Telly and Snuffy

Kerri

Reaction score
question re: Telly and Snuffy

I'm usually over on the classic Sesame Street forum when I can get online, so I'm lost in a cloud... but, am I to infer, then, that the same man that puppeteers Telly also does Snuffy?! (Martin Robinson?)

BEAR

Reaction score
Kerri said:
I'm usually over on the classic Sesame Street forum when I can get online, so I'm lost in a cloud... but, am I to infer, then, that the same man that puppeteers Telly also does Snuffy?! (Martin Robinson?)

That's right. Although you may be more familiar with the original Snuffy voiced by Jerry Nelson and original Telly voiced by Brian Mehle (sp?). Then later (in the 80s) Robinson took over both roles.

Kerri

Reaction score
aha!

I feel like such a dork now, cause I actually got to meet him today and didn't know he was also Snuffy! You're right, I'm still used to original Snuffy, back when he was just a figment of Big Bird's imagination! I was born in '68 and watched the show I"m sure until I was at least 10... and then over the years here and there I caught shows.

My husband built a set for Little Shop of Horrors as put on by the New Canaan High School here in Connecticut, and they had rented the plant ("Audrey ll") puppets from Marty, which he'd made. He'd come into the school to teach the kids how to operate said puppets... and today my husband was to bring the vines back to Marty... well he was nice enough after talking numerous times with my husband to invite him to bring me and our 1 1/2 year old along, said he had a Telly monster and would do a little performance for Gina.

He was just so, so cool, interesting, fun as anything... it was 95 degrees here today and he was nice enough to show us around, talk to us, entertain our daughter... what a great guy!!! And TALENTED!!!!!

Anyway, here's a link to my "photobucket" site if you'de like to see the pictures we took with him today! :smile:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/KerriD05/18%20July%202006/?action=view&current=PatGinaTellyMarty2.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
I can only think of twice when Telly and Snuffy were together, and they were both in the early days of Snuffy being visable to the other adults and Muppets. The first one was just a few weeks after the episode when the adults all met Snuffy in 1985. Telly was in the arbor area and had wrote a poem about Snuffleupagus, and at the end of his poem Snuffy came out and took a bow. Another time was in 1986 or 1987 I didn't actually see them together but they interacted. Big Bird, Snuffy and Telly were all playing in Big Bird's room and David was walking down the street from behind Big Bird's walls and Big Bird and Snuffy wanted to play catch, but they didn't have a ball, and Snuffy said something like "I know, lets use Telly for a ball" and David yelled at them from behind the wall and said "You will NOT use Telly for a ball!, just hold on a minute" then a few minutes later David came back with a red rubber ball for them to use and handed it to Big Bird from over the wall.

Mistoffelees

Reaction score
Marty is quite an amazing and generous guy. I had the pleasure of meeting him during Little Shop's run both in FL and NYC

BEAR

Reaction score
SesameStreetFan said:
I can only think of twice when Telly and Snuffy were together, and they were both in the early days of Snuffy being visable to the other adults and Muppets. The first one was just a few weeks after the episode when the adults all met Snuffy in 1985. Telly was in the arbor area and had wrote a poem about Snuffleupagus, and at the end of his poem Snuffy came out and took a bow. Another time was in 1986 or 1987 I didn't actually see them together but they interacted. Big Bird, Snuffy and Telly were all playing in Big Bird's room and David was walking down the street from behind Big Bird's walls and Big Bird and Snuffy wanted to play catch, but they didn't have a ball, and Snuffy said something like "I know, lets use Telly for a ball" and David yelled at them from behind the wall and said "You will NOT use Telly for a ball!, just hold on a minute" then a few minutes later David came back with a red rubber ball for them to use and handed it to Big Bird from over the wall.

That's funny. I can just hear David saying that. "You will NOT use Telly for a ball!"

SSLFan

Reaction score
In my opinion...

If you haven't noticed, in my opinion, it seems the only way that charcthers with the same performer interact is in stage shows or on CD releases. Iv'e really noticed in the stage shows. :sympathy: