The average cost of extras in a film or series

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Does anybody here know what the average cost of having an exra appear in a film, TV or stage production cost? Is it normally cheap or expensive? Am I right in thinking that extras don't get paid residuals or royalties?

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
99% of extras are unpaid

i have been in 14 movies only paid once ( hey Philly is mini hollywood)

5-6 Bruce Willis movies
and M.night's Unbreakable
and a bunch of inderpendint films

MGov

Reaction score
It depends on where the movie is being shot, the budget level, and whether or not the production company has a contract with SAG (Screen Actors Guild). SAG has different rules for L.A. and NYC than say Chicago or Philly.

There are people here in L.A. who actually make a living as an extra, especially if they become a regular background on a TV show. For instance, on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", many of the background patrons of Quark's bar were the same people for the entire run of the series. The character of Morn was the same guy in a full suit and mask for the seven years the show ran. I don't think he had any lines because then he wouldn't have been an extra anymore and would have been paid more money.

If the production isn't a SAG signatory, then they can pay anything or nothing but meals.

editted to actually answer the questions asked:

Extras do not get residuals.

As stated above, you can get away with just feeding the extras, so it can be pretty cheap.

Don't know about "extras" for the stage. That would fall under Actors Equity, the union for stage actors. But I'm sure there is a minimum for even the guy playing the butler on Broadway.

Here's a web page that gives good info About Extras

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
The Screen Actors Guild calls them Background Actors and in the current contract, they make $122 a day for 8 hours, overtime after that. Special Ability, which can include anything from juggling to just having a character name (like the example of Morn in the last post) gets you $132 a day. Stand-Ins, the people that do the blocking for the lighting technicians, get $137 a day.

In commercials, all Background Players make $291.80.

In addition to wages, the Producers pay into their benefit plans so they can earn a pension and health coverage.

Why do I know so much about Background Players? In a former life, I was one. You can see me in Goldie Hawn's movie, "Protocol", Mel Brooks' movie "To Be or Not to Be" and I was in "Strange Brew" with Bob and Doug MacKenzie, but you won't be able to find me in it. My biggest job... a whole three weeks... was on the movie "Flashdance". I was one of the bar patrons and yes, I was there for the famous water drop dance.

I was also Paul Williams' stand-in on an episode of "The Fall Guy". That was how I got to meet him the first time.

:stick_out_tongue:

superfan

Reaction score
I got $8 a hour for being an extra in a made for tv movie in Toronto...it was in 95, though so I may be a bit off on the exact amount, but I had fun.

superfan

Reaction score
Yeah, but you were in a movie with Bruce Willis. THAT is cool.