1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Animal Show

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by davesdrums, Nov 7, 2003.

1. davesdrums New Member

I noticed The Animal Show season two was filmed in the UK on the timeline? Can anyone provide any information on this show?
  2. JaniceFerSure Active Member

Hiya,I hope this helps you.

Jim Henson's Animal Show premiered in 1994(to 1997,65 episodes in total). Jim Henson's Animal Show is an educational show primarily aimed at a preschool audience, but it also has something to offer older viewers. Because the show focuses on animals rather than basic concepts like the alphabet, non-preschool viewers can even learn some interesting things by watching it. It's kind of like a PBS nature show in which all the animals talk.Jake and Stinky are extremely engaging and warm hosts. Jake the polar bear (performed by Muppeteer Steve Whitmire) is a sensible father figure, laughing with Stinky and keeping the show moving. He's an incredibly beautiful puppet, with a very big, expressive face and huge black eyes that actually move and blink (thanks to the Henson remote-control technology). Stinky the skunk (Dave Goelz) is the comic member of the team. He gets excited about irrelevant things, asks silly questions, and tries to imitate other animals. The dynamic between the two hosts is a useful educating tool; Stinky will often get a funny wrong idea about something, which Jake will have to explain. :zany:
  3. Klonoa New Member

I loved The Animal Show. What JaniceFerSure posted about Stinky getting the wrong idea about something and Jake having to explain it is so true. I remember one time Stinky and Jake were watching an animal video and Stinky said, "Hey that one animal is giving the other a piggyback ride." and Jake said, "No, they're mating."

I have a question about The Animal Show. I always really liked the animal puppets they used on that show. Especially the Wildebeest puppet. One of my favorite Muppets is Joe the Armadillo from Kermit's Swamp Years (that's the only good part about Swamp Years, really). I couldn't imagine them making such a nice armadillo puppet just for Swamp Years, so I was wondering if there was an episode of The Animal Show where they talked about armadillos, and if Joe the Armadillo, or that same armadillo puppet under a different name, was on the show and they just reused it for the DVD documentary on Swamp Years? Anyone know? Anyone care?

--Klonoa
    The Wildebeest puppet sounded like Joel from MST3K.
  4. Xerus Active Member

Yes, I think the Animal Show is a very neat and creative series from the Henson company. It was fun watching the openning and wondering what kind of animals would be featured. But I kind of got dissapointed when they started bringing back animals they already interviewed. Like another Wart Hog and Baboon show when they alread did a Wart Hog and Walrus show and a Wolf and Baboon show. But it was still fun to watch.

And to answer your question. Yes, that same armadillo muppet was on the Animal Show. Only he was called Dooley and he had a voice that sounded like Arnold Horseshack. And he sang a song called, Armadillo Day, where a small town was having a festival to celebrate armadillos. That was neat.
  5. Klonoa New Member

Cool! Thanks for answering my question. Wonder if that's the last we'll see of Joe. Aw.

--Klonoa
    Have an armadilly day!
  6. Xerus Active Member

Thanks Klonoa and your welcome. :) I too wonder if we'll ever see Joe again too.

I've also seen some of those Animal Show made animals appear on Muppets Tonight and on Sesame Street.

Happy Armadilly day to you too! :)

Xerus
  7. Klonoa New Member

Xerus, have you seen this?

www.joethearmadillo.com

--Klonoa
    Do you think the peacock on the 35th Sesame Street special was first on The Animal Show?
  8. Xerus Active Member

That Joe site looked pretty interesting, even though all the links were still under construction. But I'll probably check back in a few days though. :)

And I don't think they ever had a peacock on The Animal Show at all. There were quite a few animals they left out on that series I think they should've had. Like the panda, platypus, bush baby, ladybug, locust, and termite.
  9. muppet_dk Active Member

Don't bother. It's always under construction. It' been that way since 2002.
  10. Klonoa New Member

It's supposed to be always under construction. That's just the way Joe is! He's awesome.

Did they ever do frogs on The Animal Show? I think there might have been a frog puppet around that they could've used for that. Maybe. :)

--Klonoa
  11. Xerus Active Member

Yes, the did an episode about the Kangaroo and the Frog. And another that's similar about the Toad and the Elephant Seal. And they did another frog show about the Owl and the Frog.
  12. teebs New Member

I never saw the show, but I heard that there was an episode that had a segment with Dave Goelz and his family. Does anyone have any more info on this?
  13. The Storyteller New Member

Does it come on TV in the US? What Channel? :concern:
  14. teebs New Member

I don't think it airs in the US anymore...:(
  15. Xerus Active Member

I know Steve Whitmire voices Jake. But doesn't Jake sound almost like Jim Henson though? With that deep fatherly voice of his? I bet Jim would've been proud of that series while watching it from Heaven.
  16. Klonoa New Member

I thought The Animal Show was great. Very Henson-ey.

--Klonoa
  17. Xerus Active Member

Another cool thing about The Animal Show is that around the beginning, they show animals films to classic songs from Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, and Muppet Movies. For example....

The Muppet Movie's "Moving Right Along" to a film about migrating animals.

Fraggle Rock's "Tree of Life", to a film about tree dwelling animals.

Fraggle Rock's "Catch the Tail by the Tiger", to a film about animal's with tails.

Muppet Babies' "Running Out of Time", to a film about endangered species.

And Zoot's and Mahna Mahna's "Sax and Violence" tune to a film about horned animals.

Yep, I'm sure you'd recognize some familiar songs from the past if you've watched this neat series. :)
  18. Skekayuk Member

All three Seasons of The Animal Show were filmed in England. That's why apart from Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire, they generally used their British puppeteers (such as: Louise Gold, Catherine Smee, and, Mike Quinn) on it. It would have made it easier not having to deal with work permits etc.
  19. Xerus Active Member

Yep, it was filmed in England. And I heard they used the original writing staff and crew from the Muppet Show to make this series.

Also, just like how the Muppet Show lasted longer in England and some segments had to be cut in the states. The Animal Show was like that too. When it aired on FOX, the habitat time segments were cut. When it reaired on the Animal Planet channel. They included habitat time, but had to cut out either the Yves cooking skits, the Animal Awards, or the second Rhonda Rat interviews.
  20. Xerus Active Member

Another thing I like about The Animal Show is how nobody is cruel or mean spirited on that show. When I first watched it, I always thought when these fierce animals like a tiger or lion would appear, they would start attacking everybody. But they're really friendly and well behaved. :)

It just shows that certain animals don't chase and eat other animals just to be mean. They only do it for food. In the Cheetah and Gazelle episode, the two guests got along pretty well with each other. Swifty the Cheetah wasn't hungry then so Tommy the Gazelle didn't have to fear him, for now.