Television Renewals and Cancellations 2014

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Pretty big day TV wise, as the big networks have begun to pick up pilots and drop shows from their current schedule.

Here is a big list of all the cancellation and renewal news as it comes in.

Cancelled:
Community (after 5 seasons)
Revolution (after 2 seasons)
Suburagtory (after 3 seasons)
The Neighbors (after 2 seasons)
Super Fun Night, Mixology, Almost Human, Trophy Wife, Rake, Dads (after 1 season)

Looks like NBC and ABC are getting tired of having cult comedies that no one watches and FOX can't make a drama to save its life.

Renewed:
Hannibal, Agents of SHIELD, The Middle, The Goldbergs, Parks and Recreation

I was only trying to list shows that were on the bubble, not obvious renewals like NCIS or The Big Bang Theory.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Pretty big day TV wise, as the big networks have begun to pick up pilots and drop shows from their current schedule.

Here is a big list of all the cancellation and renewal news as it comes in.

Cancelled:
Community (after 5 seasons)
Revolution (after 2 seasons)
Suburagtory (after 3 seasons)
The Neighbors (after 2 seasons)
Super Fun Night, Mixology, Almost Human, Trophy Wife, Rake, Dads (after 1 season)

ABC can suck it. All I'm saying. Their crappy little midseason shows killed the chance of any of their cult shows to flourish. The Neighbors shouldn't have been cancelled, and it's their fault for dumping it on Friday Nights after Tim Allen's garbage TV show.

And seriously. NBC cancelling Community? Oh yeah, they have such BIIIIG hits like... uh... that stupid singing competition. TV does NOT want you to watch it anymore.

At least the Goldburgs is getting renewed. :sigh:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
ABC can suck it. All I'm saying. Their crappy little midseason shows killed the chance of any of their cult shows to flourish. The Neighbors shouldn't have been cancelled, and it's their fault for dumping it on Friday Nights after Tim Allen's garbage TV show.

And seriously. NBC cancelling Community? Oh yeah, they have such BIIIIG hits like... uh... that stupid singing competition. TV does NOT want you to watch it anymore.

At least the Goldburgs is getting renewed. :sigh:
They should put nothing, but Shark Tank after Last Man Standing, because basically all shows after it at 8:30 pm gets cancelled (Man Up, Work It, Cougar Town, Malibu Country, The Neighbors) it sucks! But, at least The Neighbors got the last laugh, "Well, here we are, nobody thought we'd make it this far." --- Larry Bird. Anyways, glad The Goldbergs got renewed, it's a really awesome show (I'm also waiting for an episode that has something to do with the muppets).

Drtooth

Reaction score
And at least they've stuck to their guns with SHIELD. The show started off slow and became great once they tied into the Thor and Captain America. Especially Captain America. It really was given a hard time for being some sort of overly built up "disappointment" (to say the least, they...uh... did know that SHIELD was a spy organization, right?), especially since it was beat out in the ratings by the same dreadful NCIS show with the same lame war propaganda that everyone else got sick of in 2009. SHIELD at least had a good level of writing. NCIS is unremarkable on every level.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm surprised that Last Man Standing is popular enough to get renewed (or maybe just not get canceled as of yet). Who is the audience for that show? White men threatened by anyone who's not a white man?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I just started watching Suburgatory recently; it's an all right show, so I'm not completely sad it's cancelled.

Community, upset, but shouldn't be surprised.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm surprised that Last Man Standing is popular enough to get renewed (or maybe just not get canceled as of yet). Who is the audience for that show? White men threatened by anyone who's not a white man?
That show is just the absolute worst. I mean, According to Jim has been dethroned it absolute awfulness. If this was meant to be a modern All in the Family, it failed worse than a cartoon henchman. The characters are all strawmen, the liberals look like whiny immature slackers and all conservatives look like arrogant, stubborn jerks. If it's meant to heal this country's poisonous political views, it's like saying that the best way to fix a broken leg is to hit it with a hammer. Every character is immensely unlikable. Somehow, it's like American Dad with unsympathetic characters played incredibly straight with all the jokes and fun removed. And they managed to make Tim Allen completely detestable. And I'll admit, he's a very likable guy. We didn't have 3 of those Santa Clause movies because audiences hated him.

I just started watching Suburgatory recently; it's an all right show, so I'm not completely sad it's cancelled.

Community, upset, but shouldn't be surprised.
Suburgatory really should have a fourth season, but I don't see it really needing to go further than that, and I LOVE the show. I almost wouldn't mind it being canceled now, if it wasn't for the reason it's being cancelled. It lost a huge chunk of ratings for being banished to mid-season replacement because of that GAWD awful baseball series that no one freaking liked! I'm as ticked off about that as Raising Hope getting screwed by the network because of Dads having the cushy Tuesday spot. Which NO ONE liked and got cancelled very quickly.

As for Community, I agree. No one should be surprised...but what the heck does NBC have anyway? I'm glad for Parks and Rec, but Community has the same sized following and the same ratings. Why keep one cult show, and cancel the other? Why is the laughing stock of all the networks all the sudden so choosey? People liked Community, which is more than I can say for any other crappy sitcom you've tried since The Office ended.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm surprised Grimm is still around, too. I was almost certain that Once Upon a Time would trounce it in the ratings.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Except they were never opposite each other.

Personally, I find Grimm to be a better show. Among other things, it managed to have plot lines inspired by very obscure fairy tale works. I just can't take Once Upon a Time seriously. They insist on making them the Disney versions of the characters and making them dark and edgy while ignoring the actual dark and edgy content from the originals. And then it just turned into some sort of crossover fanfic fruit salad of "oh who can we shove into the story?" I wonder. Is that Alice in Wonderland spinoff gone? I actually liked the idea of Alice being in a mental institution, but they ruined it with her being in love with the Genie and having Jafar wanna destroy her... there's a LOT of potential for dark and edgy Alice in Wonderland (a little overfarmed, perhaps) and they just blew through it with fanficy nonsense.

It's like if they had a Little Red Riding Hood spinoff and the villain wasn't the Big Bad Wolf, but rather a darker interpretation of Cruella Deville jealous of Red's romantic relationship with Mowgli.

But Grimm seems to be chugging along with a cult fanbase. I actually stopped watching because it was opposite Raising Hope.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
As for Community, I agree. No one should be surprised...but what the heck does NBC have anyway? I'm glad for Parks and Rec, but Community has the same sized following and the same ratings. Why keep one cult show, and cancel the other? Why is the laughing stock of all the networks all the sudden so choosey? People liked Community, which is more than I can say for any other crappy sitcom you've tried since The Office ended.

I think (and this is just pure speculation on my part) that NBC chose Parks over Community for two reasons not related to ratings. One, Michael Schur and his staff are probably much easier to work with than Dan Harmon and his staff and two, NBC doesn't want to cut Amy Poehler loose. I know she's got at least one pilot from her production company on the NBC pilot schedule for this fall, and NBC probably doesn't want her taking shows to ABC or anywhere else.