Talkin' Mouthplates Here

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
I was wondering if the more experienced among us can help me with mouthplate design.

Even after reading the Foam Book and The PuppetGuide website descriptions, I'm still a little confused as to how to build the mouthplate of a traditional muppet like Grover or Elmo.

BorkBork refers to using gasket rubber and eventually going with a different type, but not exactly how he uses it.

I'm sure it's just me as the website, the book and this forum have been excellent sources of info.

Any help to clarify would be appreciated.

BorkBork

Reaction score
You can use any material you like. Some use cardboard. Some use gasket rubber.

Just make them the shape you want, upper and lower. Then you hinge them with Duct tape, or gaffertape. Apply whatever material you want inside the mouth, i use felt.

Then you may want to make some sort of "handle" on them for your hands. You can make finger tubes, just as the foam book tells you.

You can also buy David Pannabeckers video, Creating Custom Puppets. get it here .

Good Luck

/Anders

video567

Reaction score
hey good info here. ive used hard cardboard for my 2 puppets but i was thinking of buing balsa wood. the one used to make models and such and making it out of that. maybe other people can offer more ideas?

BorkBork

Reaction score
that is a good idea. it's also very easy so saw in that material.

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
Sorry...perhaps I wasn't clear.

It's not so much the materials, it's how they're attached. How is the gaffer tape used to make a hinge. Is it looped through slits in the jaw flaps, wraps around width wise or something else.

I already know what I'm going to use. My question is about the mechanics of it.

:confused: and :concern:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Are you refering to a foam puppet or a puppet made of fleece or felt?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I know we are not supposed to be talking materials, but Coroplast (Corregated plastic - the stuff real estate and election signs are usually made from) is great for wide-mouth puppets. It's light and at $20 sheet will last through a dozen or more puppets. The only disadvantage is that it is not flexible, but's great for puppets with big mouths you if you can't find gasket rubber.

You can usually find coroplast at art supply stores (Loomis & Toles carries it in Canada - I am not sure about the US) or signage shops will often give you scraps for free if you ask.

Cheers!

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Are you refering to a foam puppet or a puppet made of fleece or felt?
While I may cover a puppet in felt or fleece, I prefer to stick with foam rubber and plastics for construction. My current project is made of half inch neoprene foam. It's going to look something like a cross between Oscar the Grouch and Elmo if all works out well.

Anyone got any ideas on mouthplate building?

:eek:

Please Help!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Foob,

Seeing as it will be inbetween Oscar and Elmo's size, I would go with Buck-Beavers method.

Once you have the material, Determine what size you want your mouth to be.

Cut out two semi circles, Then use Ander's method to attach them together.
Duct tape the straight ends of the semi circle together, Now you should have a basic mouth.

Then you can cover it and attach it to your Puppet's head.

Hope that helped !

BorkBork

Reaction score
Buck Beaver

, by the way, buck, the puppet you sent hasn't reached me yet...did it come back to you?:smirk: