Telly's Pogo Stick Accident: my thoughts

ISNorden

Reaction score
1. L is for Local Lunatic: It seems the "neatnik program scheduler" struck again at our PBS station: four consecutive episodes (not all from the same season) have had consecutive Letters of the Day. *hums a few bars of the Twilight Zone theme*

2. One Day Only: The Trash Gordon ending has Gordon forming an "L" and an "11" with his hair-grooming equipment (in addition to displaying them onscreen as usual). This is one adventure that Sesame Workshop isn't likely to recycle: I've seen otherwise identical Trash Gordon clips used for different Things of the Day. (Do the producers leave space for Gordon to dub the letter/number in each time?)

3. Retro moment #1: A Dragnet parody film (with a girl and her brother teaching L-words) included snippets of the "Ladybugs' Picnic" song on the boy's tape recorder.

4. Retro moment #2: When Telly's fear of falling keeps him from getting back on the pogo stick, one of the Muppets who encourages him is Humpty Dumpty (who looks exactly as he did in Kermit's news flash, although the king's horses and men have had makeovers).

5. Elmo's World: I'd never seen the "Hands" version, but it was decent as EW segments go. (Believe it or not, this one NEVER mentions birthday cakes...that's a first!)

6. Overall: Typical Season 35 fare, from what I've seen of the reruns...above average compared to other seasons' new material, but it still ranks below "The Cute and Not-so-Fuzzy Four" in my opinion.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I like the part where Grover was talking to that little girl about trying again and he asked "What do you do when you fall off your bike?", and she goes "I don't fell off my bike-I have training wheels" and Grover goes "oh" with the dumbfounded look on his face. That was funny stuff.

ISNorden

Reaction score
More natural talk from kids...that's one of the great things about Sesame Street that needs to be kept. Grover's conversation may not be on a par with Kermit's alphabet song being "ruined" by a Cookie Monster fanatic, but it's still a good job as kids' programming goes.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I like the part where Grover was talking to that little girl about trying again and he asked "What do you do when you fall off your bike?", and she goes "I don't fell off my bike-I have training wheels" and Grover goes "oh" with the dumbfounded look on his face. That was funny stuff.
hahah that was classic!! that little girl was a snotty brat ahaha!
and was it just me or was some of the stuff in the telly falls off his pogo stick episode a bit sexualy laced? or maybe my friends and I are just pervs epp!:smirk:

Convincing John

Reaction score
ISNorden said:
More natural talk from kids...that's one of the great things about Sesame Street that needs to be kept. Grover's conversation may not be on a par with Kermit's alphabet song being "ruined" by a Cookie Monster fanatic, but it's still a good job as kids' programming goes.
I remember a hilarious sketch from years ago with Ernie and a little girl talking about body parts.

They're doing a little Q&A "What do you do with your eyes?", etc. then Ernie asks the girl something about hands. Out of nowhere, the girl says "I scratch myself a lot." Ernie just looks up and says "Oh yeah?" As if she just said "It's partly cloudy out today." He continues on with the Q&A "Where's your nose?" etc.

What I think of is how Jim had to think on his feet to save the take. I could just imagine him thinking "Uh oh. This kid might be getting chicken pox. Ernie might have to go to the dry cleaners before we film with the next kid.":wink:

Spontaneous kid and Muppet moments are always fun.

Convincing John