1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Tartakovsky directing Dark Crystal sequel

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Laszlo, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

"The Jim Henson Co. has set Genndy Tartakovsky to direct "Power of the Dark Crystal," sequel to 1982 fantasy film "The Dark Crystal."
    Tartakovsky, who created the animated series hits "Samurai Jack," "Dexter's Laboratory" and "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," will involve his Orphanage Animation Studios to take the lead on the CG animation elements for the puppet-driven film.

Film becomes a co-production of Henson and the Orphanage. Lisa HensonLisa Henson, co-CEO of the Jim Henson Co., will produce with Orphanage chairman Scott Stewart. Brian Froud has returned to design the new characters.

Pic's development has so far been funded by Henson. Overseas distribution will be sold during the Berlin Film Festival by Odyssey Entertainment; Henson will secure a domestic distributor by the time the film begins production in late summer.

Annette Duffy and David Odell penned the script.

Set hundreds of years after the first pic, sequel follows a mysterious girl made of fire who steals a shard of the crystal in hopes of reigniting the dying sun.

"The original 'Dark Crystal' was the pinnacle of puppetry; they created characters that were as believable as the ones you see in animated films," Tartakovsky said. Tartakovsky said that unlike in the pricey original film, for which otherworldly sets were built, the puppets this time around will operate amid a CGI backdrop.

"There is a limited budget here, and this will be more artsy, in a 'Sin City' fashion, with characters performing over greenscreen and great backgrounds behind it," he said.

Brian Henson, Ralph Kamp and Louise Goodsill will exec produce.
    Wed., Feb. 1, 2006, Los Angeles"
  2. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Active Member

Great news! :D
  3. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

should be fun
  4. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

hmmm

well, now i don't know what to think. I like Tarks directing style, and what he's produced so far. just seems odd in a way. but he is good, so hopefully he can do some neat stuff with it.

i think the challenge for this film is not in CGI and animation/puppetry. It's going to be retaining the soul of it. TDC had so much history and thought into, that went beyond the film, so its more then just using methods of CGI/green screen on limited budgets to get it done.

sorry I remain a skeptic (SkEPTyK) but TDC was so original and unique it is going to be hard for anything to come close to what it offered. plus, i just can't shake this but, Jim never wanted to do a sequel. So, on those merits alone, it is still odd.:confused:

oh well, time will tell.
  5. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

That is great news. Genndy Tartakovsky is awesome. Clone Wars is some of the best Star Wars ever (better than the new trilogy, anyway), and I'm a huge Samurai Jack fan.
  6. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Hmmmm....Girl made of fire.

Seems pretty off-base from the original Gelfling epic, to me.
  7. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Yes, I don't know... I really hope they can get the mood of the original in this one too. CGI backgrounds? Well, can those be as realistic as actual sets?

Brian Froud is involved, so I have high hopes. :)
  8. OverUnderAround

OverUnderAround New Member

I don't think it will retain it's 'soul.' Sure they'll reproduce the characters again, and perhaps long shots will be CGI replicas of the original sets, but once they get into the story of this firegirl and the inner world she lives in, there will be no 'soul' from the original.

What concerns me is that today's world has changed. Who (besides Muppet fans) would pay 8 dollars to see a puppet movie? Not many folks would.

Frank Oz once said that; "No Muppet movie has ever really made any money. They've just barely made a profit."

Also since Brian and Lisa sold off the Muppets and don't have much puppet material to market (besides Fraggle Rock), I bet this new movie will leave the door open for sequels and possibly end up being a trilogy, if it makes a profit.
  9. OverUnderAround

OverUnderAround New Member

I bet she's hot!:o :)
  10. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

This is sounding better and better!

Aw man, I can't believe they got Genndy T. to do this!

IMO I don't think anybody should worry about the outcome of this project. All his other stuff kicks butt, and he's really into details and continuity, and the power of the characters.

Can't wait.
  11. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

12. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Galfling Waldo,

you're my hero!

Thanks!
  13. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

wow!!! sooo awsome. I just sent that link to my dad's email. That was the 1st movie my perents seen when they where dating back then! I re-call mom saying the line was looooooooooooooooooooong! :)
  14. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

This is cool considering Tartakovsky is a muppet fan also.
  15. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Dude, GW, you are the coolest for having the connections you do!!!

That picture is sooooooo amazing!!!!! Queen Kira, I just, man, that's so cool. Another year+ is gonna be a looooooooooooong time to wait!
  16. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

Am I the only one distressed that we now have TWO sticky threads on this film? How do you know where to post comments?:confused: :cry: ;)

Sigh. Anyway, I know nothing of Tartovsky--I know about Samurai Jack and the animated Clone Wars, but I've never watched them. I'm glad to hear other people saying positive things about using him for this movie.

To repeat here what I said in the other Dark Crystal thread: I'm concerned about the CGI. If they're using it to save money, it surely won't be up to the standards of huge movies like Lord of the Rings, so there's a lot of room for CGI to look bad.

But I'm optimistic about focusing on new characters. Let's hope they make them quite different from Jen and Kira (okay, "made of fire" is pretty different already!) and show them as full, intriguing, unique personalities.
  17. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

I think the CGI could work as long as they make sure it is quality work and not something along the lines of Fairies, Carebears Go to Jokealot and other unmentionables *shudders*.

Gennedy's work is really great. I just hope he can capture the sould of the work
  18. Chris Von Count

Chris Von Count New Member

This is really good news indeed!:) Man I remember watching Dark Crystal way back in the day.. of course I watch it now too since I have the video of it as well. A long wait for a sequel but no worries the wait will be worth it:excited: .

Here would be another interesting movie to make a sequel to provided you could get one of the stars back, and some of the original writers back into it as well I think Labyrinth would be awesome to see a sequel to;)

Chris
  19. SJohnson

SJohnson Member

This is Great News

This is the best news. It has always been the Jim Henson Companies style to reach out to creative people that have a unique vision. Think Brian Froud, Anthony Minghella, Michael Frith, David Bowie etc. I can’t wait to see what Tartakovsky brings to the world of the Dark Crystal.
  20. Karrion

Karrion New Member

I dunno. This whole thing makes me very nervous. Revisiting masterpieces always do. Dare I bring up SW episode one?