The Amazing World of Gumball Thread

Which character is your favorite?

• Total voters

Drtooth

Reaction score
The "new" (read held completely over for gimmicky reasons) episodes are set to air this week. The plus side of having to wait almost 5 months longer than the rest of the world is that were' getting the season 4 opener before anyone else on Friday. Looks like they're continuing the plot thread from "The Nobody."

Harleena

Reaction score
The "new" (read held completely over for gimmicky reasons) episodes are set to air this week. The plus side of having to wait almost 5 months longer than the rest of the world is that were' getting the season 4 opener before anyone else on Friday. Looks like they're continuing the plot thread from "The Nobody."
Oh, that's gonna be awesome as heck!

I can't wait! First new Gumball, then Stevenbomb 3.0! Plus MOAR ROB!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Was kinda hoping for more Clarence then more Steven, but I'm not going to look that gift horse in the mouth.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That wasn't quite what I expected, but Gumball's spiral into madness (and it's start in "The Society") is pretty grim for a kid's show. I'm guessing the rewrites ad to do something with the ending

where they were there the whole time and Gumball was too consumed by depression and mental instability to notice.

And now that I think about it, that is pretty dark comedy and an esoteric happy ending. Heck, that bit in the middle where he's watching depressing news reports only to have a commercial with a vain model is pretty dark commentary.

So I'm guessing

The family running away from the void is part of "The Nemisis" where Rob comes back as a villain after pledging to be one in "The Nobody." Clips of them starting to disappear and degrade have been seen in the week long promos.

Can't wait for that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know this is a week overdue, but I was able to catch this episode again. Anyone else see "The Nemisis" yet? A great episode overall, and perfectly in the shows subversive and deconstructive tone. But the real surprise was David Warner's return to television animation. Haven't heard his voice since the 90's in shows like Freakazoid and Toonsylvania.

Also, loved "The Money's" dark sequence of running out of animation budget. Everyone who's seen Chowder remembers that hilarious and adorable scene where they blew all their money at the mall and the voice actors and actress had to run a charity car wash. Those with a crush on Tara Strong might remember it really well. :wink: Gumball did something much less cute and much more horrifying and dark (as usual). Their animation degraded in frightening ways, and all their townsfolk devolved from CGI to wire frame to glitches on the screen. That scene was brilliant.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, loved "The Money's" dark sequence of running out of animation budget. Everyone who's seen Chowder remembers that hilarious and adorable scene where they blew all their money at the mall and the voice actors and actress had to run a charity car wash. Those with a crush on Tara Strong might remember it really well. :wink: Gumball did something much less cute and much more horrifying and dark (as usual). Their animation degraded in frightening ways, and all their townsfolk devolved from CGI to wire frame to glitches on the screen. That scene was brilliant.
Don't forget the devolution to storyboards and sticky note doodles. :smile:

Overall, that episode was a nice look into the concept of selling out and whether or not it would be appropriate in given situations. It's also another one of those "series fauxnales" that gives it a feeling of closure but leaves it open for continuation in case they're not sure of the series gets cancelled, just like the season 2 finale aptly titled "The Finale".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus, it gives another glimpse into Gumball's hypocritical self righteousness. Like "The Potato," only with bigger consequences. Gumball can make a point, and he'll usually stick up for it until it's inconvenient for himself. This is the first time I really saw him sticking to that until just the end. Like in "The Sweaters" where Gumball refuses to give in to fighting the Richwood students, but then willfully gives in when Penny says it's brave of him to stand up for his school. It gives a nice sense of nuance to the social commentary here. The message is clear. Money is a great thing to stand up against until you know you need it. Also, the show runner knew the show has been cleared through the fifth season at least (we've just started a couple episodes of 4), so I don't think that's quite the case.

The Nemisis reminds me of the episode with Sarah G. Latto. It shows Gumball can indeed be the bigger man and help out those who are actually injurious to his well being. He took pity on a stalker instead of calling the police in that one. Not the safest and wisest thing to do, but oddly heartwarming. It's great that Gumball and Darwin actually took some pity on Rob Dr. Wrecker and guided him on his path to evil, which will no doubt bite them on the butt in a later episode. But you gotta admit, they took the time and effort to guide someone who hated them and vowed revenge (for stupid reasons if you think about it. They only remembered Molly after investigation, and they actually knew her). Sometimes Gumball can be a real jerk (and most times he owns up to it), but sometimes he's actually the surprisingly sane one in the series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yesterday's episode has referenced something plaguing cartoons about children going to school since their inception. What about the other classes and students? Also giving the reason why Anais is sometimes at their school and sometimes not. She's in the class above them.

Love how the episode stuck it to teen dramas and how they're completely incompatible with wackier cartoons.