1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Suggestions... new puppet

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by blemker, Aug 1, 2004.

1. blemker

blemker New Member

Let me know what you think. I'd love to start doing more and getting more into it. I just ordered Sintra and some Antron Fleece. I had been using foamboard and polar fleece.

I'm open to any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, appraisals.

Thanks,

Doug

http://www.geocities.com/blemker/dbdesigns.html
  2. Yahnke

Yahnke Member

I think your puppet is excellent? That is obviously not your first attempt, correct? Wise move on going for sintra, that stuff is awesome!!!! I got a pile of it for free from sign company that does a lot of buisness. They had tons of scraps. The only suggestion i have, and this is not a put down...but and encouragement, is that the palm of the hand look a little flat, maybe a little more fiber fill? unless you intended it to be that way? either way. Your puppet is great. I would have no problem using him in any of my shows.
    kudos for you.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

You have an awesome puppet there! WAY awesome!
  4. Iokitek

Iokitek New Member

I agree here. That puppet looks great! I don't know how much practice you've had but you definately have talent.

So do you want us to pitch you some ideas for your next project? Or did you want us to give you some building advice on how to improve your skills? :) I'm just a bit confused about what it is exactly you are looking for.
  5. thatonekid

thatonekid New Member

that's pretty darn good puppet ya got there. if that's your first puppet you are incredible, and even if it's 50th it's still really good.
    and that head looks like something from arms length. :)
    although, there's something a little weird about the arms but i can't quite put my finger on it.
  6. Well obviously there's something weird about the arms -- they've got friggin' metal rods sticking out of them!

Seriously, I think the only thing that's a little awkward is the apparent lack of elbows, but that's an awesome puppet. Excellent job. How long have you been working with puppets?
  7. thatonekid

thatonekid New Member

yeah the lack of elbows is what made them look weird.
  8. blemker

blemker New Member

Thanks for your input.

Thank you all for your input. I will definitely work on the arms. I always seem to have challenges with creative eyes, noses and hair as well. A few people have commented that it looks like something from Arms-Length which I don't know if that's good or bad because I hate to look like a copy-cat which I'm not. I've researched quite a bit and had some great input from Darren at DPuppets and gotten some additional ideas and tweaking from him and other websites. I'd love to learn more foam shaping techniques for different looks - that's trial and error I guess. I've been working on building puppets on and off for about 10 years -- just for fun.

I'd love to get to a point where I could sell some of the puppets but not sure how to go about that and I definitely don't want to sell anything until I'm 100 percent satisfied with the results.

Once I get more experience with Sintra, Antron Fleece, the arms and some additional eye options (other than the 1/2 bulb... which I do love the look of) I am looking to set up a website to allow people to purchase the puppets. I love the building process but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with many more puppets than I already have. I would love to recoup some of my investment... fun can only go so far until the credit cards start calling.

Thanks again, I'm open to any additional ideas and suggestions!

Doug
    blemker@yahoo.com
  9. Kye

Kye Member

Doug,
    Thats a great Puppet! I think you will find that your new purchase will be a lot better then the polar fleece and easier to keep clean. I cant wait to see more.
  10. thatonekid

thatonekid New Member

yeah your puppet definetly looks armslength inspired, and that is NOT a bad thing. :D and don't feel like you're a copy cat 'cause arms length makes videos and kits on how to make puppets like that. many people have tried to make puppets that look very similar to what you have made and not many have made them look as good as yours. :)

and if you're not armslength inspired i was wondering what you use for eyes 'cause the ylook really good.
  11. Fozzie Bear

blemker,

Here's something that I've been doing with puppets lately. I don't know if I picked this up from Buck Beaver's site, or if it was because I saw it in a book--either way it's awesome. I use it on my own puppet characters, and Muley gets the most use so it's awesome in his elbows (and knees).

The smallest Pipe Warmers you can find that will be able to fit into your puppet's arm, cut it 2 inches shorter than the length of the arm. In the direct center of the arm, cut a divot out of it:
    -------\ /--------
    _______\/_________

Don't cut it all the way through, leaving some space for it to be connected at the bottom of the divot, then I reinforced the back of the pipe cleaner with some duct tape. Ultimately, you should be able to bend the pipe warmer into an "L" shape to get the elbow. Same technique works on knees.

If you check this part of the website and scan down 2/3 of the gallery, you can find photos of the Muley puppet, and in those you can see where he's slightly bending his arms and his elbows appear.

BTW, folks love his knees. I don't know what the attraction is; but, then again, Kermit sang a whole song about how he loved his elbows on SS once. Go figure.
  12. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

Foz,

Not sure that I understood your instructions on the elbows so I went to your site to try and get a glimps of the mechanisim your describing. Do you mean to say that the taped bend in the pipecleaner sticks out from a hole you created in the arm of Muley when he bends it? How does the wire stay in place? And your obviously not using fiberfil in Muley's arms, right? If your usuing foam, then the foam is in two pieces with ends meeting at the "elbow" joint?

Can you please elaborate? ;)

Thanks!
    -Michele
  13. Tztz

Tztz Member

very very cute!!
  14. Fozzie Bear

pipeWARMERs, not pipeCLEANERs.

I'll see if I can find something on line about it and post it here.

There are 2 different Muley puppets viewed on that site (2.5 actually). The older version just has floppy arms with NOTHING in them. That was passable for years and years as an okay means of making a puppet. Nowadays, Muley Puppet Version 3.1 and Version 3.2 has arms with the pipewarmers in them.(his head alone is Version 3.0, and then there's 2 bodies: one for regular, naked Muley, like in the comix; and one to dress up so it's okay if the fur gets all matted up by clothes).

I don't clip all the way through the pipe warmers, I leave them connected some at the base of what is going to be the elbow, but I put a strip of duct tape along that piece to reinforce it so it won't break after bending the elbow too much.
  15. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Where did you come from?
    :p
  16. Fozzie Bear

MEBS! WE COME FROM FRANCE!!
    ~Coneheads :eek:
  17. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

*hanging head* I know buck, I haven't been contributing to the site much lately. I do read a lot of the posts, but I usually don't see them until days after they are posted and someone else has already responded with exceptional ideas or suggestions.

Fortunately, I've been lacking in my MC appearance for good reason, I've picked up quite a bit of work and have made a niche for myself in the educational area locally. I've also picked up another opportunity with a shop that is displaying my work in Williston New York, a place called Sweet Street.

Anyway, Foz..... I don't know what pipewarmers are?? Where would I find them? So am I correct in the assumption that the pipewarmers are the only things you use inside the arm?

Thanks for the great info!:excited:
    -Michele
  18. Buck-Beaver

I got it!

I didn't want to say so, but I was completely thrown by the term "Pipewarmer" but I get it now....do you mean the foam tubes that are used to insulate pipes Foz?
  19. Fozzie Bear

That's right. I call them pipewarmers. Like you put around pipes under the house to keep them warm and from bursting!
  20. Buck-Beaver

Up here we call them by their real names - "black foam thingies".