Thailand willfully steals Disney shot for shot

RedPiggy

Reaction score
LOL, yeah, I saw that last night ... Simba and Beast's love child. *shudders*

Drtooth

Reaction score
... (still looks better than Gnomeo and Juliet... ducks)

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Here's an article about it. The companies who produced it, however, were not able to be found using web searches, so they can't really be traced. I can't help but think this is fake. I mean, there's no way on Earth they could've gotten away a literal shot-for-shot remake of it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't help but think this is fake. I mean, there's no way on Earth they could've gotten away a literal shot-for-shot remake of it.
By that logic, there wouldn't be bootlegged figures made out of makeshift molds of official ones. They shouldn't be able to get away with this, and now that you mention it, it could also be a fake or a prank (6 months, and 20 days too late). However, there is some odd problem with international copyright law, and LOTS of these kind of rip offs get made. Just never shot for shot. Kinda like how in certain other countries, they sell bootlegged copies of our movies and sell bootlegged CD's. They're just small untraceable companies that sometimes get caught.

So... bringing that point up, if it is indeed fake, it's a very good fake for something faking something good into a bad one. Though, you gotta admit...

Animation, especially CGI, is getting cheaper and cheaper to produce look at this ugly Alice in Wonderland trailer Still can't tell if it was a student project or an actual thing. So it really wouldn't take all that much. A few computers... you could do it out of your home.

And there is an unfortunate blind spot when it comes to Asian copyright. India (or somewhere else, I forget) has its own Spider-Man (and others... I can't remember off the top of my head) movies... very obscure, so no one can trace them. Then of course the unlicensed Hong Kong publications of certain Japanese comics (some American ones too)... there's actually a nice little coffee table book called "Hong Kong Comics" I suggest tracking down at a library or something. And I swear I saw a package of gross little fish snacks from China with Elmer Fudd on it. And he's not supposed to be.

So, the theories are it could be a fake/stunt... or it could very well be a blind spot copyright issue made by a small studio (like someone's basement) to sell in crummy stores.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It seems this company has a website, I can't understand what on earth it says but guess who's all over the homepage?

http://www.happy2doo.com/

It also seems there's another Disney knock-off they have to offer. :eek:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was wondering who'd post this. No one will be fooled by this, of course. Chinese and Thailand piracy is a longtime issue that the entertainment industry has been unable to correct. They tend to leave it up to the US government to correct because there's little else that can be done. Take a trip down to the Chinatown area in any major city and you'll see many blatant bootlegs and counterfeit items. There are several fake action figure packs at every store in the area (except mine) and I've thought of buying one of them for myself due to its sheer cheesiness. They have packs that include Mr. Incredible, Batman, Spider-Man, Yugioh and a Power Ranger all in one nine-dollar case! They look fairly legit, but I'm sure they're made of lead with an asbestos filling.

To be honest, I don't mind a quality bootleg item as long as it's not competing with an existing product and only made in small quantities. That used to be the only way to get music mixes back in the 80's and 90's before the internet took care of that need. I do prefer to buy directly from the artist or company, but being a fanatic of certain things sometimes what's available isn't enough!

I wish more companies would find ways to release more burn-on-demand and authorized custom items. It would be nice to assemle my own CD of classic Muppet music mixes from an official online source or select a classic Muppet art print for a poster rather than the icky modern photoshopped pieces that are out there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was wondering who'd post this. No one will be fooled by this, of course. Chinese and Thailand piracy is a longtime issue that the entertainment industry has been unable to correct. They tend to leave it up to the US government to correct because there's little else that can be done. Take a trip down to the Chinatown area in any major city and you'll see many blatant bootlegs and counterfeit items. There are several fake action figure packs at every store in the area (except mine) and I've thought of buying one of them for myself due to its sheer cheesiness. They have packs that include Mr. Incredible, Batman, Spider-Man, Yugioh and a Power Ranger all in one nine-dollar case! They look fairly legit, but I'm sure they're made of lead with an asbestos filling.

To be honest, I don't mind a quality bootleg item as long as it's not competing with an existing product and only made in small quantities. That used to be the only way to get music mixes back in the 80's and 90's before the internet took care of that need. I do prefer to buy directly from the artist or company, but being a fanatic of certain things sometimes what's available isn't enough!
That's what really bugs me, again I say copyright blindspot. Yet, for a company that once tried to shut down a daycare center for an unlicensed Disney character mural it seems insane that they wouldn't even try to get them for something that is indeed stealing willfully for profit. That's the reason we even have the copyright law. Somehow, it seems like a shark passing up a large, meaty guy and swimming over to chew on a lamprey.

As for bootlegged items, well.... you just may be right about the lead paint. I don't trust those things. They are made in utter sweatshops and I've heard massive horror stories about them. They're not even all that fun, other than the initial "Hubba WHA?" of seeing them in stores. The materials they are made of are drastically inferior. There are some GOOD bootlegs out there that could have almost anyone fooled, but I only see the Spader-Man/ poorly painted Yu-Gi-Oh things from time to time. Though I was almost intrigued to buy a Caucasian Chef from South Park sticker... and some actually not that crummy looking Doraemon and Shin -chan stuff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm wondering if they're so cheap they'd actually make these region zero. I wouldn't put it past them. Though... if they know what's good for them, it'll be region like 52 that they can only play there.