The ant and the aardvark

Ziffel

Reaction score
Doea anyone remember the classic cartoon, "The ant and the aardvark" from 1969-1971? Or has anyone seen it on cartoon network before? I remember these in the early 70's being shown as the middle segment of "The Pink Panther" cartoon. It was really fun. The guy who talked the aardvark did a great Jackie Mason impression. And he also did a great Dean Martin impression for the ant. I found a neat site on this show where you can download and watch the episodes on your computer:

http://users.telenet.be/U96/AA/index.html

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I do, from reruns on Cartoon Network in their early days. I actually have two episodes of The Ant and the Aardvark, two of The Inspector and about thirty or so Pink Panther episodes. Great cartoons indeed, I love all the Depatie-Freleng stuff. The Inspector and Pink Panther cartoons are my favorite ones though. John Byner did the voices of both the Ant and the Aardvark. They were produced from 1969 to 1971 and were first released theatrically. Only 17 episodes were made. Check out the Depatie-Freleng section of The Big Cartoon Database They have the descriptions and credits for all the D-F cartoons there, it's swell.

Ziffel

Reaction score
That's really cool, FISH'N'WOLFE. I also really liked "The Pink Panther" cartoons, but haven't seen them since the 70's. I see the complete series (something like 120 episodes) is coming out on dvd soon. It will coincide with the new "Pink Panther" theatrical movie in February with Steve Martin. And. of course, I LOVE the Henry Mancini pink panther theme song.
It's really cool nostalgia getting to see these "Ant and Aardvark" cartoons again from that site. I've watched two of the 17 so far.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
That is fantastic, I didn't know they were releasing all the PP cartoons on DVD. I'll definitely be picking that up. Thanks for posting the link to the A&TA cartoons as well, great find there. I love the Mancini PP theme as well, it's a great piece of composing. I'm partial to the Sellers films, but I probably will check out the Martin version just to see how it is.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
These were the best cartoons ever! I loved the Pink Panther and the Ant and Aardvark! I also liked the Inspector cartoons. I'd love to see them all together again, I wish I had Boomerang. I will definately check out that site Ziffel, thanks for sharing it!!!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thought it'd be neat to temporarily switch to an avatar of the blue aardvark. My first non-Ziffel avatar, but he does kind of resemble Ziffel anyhow. :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
The Aardvark always had the funniest lines in each cartoon.

"Hey Ant, I'm gonna move you into a new neighborhood, MY STOMACH!"

"Slow down! You're gonna run all your fat off!"

Ziffel

Reaction score
LOL, those are great. Yes that aardvark rocks! Beau had a thread recently asking whether you like Tom or Jerry better. I would think for the ant and the aardvark the aardvark should win by unanimous votes. His lines were great and the way he said them in that Jackie Mason voice made them all the funnier. Though the ant's Dean Martin voice was cool too.
I just watched several more of these cartoons. Love when he battles the green aardvark! :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
I like how sometimes in the beginnings, the Aardvark tells us that he's an anteater and he eats ants. I guess he doesn't know that anteaters and aardvarks are two different animals.