Super Mario Bros. Games/Shows/Toys

Erine81981

Reaction score
I thought i would make a thread deaicated to two of the most beloved game characters of all. "The Super Mario Bros." I've been on a benge on playing all the new games and all the older games on the Wii.

It's been so long playing all the older stuff on the Wii (Downloading that is) is just bring back so many memories from my childhood. I've always enjoyed the show and games and pretty much any of the McDonald Happy Meal stuff too. I have three of the DVDs; The Super Mario Bros. Super Show Volume 1, 2 and then Super Mario Bros. 3 show too. Still haven't gotten that Super Mario Wrold show yet but soon. But i thought i would start off the thread with some videos i found that someone put together with the show/games/Movies and commercials. I love the songs they've chose too.

King of the Koopas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kVvbLWRWek
Super Mario World Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mi6YQiUHZE&feature=related
Go Mario Go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGTfYXlLaU&feature=related

Enjoy all these videos. There pretty neat to watch.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Even after all these years, I'd still know where the secret coins are and stuff in the first one. We weren't able to beat Super Mario Bros 3 (or 1, for that matter) until we bought All-Stars, as our original copy of 3 had a glitch where you couldn't do anything after beating Bowser. That sucked hard.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even after all these years, I'd still know where the secret coins are and stuff in the first one. We weren't able to beat Super Mario Bros 3 (or 1, for that matter) until we bought All-Stars, as our original copy of 3 had a glitch where you couldn't do anything after beating Bowser. That sucked hard.

Ooohh! Good thing that didn't happen to me.

I gotta say, I could never beat SMB 1 without an emulator or something. I'm always stuck as small Mario just before the last Koopa, and I always died.

I'm glad we finally have some Mario stuff (the best stuff since the original 80's Mario toys)... but I really wish they didn't have a strict CGI Post Gamecube Mario style guide policy. I really miss his old 1980's appearance. And I really liked seeing it on T-Shirts and stuff. I'm seeing some merchandise with classic Sonic the Hedgehog on it (as opposed to Sonic Adventure/Sonic X), and I really wish the same could be said for Mario.

Xerus

Reaction score
Super Mario 2 was my all time favorite Mario game. I loved all the funky kind of villains like the sunglasses wearing Mouser, the three headed Tryclyde, the Shyguys, the Sniffits, the Ostros, The Birdos, and Bob-Ombs, and all the other weird creatures you had to deal with. Plus you get to choose either Mario, Luigi, Toad, or the Princess to be your character. It was nice seeing the Princess in action instead of needing to be rescued. Plus it was interesting how these SM2 villains joined King Bowser Koopa in the cartoon when originally they worked for King Wart who never appeared in the cartoon.

In the other games, I did like the thought of King Bowser having 7 Koopa Kids and the different ways you had to defeat them.

And I liked Yoshi's Island where it showed Mario and Luigi as babies and how they would meet a young Bowser who seemed cute at first until a wizard changed him into a dark scary monster that charged at you and spit fire balls. And if you didn't defeat him in time, he'd get closer and closer AND CLOSER, until WHAM! That was one of the scariest moments I've seen in a video game.

And right now, I'm playing Super Mario 64 on my Nintendo DS. It's a pretty challenging game and I still haven't unlocked a lot of secrets in finding more stars.

Say Erine81981, do you know if the Super Mario Bros. Super Show DVD also includes the Legend of Zelda series?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And I liked Yoshi's Island where it showed Mario and Luigi as babies and how they would meet a young Bowser who seemed cute at first until a wizard changed him into a dark scary monster that charged at you and spit fire balls. And if you didn't defeat him in time, he'd get closer and closer AND CLOSER, until WHAM! That was one of the scariest moments I've seen in a video game.
Dude, yeah! Tell me about it!

I've probably played Yoshi's Island in it's entirety maybe three or four times, and defeating the magically/genetically enlarged Bowser never got any easier.

