Telly as Monster on the Spot - thoughts?

DTF

Reaction score
I don't have time for much, but thought I'd ask what you would think about more of Telly as the intrepid reporter in Kermit's place, since Kermit now seems to be a product of Disney.

As a big sports fan, I found myself comparing their styles - at least from what I remember of Kermit. And, I found Telly to be quite fun, though he has a different delivery - in fact, from my POV, they'd team up very nicely, Kermit as the play-by-play man and Telly as the color commentator.

Kermit had a very calm style, IIRC, he might get a little excited but little ever seemed to rattle him. A good comparison might be, if you've ever heard him, Vin Scully, the Dodgers and NBC Game of the Week announcer. (And, he did have his famous calls - like on Kirk Gibson's home run off the bench in '88's Series "I can't believe what I just saw." But, even then he was very composed.) Whereaas Telly is more emotional, his reporting in the episode where Curly Bear tries porridge reminded me of a cross between the reporter in that famous broadcast of the Hindenberg crash ("Oh, the humanity!") and the excited Keith Jackson on college football games. He was certainly informative, but he showed more passion than some. (And if you talk about famous calls, I can see him doing Russ Hodges' "THe Giants win the pennant!" call after Bobby Thomson's 1951 pennant-winning home run.)

So, would you want to see more Monster on the Spot as a sort of up-to-date "Muppet news flash" - or, has Telly been in that position often before, and this was the first time I saw it? I liked Telly being used as a broadcaster.

salemfan

Reaction score
Telly was in that position before in a segment of a season 34 episode entitled, "Monster on the Spot/Play of the Day." I would love to see Kermit again, but Sesame Workshop no longer owns the rights to him, so they might as well do some Telly monster, "Monster on the Spot" stuff.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, Telly did do that Monster on the Spot thing recently in the ep where he found out Curly Bear doesn't like porrige. Maybe they'll do more of those.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I somehow seem to recall him doing skits like this in the 80's, but my mind is foggy.

astrotrain

Reaction score
In a Kermit State of mind..

I saw this the first time today, and I was not really impressed.

I rather have Kermit with the News Flash. It was much more original
and comical then watching the baby bear eat pourage.

"There was an old man who lived in a glove, and if you bothered him
he'd give you a SHOVE!... now move it Frog!"
-Kermit the Frog (Old Lady in the Shoe Report)

salemfan

Reaction score
Yeah, if Sesame Workshop had the money, maybe they could use Kermit as the reporter again.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I agree. Telly's "Monster on the Spot" was good, but I much preferred Kermit's News Flashes. Too bad they can't use them as much anymore.

astrotrain

Reaction score
News Flash Skits

Anoyone know where to find these classic gems with Kermit?

"Hey look its a Fog!.... Hey Maaaa!!!"
-Children from the Show (Sesame Street News Flash)

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
DTF said:
I don't have time for much, but thought I'd ask what you would think about more of Telly as the intrepid reporter in Kermit's place, since Kermit now seems to be a product of Disney.

Oh my word!! They cant use Kermit on Sesame Street! It really is just a case of "Mine" with the Muppets now isnt it?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
We don't know yet; I haven't heard anything about using Kermit on SS. We have to wait and see what happens.

*keeps fingers crossed*