THAT'S how it ends?!?! REALLY?!?!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like last episodes, though sometimes they can go too far, such as The Mary Tyler Moore Show cast getting fired, the cast of Dinosaurs facing extinction, and How I Met Your Mother trying a bit too hard to be sad in the last episode (and wasn't it said that the gang never missed Robots vs. Wrestlers? I thought it meant all of them, not all but Robin).
That's the nail on the head right there. They tried waaay too hard to shove as much drama into the thing as possible, while trying to make the entire series a red herring. The show is no stranger to red herrings, but those always have a great payoff. This one didn't. Seemed like a cheap shot to get Ted and Robin together after all, another thing that completely erases every moment of heartwarming the series was about. The reveal wasn't as heartwarming as they thought it would be. It just served to tick the audience off.

The Amazing World of Gumball's 2nd season finale reminded me so much of Seinfeld. Pretty much everything the family did came back to bite them hard. Of course, it's getting a 3rd season, but I like those Series Fauxnales where they give it just enough closure to make it feel like a final episode.
When I read the title "finale," I got so depressed, thinking they junked the series. But it was a very good ending. Which brings me to a strange thought. Cartoons are getting better finales than live action adult television shows. Closure in cartoons was rare. I mean, Teddy Ruxpin had Tweeg run off and join his father as a surfer. The ONLY thing that ever closed off an 80's cartoon, while the Kidd Video gang and Captain N never got back to Earth (ticks me off that Cyberchase will probably end that way). Oh, wait... then there's Galaxy High which at least had end of series awareness. Not really an ending, but they knew that a second season wasn't gonna happen.

My favorite cartoon series ending has to be Batman: Brave and the Bold, though. Batmite getting ticked off at the lighter version of Batman, and trying to screw it up, then getting depressed when the show actually ends... and the OH CRAP moment when he realizes he won't fit into any other continuity? Brilliant.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I know that the ending of the finale (well, the part with the kids, we never see them and future Ted at the same time) was filmed during the second season. I wonder if the creators had planned on having Robin marry Barney at that point and didn't want to not use the ending.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I don't get why people are complaining about it! Longtime HIMYM fan here, and I thought it was a perfect ending, very emotional and sad, but it ended heartfelt and heartwarming.

(Warning: Spoilers)

Are we really surprised about Ted and Robin? That thing has been going on for years. The only thing that got me annoyed is the amount of time they spent on the wedding and in the last episode we find out they got divorced. Not cool.
This is a complaint I had for years: They should've introduced the "mother" in season four or five and had her as a regular character for a while, it's dumb they wasted nine seasons just to find out how he met her.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's why it was a huge screw you to me. The show is called "How I Met Your Mother." Not "How I Met Your Mother, but it doesn't matter since she's dead and I'm going to wind up with Robin anyway."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I felt like this last episode was the first time the show wasn't perfect, which gets me wondering: Is it a bad thing if a show doesn't jump the shark until the final episode?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wait... if they had a different ending in mind... who made them kill the mother off?

Anyway, supposedly Raising Hope was cancelled (unless I misheard it) and the last episode was on last night. It kinda... well.. just ends. It had a sweet conclusion, but it just ends.

And THAT was a better ending.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
They had a different ending planned, but decided last minute to kill her off? Talk about stupid. I'm frustrated to hear this wasn't their plan four+ seasons ago.

Did they even think about the finale before filming any of season nine? They spent the whole season focused on this wedding (they get divorced) Ted moving to Chicago (doesn't happen) and the mother (she dies). Like, seriously, it's as if they didn't even plan the ending before writing the last season.

I don't have many problems with the finale, but much of my complaints is the lead-up this entire season. They spent too much time on that wedding, but they might have run out of ideas since the wedding was really supposed to be last season and the eighth season was to be the last season. I have no idea why they went this route.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Did they even think about the finale before filming any of season nine? They spent the whole season focused on this wedding (they get divorced) Ted moving to Chicago (doesn't happen) and the mother (she dies). Like, seriously, it's as if they didn't even plan the ending before writing the last season.
HIMYM really had a lot of red herrings the last few seasons. I really liked this season where Lilly was constantly seen with a drink, only to mask the fact she was pregnant again by not disclosing that they weren't even alcoholic (though it did make it a bit confusing)... then there was the whole "I met your mother the day of the wedding," foreshadowing Punchy's wedding, but revealing it was Barney's.

But making the entire wedding a Red herring, erasing heartwarming character development in the process... nay, to make the entire series a red herring... that's a HUGE middle finger to the audience. Especially to those who endured the entire season of filler episodes. I kid you not, one was straight out of an anime (the slap training one). A clip show wouldn't have been as annoying. They spent that many episodes building up to the wedding, and the wedding party lasted 2 minutes because they had to unravel the thing they built up for 3 seasons!

I hope the DVD ending is better.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Once we're at it, can I just say the ending to Seinfeld was dumb? That's the best they got? Carting them off to jail becuase they didn't help a guy getting mugged? Awful ending, but I loved the rest of the series.