Struggling with friends as an artist

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I can totally relate to that. I think my friend is just plain jellious as well an a conartist. And I knew this guy for 5 years laughing and having fun and he keep telling me how talented I am at puppetry, and animation and how funny I am and how he writes comedy movies and if I collaberate with his friend, our dreams are going to come true. He said nothing about me working underneigh him and not being able to have my own ideas, jokes, and creative freedom. And I knew in my heart my dream is to be a succesful comedic artist, I'm in it for the art not just to make money. Having lots of money is cool and fun. But that's not why I love art. Art you can express yourself and share your vision with the world, that's what Jim Henson did, that's what Trey and Matt of South Park did, That's what Spitting Image did in terms of their politcal satire and even Robert Crumb and Matt Groening in satirizing society conformity and jerks. All those guys didn't want people to tell them what to create and what to do, they fought hard for their creative freedom, hired people with the same dream and had fun :smile: It's kind of like The Muppet Movie. Kermit plays his banjo and Don Dellouese (however you spell his last name lol) tells Kermit about fame and fortune and making lots of people happy. And how Kermit didn't think of money or fame, it was making people happy. And who Doc Hopper wanted Kermit to sell out and make tons of money selling frog legs and how he keep chasing Kermit to the very end. And how doc said his goal is about making money and Kermit says "Well I have a dream too, but it's about singing and dancing and making people happy, it gets better with the more people you share it with and I found a whole bunch of friends who share the same dream and it kind of makes us like a family. And if you don't share the same dreams as me and well....go ahead and kill me."

You know what's really funny about the plot of The Muppet Movie. Is that I've been a Muppet fan all my life, grew up watching Sesame, The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight (which was amazing to be a kid in the 1990s seeing new Muppet episodes, plus the many crazy cartoons on Nickelodeon, MTV, Cartoon Network and of course South Park lol)
But in my mid-20s, I'm starting to see all of those adult messages and meanings. Like what The Muppet Movie is really about. It's about following your dreams no matter what kind of bully tries to stop you and The Rainbow Connection, Being Green, the lyrics in that. It goes to show that there was all this wonderful advice and philosophy. It's amazing and very inspiring. I totally got to watch The Muppet Movie again sometime soon. :smile: I haven't seen it in a long awhile.

One of the things I'm not sure if I even mentioned is that this ex-friend of mine told me about this book called Writing Movies for Fun and Profit and telling me to read it, so I bought a copy and bought a kindle version to so I could analize it and hightlight the book without damaging it. And it was saying how studios try to ruin your script all the time and not to worry, only care about the money which I knew something wrong was with this theory. But then they mentioned that if you really want to make art you have to be a producer and director. So now I think the only things that are good about the book is how to write a movie and script format, and of course stuff about how to find Lori Petty in LA which I loved because I have a huge crush on Tank Girl :smile:
Anyway It also mentioned that you can't get work out there unless you live in LA and my ex-friend had told me that he was moving to LA at the end of the year and I was begging him for me to come along. Which amazes me now because I can just imagion him treating me as if artists are the lowest lifeform on the planet. So I'm trying to think of just pitching stuff for now. Besides I have a bunch of Muppet Membrobilla that I couldn't fit in my appartment that's at my evil father's basement that I need to get as well as the rest of my stuff so I can organize it to the point where moving won't be so bad if I had to. My father and his wife were horrably verbally abusive and have me PTSD. But that's another tragic story.

Sometimes I think. What if Jim Henson lived in todays modern world of youtube cyberbullies bringing people down on their films and just harshness on the internet from 14 year olds looking tough and scary. And having someone like my ex-friend going up to him promising him fame and fortune for his art. I'm 100% sure that Jim won't allow people to treat him horrable like that.
I was reading resently when The Muppets were on SNL and how the writers of SNL wrote for The Muppets and not Jim Henson or Jerry Juhl or anyone with the exception of two skits. And just to be in that position I'm sure Jim was a little stressed out knowing that they couldn't add anything in the scripts. The writers hated writing for The Muppets which I totally don't understand, I would love to write for The Muppets! But the writers back them seemed very angry and not very sensitive. One writer went to Jim's house and Jim said "Oh, uh, Scred won't say this." and the writer got angry which is totally rediculous. But I'm glad The Muppets never had that kind of blockage on their creative freedom ever again.

I just hope I find creative friends to work with. Even when I was a kid, I wanted to work with someone on art. I had a friend who also became a con artist. He only cared about what I had and not who I am. I sort of forgot about the little scamp until now. lol But it's good to get all my thoughts on the plate, like what Jim said "Having gone through all the problems in life makes you a stronger person." And I knew the whole time when working with my ex before he became nasty that if I had a problem with something, I should listen to how I feel and speak up. And as the 30 year old baby as he is, he doesn't want to hear it.
But I'm totally glad to have my creative freedom back. :smile: