1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Sympathy for Fozzie

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Drtooth, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Fozzie Bear. Probably one of the most under appreciated muppets out there, if not in reality, then in the TV show. There he is, before a live studio audience, telling jokes, pouring his little Bear heart out, and for what? Pies in the face, tomatoes, the heckeling of Statler and Waldorf (Fozzie is the one they must heckel most). Come on! I, for one, feel sorry for him. I mean, how many times have we tried our best, only to be shot down (this happens quite a lot in art school). And he'd never quit comedy as a result. Even if he did, the spotlight would becon him back. So come on, even if you don't think his jokes are funny, laugh! Strain tears, blow out your vocal cords. Just give him the respect he deserves. I am well aware he is a character!
  2. muppet_fan_1

muppet_fan_1 Member

I gotta say, I agree. Fozzie desrves way much more repect than he gets. Of course, then agian, a lot of Muppets are the same way. Maybe not AS in need of respect, but in need of it none the less.
  3. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

I think what you don't reilise is the fact that Fozzie continuse to keep going out on stage dispite all the critisism and hackling he gets each time is the reason why we love him so much. He remanes a symble of determination twoards a goal which to many others seems imposible.
  4. muppet_fan_1

muppet_fan_1 Member

I see that, I really do. I have to give credit to the guy for having such guts, but all I'm saying is, if we're to give sympathy for one Muppet because his or her braveness and guts aren't being shown, we should give it to all of the Muppets that have those same qualities.
  5. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

I love Fozzie, and I'm glad he keeps trying....but sometimes I just want to give him a big hug. A bear hug. And then I realize he's mostly naked, and I get uncomfortable, and slowly back away.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn
  6. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

When used properly, Fozzie is a marvelous character (there can be times when he's used very poorly too but we'll leave that for another time right now).

Not only has he become underappreciated, but have you noticed how many times his name has been misspelled as "Fozzy" by people who should know better - i've seen this mistake in press releases and official material. Horrible, just, horrible.
  7. muppet_fan_1

muppet_fan_1 Member

I completley agree. Those who continue to mispell his name deserve to be kicked! in the knee! and then you run away!:mad:
  8. matleo

matleo Active Member

Aside from his determination, another wonderful part of Fozzie's character is that there is no is who is more loyal to Kermit as a friend. There's really a great strength in the character on a number of levels that makes him so loveable. Fozzie definaily sits amongst my favorite characters!!

--Matt
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly! People who do things like this seldom get any respect. I just posted this because Fozzie's my fave.
  10. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

I just wanted to say that I also miss the Kermit/Fozzie friendship--that may be the hardest loss to BEAR (get it? wocka wocka!) that's come over the last decade or so. Fozzie has sort of become a peripheral character, and it's to the point now where Rizzo and even Pepe and Bobo :mad: have more lines than he does.

I miss Fozzie. Which brings me back to my earlier thought that I want to give him a big hug. :(

Quinnnnnnnnn
  11. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

That Fabulously Furry Fuzzy Funny Man, Mr. Fozzie Bear!

Hiya, all!!

WOW! I didn't realize my fave Muppet had such a following! I thought after all these years of him being shoved in the background and given such small lines that folks had forgot about him, what with all the Pepe talk and such. I'm happy to see I'm NOT alone (and hopefully none of my relatives will come from space to find me).

I think that Fozzie fits along the lines of the reason we love Charlie Brown, a failure at every attempt and funny doing it. The individual who refuses to give in to cut-downs and failure to strive to be better at his craft, only to fall on his face again; but, nevertheless, continuing to try. I think he's a great role model for us all!

NEVER GIVE UP!

And I think, though it hurts his feelings to be heckled or booed, Fozzie uses that moment as an opportunity to learn what works and what doesn't, and as inspiration to actually TRY HARDER.

In my opinion, Fozzie has succeeded far beyond his own expectations, but because he is so mild-mannered, he doesn't even realize it.

His heart is big and you can tell from all the shows that he loves his friends. Some of the sweetest moments with the Muppets usually involves him...especially the saddest part of "Saying Goodbye" in TMTM when he's singing and his friends encircle his head, representing 'this is the thought in the bear's mind at this point...his friends, those who he is "saying goodbye" to and who he will miss terribly.'

I think in the past few movies he's been given horrible lines and it has caused him to not seem as intelligent as he was on the Muppet Show or in the original movies, but that is due mainly in part (I'm sure) to the absence of Oz.

I know folks get sick of me whining about this, but MAN! wouldn't I have LOVED to have had the chance during the MuppetFest fan thingy they did when they allowed people up on stage to play with Muppets and get in front of a TV camera to see how they do that stuff, and then the guy brought out Fozzie Bear!! I jumped 4 feet in the air, but didn't want to seem mean or rude by shouting or begging, and now I realize I should have as the guy threw out a rag into the audience and some girl got it who got to play with Fozzie...THE FOZZIE!! I'm jealous, however happy that she now has a great memory to last her a lifetime.

I hope we see more of Fozzie in the future.

Here's to Fozzy, Fonzie, Fozzi3, and FOZZIE!!
    WOCKA WOCKA!!

FOZ :D
  12. Salmoto

Salmoto New Member

Well, all this suff rings true to me, but I think Fozzie isn't the person most heckled by Statler and Waldorf. That title belongs to Gonzo. Fozzie's just the only one who lets the two old geezers get under his skin. Kermit ignores them, and Gonzo doesn't care a thing about their snide remarks.
  13. Fozzie Bear

I think Fozzie takes what StatnWaldorf say to him to heart because he has such a big heart, and cares what folks think about him.

Sometimes, I'm like that; generally, though, i let it be water off the duck's back.

Even if I'm a bear.

FOZ
  14. Splurge

Splurge Member

I got down off a duck's back. :D
  15. Splurge

Splurge Member

I feel sympathy for Fozzie when he's being heckled by Statler and Waldorf, or when he tries desperately to be hip and show he's got rhythm. I feel little to no sympathy for him, however, when he picks his nose for a cheap laugh.
  16. Salmoto

Salmoto New Member

Well, I still insist that becuase of Statler and Waldorf interfering in Gonzo's acts, Gonzo got badly hurt many times. Granted, Gonzo likes getting hurt, but still it's not comparable to Fozzie's feelings getting hurt.

I like the fuzzy brown bear, I really do, but the poor guy needs to get a little more thick skined .I mean, even his friends say bad things about his act.
  17. Fozzie Bear

He doesn't need thicker skin, just better writers. I have the same problem.

Of course, the bad thing is: I'm my own writer. Good Grief!

FOZ
  18. Salmoto

Salmoto New Member

The whole point is that Fozzie's act is SUPPOSED to be bad. Fozzie is supposed to be the amateur of the Muppet Show, and he's still learning how to keep a beat and tell a joke that won't reduce the crowd to humorless blobs. But really, he's the only memeber of that show that if he gets booed enough, he'll stop dead in his tracks and walk offstage. He's tenacious though, even when it seems like everyone's given up on him, he goes onstage again and keeps trying, eventually he got to be up there with Milton Bearle.

Ok, um....
  19. Splurge

Splurge Member

Personally, I'm not sure I would like it if he got more thick skinned. I'm not sure I would enjoy him when he would react when being treated hostile by the audience.
  20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie should join a Union which allows him to throw vegetables back at the audience...and then RUN LIKE HECK!!

That's what I do!

FOZ