But who doesn't love the Yoshis debut in Super Mario World? Now THERE'S a game I haven't played in AGES, lol. Matter of fact, this discussion is reminding me of my old Yoshi tribute thread, but I forget the URL, and I'm not up for looking for it, lol. I still have my Yoshi beanies from the 90s - green, yellow and red but never was able to get my hands on the elusive blue. :frown: For you trivia buffs, they served as the "antagonists" in the never-uploaded "Moron League" sequel I did.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Say Erine81981, do you know if the Super Mario Bros. Super Show DVD also includes the Legend of Zelda series?
I have volume 1, and it does not have any of the episodes with Legends of Zelda (though the sneak peeks at Legends to Zelda are still included). I know that there was a DVD set of all the Legends of Zelda episodes, shown as stand-alone cartoons but with a few live-action Mario wrap-arounds as a bonus feature.

So as far as I know, every cartoon from Super Mario bros. Super Show is on DVD, but not every wrap-around. I know that volume 2 is missing four full episodes, with the last four cartoons being included on their own as bonus features.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's a shame that many of the SMB 2 enemies haven't been brought back for future games. That game had so many great bosses. But then again, I wonder if they'd work well in the regular format of Mario games. That game had picking-up objects be a common feature, but it's not as common in other games, though you can pick up turtle shells and blocks in some games, and in The New Super Mario Bros. Wii you can pick many things up.

But it would be weird for a different game to have you pick up Mouser's bombs and throw them back at him. Of course you could probably jump on him (and any of the others... Except for Fryguy), and Mouser doesn't really HAVE to throw bombs, does he? Can't he try a different form of destruction?

It's interesting how in the cartoons Mouser was Bowsers sidekick... The names sort of rhyme (Bowser and Mouser), yet in the cartoons Bowser was normally called King Koopa.

Have any anniversaries been celebrated for Mario? Last year would have been the 30th anniversary... It may be hard to make an anniversary special for a video game franchise, but it would have been great if there was at least an anniversary book. Would it be a crime to consider The New Super Mario Bros. Wii an honorary "30th anniversary game"?

Back when Palisades released the Muppets action figures I often thought up ideas for a similar collection of Mario action figures. I think I even posted a thread about it here back in 2005. In recent years it seems there have been figures or figurines, but not really what I had in mind.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back when Palisades released the Muppets action figures I often thought up ideas for a similar collection of Mario action figures. I think I even posted a thread about it here back in 2005. In recent years it seems there have been figures or figurines, but not really what I had in mind.

The figurines are actually remolds and repackages of older vynal Japanese figures (from 2005 or 06). And if you ever saw how much they went for, it's a good thing someone decided to bring them stateside. I would much rather action figures with accessories, too. but they are pretty cool stuff.

Actually, I managed to snag a large 12" Mario vynal for 9 bucks a couple years back. those retailed for about 30 bucks for a Japanese one, and they're still pretty pricey for the US version.

It's a shame that many of the SMB 2 enemies haven't been brought back for future games. That game had so many great bosses. But then again, I wonder if they'd work well in the regular format of Mario games. That game had picking-up objects be a common feature, but it's not as common in other games, though you can pick up turtle shells and blocks in some games, and in The New Super Mario Bros. Wii you can pick many things up.
I'm just happy they brought back the Koopa Kids. They haven't had steady work since Yoshi's Safari. I always liked the design of Bully Koopa, myself.

Though, I wonder why a lot of the SMB 2 characters didn't make the same comeback that Birdo and the Shyguys did. Even Pokey the cactus and Ninji appeared in Super Mario World.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The figurines are actually remolds and repackages of older vynal Japanese figures (from 2005 or 06). And if you ever saw how much they went for, it's a good thing someone decided to bring them stateside. I would much rather action figures with accessories, too. but they are pretty cool stuff.
Super Mario Bros. is a franchise with many possibilities for accessories and pack-in figures. Playsets might be unrealistic, and I wonder how possible it would be to have for accessories those floating platforms and blocks and such. If I was in charge of such a collection, I'd have each series include a Mario variant (and maybe a matching Luigi variant as an exclusive), another main good guy (luigi, Yoshi, Peach), a main villian (Bowser, Koopa Kids, even Wart), and some supporting character (maybe a buddy pack of certain characters, like Chomps or boos, or a hammer brother, or Magi Koopa.