The Amazing World of Gumball Thread

Which character is your favorite?

• Total voters

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering the show's home country is the UK, which once called a certain cartoon series "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" and had issue with "hit your self in the crotch" sticks, but not "stabby stabby" weapons, I can totally see where that level of hypocritical censorship comes in. To this day, I'm still confounded how "The Fraud" was able to get the ending it did and hasn't been been pulled from rotation. Heck, just hearing Mr. Brown say he was going to blow up the school made me fall out of my chair, shouting "How did that get by the network?"

Then again, as a huge Ultimate Muscle fan, I love how they couldn't say a character died (and they gave it the most over the top passive aggressive translation possible), but they made insanely inappropriate innuendos. ("We can have a foursome...for golf" and my favorite "There's something that got into the Kid. And I know it isn't steroids because his urine came back clean.")

mr3urious

Reaction score
Considering the show's home country is the UK, which once called a certain cartoon series "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" and had issue with "hit your self in the crotch" sticks, but not "stabby stabby" weapons, I can totally see where that level of hypocritical censorship comes in. To this day, I'm still confounded how "The Fraud" was able to get the ending it did and hasn't been been pulled from rotation. Heck, just hearing Mr. Brown say he was going to blow up the school made me fall out of my chair, shouting "How did that get by the network?"
And I almost forgot about the infamous one where Gumball blew Alan... up with air in a boys' bathroom stall as emotional blackmail.

http://www.cracked.com/article_22360_7-incredibly-inappropriate-moments-in-famous-cartoons.html

Drtooth

Reaction score
There seems to be a show called "Counterfeit Cat" that's airing on Disney XD and if I read the small amount of info on the show correctly, it seems like some Gumball talent is behind it. Like one of the show runners left Gumball to work on it or something. Probably uses the same pool of voice talent. I caught an episode, and the animation looks very much like Gumball, only instead of everything looking completely different (yet similar) with each other, it's all the same style with cartoon backdrops.

I quite enjoyed it, actually. Might watch some more.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Looks like Cartoon Network is finally airing the entire theme song now like they do in the UK. I never understood why up until this point they never used the intro considering it's only like 20 seconds long.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Because they can air a full additional commercial by cutting the theme song out.

Personally, I'm a little more annoyed that when the Clarence episode "L'il Buddy" airs in a block, they cut out the cold opening and the theme song, taking the irony of the end of the episode out.

mr3urious

Reaction score
New episodes have begun showing, and you just gotta love how irrationally the Wattersons behaved around a homesick Darwin rather than talk about his problem.
Of course, his homesickness was all a ploy to emotionally blackmail his mom into buying him a bigger fish tank, which makes him a true Watterson after all. Too bad he's still not getting that tank.

mr3urious

Reaction score
"The Fury" was a totally awesome episode. They actually commissioned Studio 4C to animate an anime fight sequence between Nicole and Yuki (Masami's mom). CN hasn't worked with them since they cancelled Transformers Animated! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Didn't they also do the also cancelled, but more recent Thundercats series. Thought they did.

Anyway I'm equally impressed by the fact that someone was able to do such a great forgery of Early Dragon Ball for the flashback segment. The fact they chose a Japanese animation firm to animate an anime sequence sounds like it should be an obvious choice, I've seen too many not anime looking anime sequences in cartoons. Good that they had the budget and foresight to do that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Looked it up and it was one of several studios used in the production of Thundercats. Toei actually wasn't one of them.

But I remember reading the name of the studio somewhere about the new Thundercats.

I'm just glad they had enough money in the budget for a guest animation studio.

Anyway, I also really liked the cable detective show parody episode and how it kinda lampshaded how goofy it was to elevate the situation to that level of seriousness.