Tech support: help!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I've been having a few problems lately with the technical side of the forum, and I'm wondering if you can help me out:

1) I recently switched from a Yahoo to a Hotmail address, and changed my profile here accordingly. Since then, if I click on the link from the e-mail notification, and then attempt to respond to the post, I'm barred from doing it. I get a screen saying "You must register to post," but then when I fill out my screenname and password, it says, "No thread was selected." I actually have to go back and manually type in the URL (forum.muppetcentral.com) in the bar on my browser, find the message again, then hunt down the thread. That's the only way I can reply.
Why does this happen, and how can it be fixed?

2) Lately when I click on the e-mail notification, it doesn't take me to the post immediately following mine, like it used to. It usually takes me to the most recent post, which is not good when there have been two pages' worth of posts since I left and I have to hunt down where I left off. Sometimes it even deposits me at an utterly random new message in the thread. Again, what can be done about this?

3) Just now, I discovered that sometimes I get unsubscribed from threads for no reason. The thread "How to operate a Muppet" in the Classic Muppets section has had at least a dozen posts since I last posted, but I've recieved no e-mail notification about that (even though I'm still recieving notifications for other threads). Please help!

Thanks as always for all the hard work you guys do. Looking forward to your responses!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tom,

When you change your e-mail address, you have to first verify it via the new e-mail account before you can post again. Check your e-mail, click on the link in the message and let us know how it comes out.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Phil,

Right -- I got that done a while back. The e-mail notifications are coming to my Hotmail address; that's not the problem. The problem is that I'm not allowed access to post from that link.

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Web based-email

I'd drop Hotmail - heard they have too many bugs and spam..

Yahoo is OK (I have this), but you could get spammed also...

Best on the web to avoid spam: Ureach.Com or Operamail.com

Sign-up for either one of those or both - you won't be sorry!! :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wait, it's like this isn't it? It opens up a page with a little bar across the top saying Hotmail!!! I have that. You have to copy the link or else it opensu p in a page with a hotmail frame and then you loose all the Whatsitcalleds that remember your name and password on your computor.

Try opening a new page and copying the links.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tom,

It sounds like something funky may be going on with your cookies. Delete your cookies from your system (and make sure cookies are turned on in your control panel), then let me know how it goes after a few days.

Please forward me the e-mail with the link you were having trouble with and I will check it out.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
JimmyDeanDog (great name, BTW): Actually, I left Yahoo because I was getting hundreds of spam a day. Hotmail is relatively quiet for me. But...

Beau: You're right, that's why it's not working. It's opening a stupid new window in Hotmail, rather than just taking me to the page. I guess I'll have to get ANOTHER e-mail address, because Hotmail will always do this! :mad:

Phil: I'll let you know if it keeps happening.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Don't delete the cookies, it is a wast of time and effort. Just open in a new page, deleted cookies will make no one happy except maybe Cookie Monster, (We can blam him, ok?)

Bea:big_grin:regard

PS: Hotmail is quiet. I started getting a little spam after a couple of years but before that, SILENCE. (No e-mails, well some of course, I mean...) Bea:eek:regard