The “What did you do today?” thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ben Stiller is doing something incredibly awesome: he's bringing back DODGEBALL (as you guys know is one of my favorite movies) for a charity showdown between Globo Gym and Average Joe's, and if you make a donation to the Stiller Foundation, you get entries for a chance to win an opportunity to play in the game, for either team. I made a donation and also got an incentive (I chose an Average Joe's t-shirt), now all I have to do is wait for the announcements to be made in August.

I know I won't win, but it's still a fun opportunity I couldn't pass up anyway.

cjd874

Reaction score
Any Steely Dan fans out there? I watched this TV special from 2000 and it's pretty awesome. There's a tight rhythm section, a smooth horn section, and a smoking trio of backing singers (in more ways than one). Many hits like "Peg" and newer songs like "What a Shame About Me." Plus, some wry interviews from Donald Fagen and Walter Becker.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Any Steely Dan fans out there? I watched this TV special from 2000 and it's pretty awesome. There's a tight rhythm section, a smooth horn section, and a smoking trio of backing singers (in more ways than one). Many hits like "Peg" and newer songs like "What a Shame About Me." Plus, some wry interviews from Donald Fagen and Walter Becker.
*raises hand* Me!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I showed my seven year old brother some episodes of Between the Lions. He said "This show makes me sad because it's so old."

Yesterday I went to a birthday party. That was fun. The first one i'd been to in about ten years.

Last edited:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Thank you very much! There were plenty of pictures taken and I even got some gifts from my parents with one more possibly (hopefully) coming on the way from somebody very special to me.
Ended up getting a teen facial from Elizabeth Grady, wireless earbuds, and an iTunes gift card which I gave to my dad because I am getting something else with the money instead.

cjd874

Reaction score
W00t! What will you be playing?
I'll be playing percussion instruments and keyboards for both shows. Sorry for the late reply, I meant to get back to you sooner. There are 22 musicians (including myself) in the West Side Story orchestra, and 13 for Seussical. It's going to be cramped, but fun nonetheless!

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I'll be playing percussion instruments and keyboards for both shows. Sorry for the late reply, I meant to get back to you sooner. There are 22 musicians (including myself) in the West Side Story orchestra, and 13 for Seussical. It's going to be cramped, but fun nonetheless!
I didn't even know you even played keys! And what percussion instruments again?

cjd874

Reaction score
I didn't even know you even played keys! And what percussion instruments again?
Too many to list here, but mostly Latin percussion and hand drums, triangle, tambourine, shakers, and cymbals. I'm practicing the vibraphone, xylophone, timpani, and bell parts on an electronic keyboard since there is no room for all of those instruments in our pit.

I've been a drummer and percussionist for over ten years, so I'm pretty comfortable with these parts. On the other hand, I've been playing keyboards for only about two years. I'm not Daniel Barenboim or Lang Lang by any stretch, but I think I can hold my own on simple things if I have enough time to practice.

West Side Story is full of contemporary jazz and Latin music ("Cool," "Mambo," and "America"), while Seussical contains whimsical pop, Latin grooves, folk ballads, and gospel ("Oh The Thinks You Can Think," "Amazing Mayzie," "Solla Sollew," and "Biggest Blame Fool"). In short, both musicals have MANY styles of music that each musician must be prepared to play for long periods of time. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it if you're into this kind of stuff.