1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Tattooing or painting a puppet?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Goochman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Goochman Member

Has anyone ever tried to paint/tattoo/use sharpies on Antron? I'm working on a puppet of my Tattoo artist and I'm trying to figure out the best way to tattoo it. I tried shaving it down a little and using sharpies, they work just okay. I'd like to find a nicer solution. Anyone have any ideas?
  2. Walter Active Member

hmm.. did you try stencil and spray painting?? That might do the trick! But I would test it on a swatch first..
  3. Goochman Member

yeah I'm thinking I might have to, either that or make the tattoos our of felt and glue or stitch them on to the fleece
  4. Walter Active Member

hmm.. another idea I just thought of, How about press on?? Have you ever seen those plushes that have the smooth clear graphics on them?? It might not work though, since i'd imagine you'd need special equipment to produce them..
  5. Melonpool Member

They used airbrushing and stencils for the Nike MVPuppets, if that helps.
  6. Goochman Member

I got some adhesive felt last night and made a test tattoo, I think I'm going with it!
  7. TheCreatureWork Active Member

I agree with Melonpool- Airbrush is the way to go.
  8. The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Yup, I'd say airbrush too.
  9. Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

glad i stumbled upon this thread was wondering this question myself
  10. Goochman Member

Well I need to have it done by Sunday so as soon as it's finished I'll post some pics.
  11. MuppetLabsBoy Member

Sharpies are better for creating a rosy cheek or stubble, you can't really do detail on antron without it bleeding
  12. Goochman Member

So here's what I ended up doing. I used black felt and glued it to the Antron fleece.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    gonzosgirl1987 likes this.
  13. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, I got into a conversation about tattooing puppets this weekend before Avenue Q. Embroidery was a pretty good idea, as it combined both tattooing and piercing.