The Aquabats

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Is anybody else a fan of this band? They're a five-piece New Wave-influenced musical group (headed by the creator of Yo Gabba Gabba, Christian Jacobs), and were originally an eight-piece ska band. I'm a huge fan of their music, and also a fan of their TV show, "The Aquabats: Super Show", which is a homage to the campy children's shows from the '60s.

What makes them different from other rock bands is that they dress up like a band of superheroes, and have theatrical concert performances with various stunts and staged fights with costumed villains.

Here's one of their songs (to get a taste of what they sound like)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've only seen Youtube footage of their concert with one of the Puppet versions of the Homestar Runner characters. 90% sure it was Strongbad. But awesome stuff. I wanna get the DVD of their TV show so I can actually watch the thing.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Was this the one you saw?

Drtooth said:
I wanna get the DVD of their TV show so I can actually watch the thing.
Every store I've been to doesn't have it in stock. I've already seen all the episodes, but I want to get the DVD for the bonus features.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Christian Jacobs seems to know lots of people. Weird Al has been featured on YGG and The Aquabats: Super Show, the same goes for My Chemical Romance (the singer of MCR also was the moderator for the Aquabats panel at Comic-Con). Also, The Aquabats did a collab with Strong Bad for a song, and Matt Chapman was the villain in a TA:SS episode.
Sadly, the Aquabats are still only known by the mainstream as "that one band the Blink-182 drummer played in", despite being around for almost two decades.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Their show on the Hub is so weird, and still funny. Very good parody of cheesy, 70's saturday morning shows.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I like how the show is half cartoon/half live-action. The style of the cartoon parts are reminiscent of anime (it was designed by a Japanese Aquabats fan, after all).

Here's what the cartoon part looks like:
http://www.wb.commufa.jp/ptm/tasssc_001.htm

snichols1973

Reaction score
I just noticed that the pilot episode, which consists of "Tortilla Trouble!" and "It's a Beautiful Underworld" hasn't yet been aired on the Hub; then again, it is the Hub's "summer vacation lineup", which should be wrapping up as August draws near, and the new school year is drawing near; perhaps future episodes will be shown as networks approach their "fall lineups" period, which can make or break a new TV series based on the quality (or deficiency) of its material and audience appeal.....

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Here's a kind of mini-documentary about The Aquabats (it doesn't go beyond 2003, though)

It has lots of old footage that's not on YouTube.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Here's a weird ad for a "Giant Robot-Birdhead" action figure, which is the one from the Aquabats song of the same name. It's a fake commercial, like the one's in The Aquabats: Super Show.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I just noticed that the pilot episode, which consists of "Tortilla Trouble!" and "It's a Beautiful Underworld" hasn't yet been aired on the Hub; then again, it is the Hub's "summer vacation lineup", which should be wrapping up as August draws near, and the new school year is drawing near; perhaps future episodes will be shown as networks approach their "fall lineups" period, which can make or break a new TV series based on the quality (or deficiency) of its material and audience appeal.....
Both parts of the pilot were including on the DVD. I think it hasn't aired on the Hub because it's too different from the actual show, as there are multiple differences and lots of Early Installment Weirdness when compared to the final product.