused...

I have "The Storyteller" DVD and have just started watching it last night. There are 9 episodes. Then, there are "The Storyteller: Greek Myths" which I'm going to get, and are 4 episodes.

So how were these aired?

Were all 9 Storyteller shows aired independently, and then the 4 Greek myth ones were part of "The Jim Henson Hour"? Or what?

I'm lost on this, but am so curious as to the history of all 13 episodes and how they came to the screen...

:confused:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... Lemme set you straight on this Byron.

The Jim Henson Hour had a total of fourteen episodes. The Pilot/Innertube episode was the first, and Sesame Street 20 Years and Still Counting! was the last which sort of counts as a stand alone episode.
Of the remaining twelve episodes, four were hour-long specials: Dog City, Monster Maker, The Secrets of The Muppets, and Living With Dinosaurs.
The remaining eight episodes were planned to show a Muppet-based episode during the first half hour, and a second special production during the second half hour.

Here's how it breaks down...
Episode 1: Muppets: Science-Fiction with Louie Anderson, The Storyteller: The Heartless Giant.
Episode 2: Muppets: Aquatic Life with Ted Dansen, Lighthouse Island.
Episode 3: Muppets: Monster Telethon, The Storyteller: The Soldier and Death.
Episode 5: Muppets: The Ratings Game, Miss Piggy's Hollywood.
Episode 7: Muppets: Health & Fitness with Smoky Robinson, The Song of The Cloud Forest.
Episode 8: Muppets: Musicians with Buster Pointdexter, The Storyteller: The True Bride.
Episode 9: Muppets: Garbage with K.D. Lang, The Storyteller: Sapsorrow.
Episode 12: Muppets: Food, The Storyteller: The Three Ravens.

The additional four episodes of The Storyteller then aired independently of the JHH on HBO, followed by the independent airing of the spin-off series, The Greek Myths four episodes.
Hope this helps.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Ahhh, okay...so 4 episodes were in "The Jim Henson Hour". And these are the ones I must've seen, seeing as I didn't grow up with HBO, which ran the other 4 episodes, plus the Greek Myth episodes.

Thanks, Count! :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh... It was 5 episodes that ran on or as part of JHH.
You're welcome Byron. Keep the campaign for Mokey on FR Season 3, it's never too early to start the hype.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
All of the Storyteller, Greek Myths and even Monster Maker were shown independantly in their own right in the UK as these shows were co-produced by UK TV Company "TVS"

hope it helps

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
The Count said:
Uh... It was 5 episodes that ran on or as part of JHH.
You're welcome Byron. Keep the campaign for Mokey on FR Season 3, it's never too early to start the hype.
5, that's what I meant. I just kept messing up my numbers, lol...but I know what you were sayin'.

Really!

I know!

:big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Is sokay Byron... No worries.
Now let's get the ball rolling on gettin' Mokey included on the FR Season 3 DVD release!