The “What did you do today?” thread

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Feel a bit surreal. On my overnight shift tonight my client died. Wasn't a shock, but actually holding a stranger's hand and singing to her as she took her last breath was a new experience. Hope she left the world comforted. Am home now on my phone. Hospice and family tending to her.

Just feels odd. Not bad or creepy just a bit sobering knowing I'm the last thing she heard.

mo

Reaction score
I'm celebrating thanksgiving today, but it's sorta late and my mom said we can't get a christmas tree today :stick_out_tongue:

Vincent L

Reaction score
Feel a bit surreal. On my overnight shift tonight my client died. Wasn't a shock, but actually holding a stranger's hand and singing to her as she took her last breath was a new experience. Hope she left the world comforted. Am home now on my phone. Hospice and family tending to her.

Just feels odd. Not bad or creepy just a bit sobering knowing I'm the last thing she heard.
Excuse me, what was your job again?

But I'm sure she left the world comforted.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Today I will be doing nothing!!! I am finished my Christmas decorating inside. Just have to put up some lights outside! But I'll do that on Monday. Today I'm just going to watch football and cook dinner and maybe do some laundry.

charlietheowl

Reaction score

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you were there helping as she passed. It must have been an emotional scene.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Newsmanfan, if I may say so, that was one of the most beautiful, haunting things I've ever read. Wow.

As for me, I went to church with UC, worked on my Spanish project, cleaned my room and worked on a cosplay outfit that just had a major setback. :mad: Oh well, the more you know and all that. :big_grin:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------
Thanks all... Vincent, I work as a senior caregiver (nonmedical). Yeah, it was just...strange. There was this definite moment when I knew she was about to go (I was actually scooping her cats' litterboxes and suddenly the room felt different; when I turned around her eyes were open for first time all night). All that cliche'd stuff about the "death rattle" and staring off into the beyond? True. Not something I'll ever forget. I didn't even know her at all (only had 2 shifts watching over her) but was struggling not to let crying interfere with my singing so she could be heralded out properly. As I am not religious and know no hymns I sang a couple of Sufi songs I learned as a kid; hope they suited.

My life has become extremely surreal in the past few weeks. Have more to say but it belongs over in the "something weird" thread...
--------------

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Your a good person newsman you don't ever forget things like that. And I'm sure she heard you and left with a smile on her face.